British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/)
-   -   Those lazy, hazy days of Summer (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/those-lazy-hazy-days-summer-840112/)

bakedbean Aug 3rd 2014 1:12 pm

Those lazy, hazy days of Summer

Is it me or is the haze worse this year compared to previous years? Just seems to be going on and on.

Bocat Aug 4th 2014 3:39 am

Re: Those lazy, hazy days of Summer

It hasn't been noticeable in Johor (only for a few days about 5/6 weeks ago). Last year's would take some beating!

Bluenose1 Aug 4th 2014 5:10 am

Originally Posted by Bocat (Post 11357498)
It hasn't been noticeable in Johor (only for a few days about 5/6 weeks ago). Last year's would take some beating!

Same inMelaka - about a week or 2 before the start of Ramadan, and only for about a week.

bakedbean Aug 4th 2014 8:31 am

Just up North then :( It's really not nice. I have a friend in Ipoh and she says it's bad there as well. She posted some pics on Facebook and it looks much the same as Penang haze-wise.

InVinoVeritas Aug 7th 2014 3:40 am

Fresh air at last today. Let's hope that's the end of the hot and hazy weather.

bakedbean Aug 7th 2014 1:26 pm

Yes wasn't it a glorious day today. Let's hope we get a clear run now until the September big rains :fingerscrossed:

bakedbean Aug 20th 2014 1:32 pm

Still lovely weather in Penang. Those on holiday are having some luck. Quite a few showers to freshen it up but some nice sunshine in between and not too humid.

bakedbean Jun 25th 2015 9:02 am

Those hazy days are here again. Oh joys (not) :(

Article in the Star Online says that the haze is "moderate" currently with a reading of 62 at 11am this morning.

API (Air Pollutant Index) scale is:
0 to 50: Good
51 to 100: Moderate
101 to 200: Unhealthy
201 to 300: Very unhealthy
301 and above: Hazardous

Here's the Star's article:
Moderate haze shrouds Penang - Nation | The Star Online

steveMY Jun 26th 2015 4:05 am

if you have a look here
http://aqicn.org/map/malaysia/#@g/2.787/101.5114/7z
you are always up-to-date

bakedbean Jun 26th 2015 8:45 am

Thanks - good site :thumbup:

BEVS Jun 29th 2015 10:38 pm

What do you do if the air quality is not too good. We get that here in winter with all the log burners. The air quality can be not too good if the early morning or early evening is still . Mr BEVS is OK but it catches me .

InVinoVeritas Jun 30th 2015 1:00 am

Get ill, pray for rain!

Not sure where the haze is coming from, normally it is burning in Sumatra after the palm oil harvest but I haven't seen that mentioned as the cause this time.

Even with doors and windows closed it gets in, I say this because my place was closed up for 2 months and yet there was a fine coating of black dust everywhere.

bakedbean Aug 29th 2015 7:43 am

I'm fed up with it. When's it going to rain?

According to SteveMY's link, we are currently 83.... higher end of Moderate. Think I shall fly away somewhere next year :sneaky:

InVinoVeritas Aug 29th 2015 9:08 am

Originally Posted by bakedbean (Post 11735672)
I'm fed up with it. When's it going to rain?

According to SteveMY's link, we are currently 83.... higher end of Moderate. Think I shall fly away somewhere next year :sneaky:

Good idea Beebie!

bakedbean Sep 2nd 2015 12:38 pm

Singapore seems to be getting the haze worse than us, according to the link.

Anyways, it is September the rainiest month of the year :sneaky: so the air should be clearing soon with the monsoon rains.