British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/)
-   -   Think of moving from Thailand to Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/think-moving-thailand-malaysia-884068/)

Catebite Oct 1st 2016 12:07 pm

Think of moving from Thailand to Malaysia

2 Brits with 7 cats think of moving from Thailand to Malaysia as retirees, been living here 15 years and need new focus, would appreciate suggestions on possible locations - but would want house with garden.
Thanks in advance

bakedbean Oct 1st 2016 2:55 pm

Re: Think of moving from Thailand to Malaysia

Malaysia is a big country. You will see from this forum that most retirees seem to pick Penang island. So it would probably be top of your list to check out. You would rent? Check out houses in Bath Ferringhi, Tanjung Bungah, Tanjung Tokong. Also Tanjung Pinang / Straits quay if your budget will allow.

Take a holiday and see if the island appeals to you.

I also,have friends living in Melaka. It's cheaper to rent down there and you have the proximity of KLIA. But maybe not as much to do as Penang.

NeonHippy Oct 2nd 2016 4:00 am

Originally Posted by bakedbean (Post 12066124)
Malaysia is a big country. You will see from this forum that most retirees seem to pick Penang island. So it would probably be top of your list to check out. You would rent? Check out houses in Bath Ferringhi, Tanjung Bungah, Tanjung Tokong. Also Tanjung Pinang / Straits quay if your budget will allow.

Take a holiday and see if the island appeals to you.

I also,have friends living in Melaka. It's cheaper to rent down there and you have the proximity of KLIA. But maybe not as much to do as Penang.

Pretty much as bb says the popular landing point for expats is Penang but with the popularity comes increased price. If you are looking for a house with some garden for your cats you will find buying in Penang very expensive compared to just about anywhere in Thailand. Rental prices in Penang are a bit more realistic. Also if you read some of the threads here you will notice concerns about if/when the property bubble will burst in Penang.

It also depends on your lifestyle and hobbies. If you are just looking to chill out and relax consider renting on Langkawi (it is very hard to find a place to buy there). But if you want to eat out a lot and enjoy occasional cultural activities Penang would be first choice.

Epicurious Oct 2nd 2016 6:33 am

Not an answer to your question, but as someone who has seriously considered moving the other way, but always ended up deciding against it, I wonder if you have any comments to make about the aspects of expat life in Thailand that have caused you to look at this move after 15 years there?

If the reasons are purely personal then please disregard my intrusion. :)

gugs Oct 5th 2016 1:22 pm

We live in Melaka. The pace of life is slower then Penang but it has lots of landed properties. We considered Penang but decided on Melaka because of its proximity to KLIA and the desire to live in a landed property. We built our own house (now for sale) as we are thinking spending six months abroad and six here.

kiat137 Oct 11th 2016 5:56 am

Original Malaysian here. Melaka is my hometown.
Melaka will be best choice to consider because of proximity to KLIA, Kuala Lumpur (Capital city), and of course lower price to get landed property.

Jules.Dot.Sam Oct 17th 2016 12:01 am

Originally Posted by Catebite (Post 12066027)
2 Brits with 7 cats think of moving from Thailand to Malaysia as retirees, been living here 15 years and need new focus, would appreciate suggestions on possible locations - but would want house with garden.
Thanks in advance

I am moving to Penang in early March with my two cats from Cambodia. Your cats will have to go into quarrantine for at least 7 days. How are your transporting them?

Bluenose1 Oct 18th 2016 2:23 am

It's been a long time since I posted here - mainly because our house build took up so much of our time over the last couple of years. I too live in Melaka, at Batu Berendam, near the airport - a bit too near, actually, as the flight path comes straight past the house!

If (when) you are looking at buying a house, you will have to take certain legalities into consideration, such as foreigners not being allowed to own land (although there are ways around that) - of course, on the contrary, there is the possibility of buying a house under MM2H. What I would say, though, is that there are thousands upon thousands of houses that have been built (and are still being built) since we arrived here in 2013 that are lying empty. The vast majority of those, though, are linked houses (in the UK, the closest description would be Townhouses), and more often than not do not come with very much land.

Driving from the City towards Alor Gajah & the highway (KL/JB) you will see acre after acre of these. But not just on that route, in and around the City, and in particular the original (well, original reclaimed!) coast road running from Mahkota Parade all the way to Klebang. The "newer" coastal road also has new buildings going up all the time. A lot of these are detached - some have 3 floors, with inside lifts, but again they don't come with a huge amount of land/gardens. These are the more expensive ones. When they were available off-plan the asking price was in the region of RM2-3 million. On completion, I believe the price rocketed to over RM5 million, although I haven't been there since before they were completed, so I don't know how well they sold.

kiat137 Oct 18th 2016 2:35 am

Originally Posted by Bluenose1 (Post 12079349)
It's been a long time since I posted here - mainly because our house build took up so much of our time over the last couple of years. I too live in Melaka, at Batu Berendam, near the airport - a bit too near, actually, as the flight path comes straight past the house!

If (when) you are looking at buying a house, you will have to take certain legalities into consideration, such as foreigners not being allowed to own land (although there are ways around that) - of course, on the contrary, there is the possibility of buying a house under MM2H. What I would say, though, is that there are thousands upon thousands of houses that have been built (and are still being built) since we arrived here in 2013 that are lying empty. The vast majority of those, though, are linked houses (in the UK, the closest description would be Townhouses), and more often than not do not come with very much land.

Driving from the City towards Alor Gajah & the highway (KL/JB) you will see acre after acre of these. But not just on that route, in and around the City, and in particular the original (well, original reclaimed!) coast road running from Mahkota Parade all the way to Klebang. The "newer" coastal road also has new buildings going up all the time. A lot of these are detached - some have 3 floors, with inside lifts, but again they don't come with a huge amount of land/gardens. These are the more expensive ones. When they were available off-plan the asking price was in the region of RM2-3 million. On completion, I believe the price rocketed to over RM5 million, although I haven't been there since before they were completed, so I don't know how well they sold.

Welcome to live in my Hometown Malacca!:thumbsup:

PoolieAbroad Oct 18th 2016 6:26 am

For anyone wanting a decent plot land with a house on it in Melaka there are two golf courses with plots and ready built houses in various states of decoration and repair available.
Houses are from around 600k to 2.7m with quite a few available.
Land 6000 sq ft to 12,000 sq ft plus.
Rental is also possible.
If you are in a position to buy the land ( then design and build) and you can watch your house being built.
Both come with lifetime transferable golf membership and the various facilities like swimming pool etc.
Do not expect the standards of clubs in say KL or Singapore but they are generally acceptable.
Monthly dues are very low and Melaka Assessment charges are most acceptable.
I understand the MM2H requirement in Melaka State is 500k.........I emphasise its my understanding.

kiat137 Oct 18th 2016 6:36 am

Originally Posted by PoolieAbroad (Post 12079411)
For anyone wanting a decent plot land with a house on it in Melaka there are two golf courses with plots and ready built houses in various states of decoration and repair available.
Houses are from around 600k to 2.7m with quite a few available.
Land 6000 sq ft to 12,000 sq ft plus.
Rental is also possible.
If you are in a position to buy the land ( then design and build) and you can watch your house being built.
Both come with lifetime transferable golf membership and the various facilities like swimming pool etc.
Do not expect the standards of clubs in say KL or Singapore but they are generally acceptable.
Monthly dues are very low and Melaka Assessment charges are most acceptable.
I understand the MM2H requirement in Melaka State is 500k.........I emphasise its my understanding.

Buying property actually doesn't really related with having or without having MM2H.
For foreigner to purchase Melaka's property, Landed property must be minimum RM 1mil and above, high rise property Codo is minimum RM 500K and above.

Gunnar45 Oct 18th 2016 6:47 am

In Penang the property price limit for foreigners differs between holders of MM2H and others.

kiat137 Oct 18th 2016 6:49 am

Originally Posted by Gunnar45 (Post 12079419)
In Penang the property price limit for foreigners differs between holders of MM2H and others.

Yes, at the moment only Penang allow foreigners who has MM2H to purchase property below RM 1mil. Limited to maximum 2 units.

Thairetired2016 Dec 6th 2016 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by Catebite (Post 12066027)
Thanks in advance

Hi,
We also live in Thailand, and we consider moving to Penang or Melaka. Reason is getting a non-O visa gets forever more difficult.
We visited Penang a few months ago. I will find it difficult to leave Bkk after 12 years, hubby is quite happy to go.
Have you made a final decision yet, or perhaps moved yet?

Thairetired2016 Dec 6th 2016 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by Epicurious (Post 12066466)
Not an answer to your question, but as someone who has seriously considered moving the other way, but always ended up deciding against it, I wonder if you have any comments to make about the aspects of expat life in Thailand that have caused you to look at this move after 15 years there?

If the reasons are purely personal then please disregard my intrusion. :)

We consider moving from Bangkok to Penang. Reason are forever more difficult visa rules. Plus life is getting expensive. Unless you eat like a local cost for many items is no cheaper than Europe or Singapore. If you have any questions pls ask. Will try to help.