Relocating to KL

Old Jan 6th 2018, 12:53 pm
Just Joined

dc200 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Relocating to KL

Hi - I'm looking to access the hive of knowledge and insight here to help with information regarding potential move to KL.

Been approached about an expat assignment with current employer and locations could be either KL or Singapore. We have an office in KL so that seems marginally more logical but as I will be travelling most weeks either would work for international air travel.

As I would be away most weeks for some or all of the week my wife ( no kids) would be left behind in KL and we have read a variety of comments about safety and crime that basically have us confused. It's clear Singapore is one of the safest ( and most expensive) places to live on the planet and lots of the comments regarding safety comparing the two are written by Singaporeans and so I'm assuming everywhere is less safe so their perspective is narrowed somewhat?

Would like your view on quality of life for the other person in the relocated team, in this case my wife - no good moving somewhere if she will end up being unable to join clubs in the evenings if she cannot be out after dark alone e.g. coming back from social club or drama rehearsal

Thanks for bearing with us and reading to the end and we both appreciate any insight you can give
Alex
Old Jan 7th 2018, 4:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocating to KL

Originally Posted by dc200
Hi - I'm looking to access the hive of knowledge and insight here to help with information regarding potential move to KL.

Been approached about an expat assignment with current employer and locations could be either KL or Singapore. We have an office in KL so that seems marginally more logical but as I will be travelling most weeks either would work for international air travel.

As I would be away most weeks for some or all of the week my wife ( no kids) would be left behind in KL and we have read a variety of comments about safety and crime that basically have us confused. It's clear Singapore is one of the safest ( and most expensive) places to live on the planet and lots of the comments regarding safety comparing the two are written by Singaporeans and so I'm assuming everywhere is less safe so their perspective is narrowed somewhat?

Would like your view on quality of life for the other person in the relocated team, in this case my wife - no good moving somewhere if she will end up being unable to join clubs in the evenings if she cannot be out after dark alone e.g. coming back from social club or drama rehearsal

Thanks for bearing with us and reading to the end and we both appreciate any insight you can give
Alex
If I had to choose between the 2 cities, my choice would be Singapore. Reason is that I never have to worry about safety.
I visit Singapore frequently, but I have visited KL only a few times. My main issue are taxis. Have no desire to go back to KL.
Old Jan 7th 2018, 4:51 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thairetired2016
If I had to choose between the 2 cities, my choice would be Singapore. Reason is that I never have to worry about safety.
I visit Singapore frequently, but I have visited KL only a few times. My main issue are taxis. Have no desire to go back to KL.
Grab and Uber are fine. Most people living there use those.
Singapore is very expensive to live there, but it is safe and bland and boring and bubble.
KL is not safe everywhere, is not boring, and is less of a bubble. Think of it like London but smaller, good areas bad areas.
Old Jan 7th 2018, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
Grab and Uber are fine. Most people living there use those.
Singapore is very expensive to live there, but it is safe and bland and boring and bubble.
KL is not safe everywhere, is not boring, and is less of a bubble. Think of it like London but smaller, good areas bad areas.
No city is boring. It is as boring or as interesting as you want it to be. My niece would have been happy to extend her contract. Reason was great social life and feeling safe.
Old Jan 7th 2018, 10:58 am
BE Enthusiast

eCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond repute

Singapore is boring Definitely one of the most interesting cities in the world.

I would not say that "No city is boring" but at least I know no boring city in Malaysia.

Taxi are maybe one of the biggest reason FOR KL since we have UBER and GRAB
Old Jan 7th 2018, 9:55 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc200

Alex
Factor into the equation that KL main airport KLIA is not actually in KL. It's in Sepang about 60 to 90 minutes south of KL. Though you do have express trains from Sentral in centre of KL.

From a safety point of view, I would pick Singapore hands down. I go there frequently (I am a single woman). It's not crime free but you feel comfortable and there are plenty of things to do and get involved in if living there.

Re work package, I suggest you also post in the Singapore section of the forum for feedback.
Old Jan 9th 2018, 12:15 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder what makes Singapore bland and boring and bubble.

And what makes KL NOT bland and boring and bubble
Old Jan 10th 2018, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

In your circumstances I would choose Singapore and have a few visits to KL to see what you think... maybe transfer later?
Singapore Airport (Changi) is one of the nicest places to hang out as a traveller, far better than KL Airport.
There's a large expat wife community in Singapore.
It is likely safer.

I personally like KL more than Singapore. They each have pros and cons, and you may be able to change your mind later?
Old Jan 10th 2018, 3:24 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat100 is an unknown quantity at this point

+1 for Singapore. Spent 5 lovely years there, I wouldn't call it boring? Plenty other expats there for your wife to socialize with, as KL does too. Have a search through Facebook etc too see if there are any groups of interest to your wife.
As SOS said, Singapore is definitely not crime free, but I never felt uncomfortable there at any time of the day or night.