Thailand or Malaysia?

Old Oct 9th 2009, 5:48 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thailand or Malaysia?

I have a Thai wife, have visited every year for the last 15 years on average 4-6 weeks a year.

Would I live there? No way, and oddly enough most of my wives friends wouldn't either once they have lived in a Western country. It's a great place for a holiday and has great culture, food, fun etc - but for living there I think the reality is very much out of step with peoples dreams. Once you scratch beneath the surface of the Thais it changes your perspective of wanting to live there.

I think you can parallel a lot of the same problems to other Asian nations too.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 6:04 am
Just Joined

Sea Horse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sr71
I have a Thai wife, have visited every year for the last 15 years on average 4-6 weeks a year.

Would I live there? No way, and oddly enough most of my wives friends wouldn't either once they have lived in a Western country. It's a great place for a holiday and has great culture, food, fun etc - but for living there I think the reality is very much out of step with peoples dreams. Once you scratch beneath the surface of the Thais it changes your perspective of wanting to live there.

I think you can parallel a lot of the same problems to other Asian nations too.
You are so right... To come and have a nice holiday, nothing else. I'm just praying to be able to get out of here in some years. God help us!...
Old Oct 9th 2009, 9:45 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't like living there, why not move now?
Old Oct 9th 2009, 10:00 am
Just Joined

Sea Horse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bakedbean
If you don't like living there, why not move now?
I''ve already explained our situation in my very first post, don't want to repeat it, sorry...
Old Oct 10th 2009, 3:13 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry <duh> just re-read your first post and noted.
Old Oct 11th 2009, 1:25 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

I have not lived in Malaysia but lived in Bangkok for 5 years. Loved my time there. Met heaps of great people and loved my job. However it was never somewhere i could see myself living for the rest of my life. I have been over in Oz for the last 3 years and love it here. Sure Oz is not perfect. But where is? I'd say, if i had to live in LOS again. I would seriously think of Chiang Mai. Much friendlier and less traffic up there. Also a great bunch of expats, pubs and restaurants if you want that sort of thing. My wife is also Thai. She has said that she wouldnt want to live in Thailand and bring kids up there also. Best of luck with whatever you choose.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 6:48 am
Forum Regular

frogblogger is a name known to allfrogblogger is a name known to allfrogblogger is a name known to allfrogblogger is a name known to allfrogblogger is a name known to allfrogblogger is a name known to allfrogblogger is a name known to allfrogblogger is a name known to allfrogblogger is a name known to allfrogblogger is a name known to allfrogblogger is a name known to all

It's something you find chatting to expats when in Thailand - a kind of polarisation of views, between those who seem to hate Thailand, Thais, and the whole way of life, and believe that everything Western is superior... and those who think Thailand is paradise on Earth. As usual the truth lies somewhere inbetween.

Personally I have a great deal of respect for the Thai philosophy of life. Their fatalism, or realism, stems as much from the fact that life remains a daily struggle for survival for many, as from Buddhism. Riding bare-headed three to a motorcycle with baby in the driver's arms isn't so much an example of this fatalism, as some combination of ignorance, lack of education, and sheer necessity - often mostly the latter. Does anyone think they would still be doing that if they had the cash to go out and buy a new Toyota?

Living for today in some ways is pretty sensible. It means they spend their time in the present, not regretting the past, or worrying about the future. It doesn't mean they don't care for their own safety, or that of family and friends.

As for all the stuff from Chris about the wiring, night club safety standards, etc - that is nothing to do with the average Thai's attitude to life, and everything to do with rampant corruption and croneyism. Ok corruption is facilitated by the fact that the Thais are overly respectful of successful people, believing that they must have been good in previous lives to merit such rebirths. But the bottom line is that government officials and businessmen have made fortunes on the back of the poor, and safety standards have suffered as a result. Nothing particularly Thai about that, it's the same wherever you go in the third or developing world, where there is no, or only fledgling democracy.

(As for Chiang Mai Jockstar, sad to say the traffic is getting worse and worse, and the pollution rivals that of Bangkok these days )
Old Nov 1st 2009, 3:16 am

Originally Posted by frogblogger
It's something you find chatting to expats when in Thailand - a kind of polarisation of views, between those who seem to hate Thailand, Thais, and the whole way of life, and believe that everything Western is superior... and those who think Thailand is paradise on Earth. As usual the truth lies somewhere inbetween.
very true.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 2:22 pm
Just Joined

dkellymalaysia is an unknown quantity at this point

Simple answer why to chose Malaysia. You cannot own property in Thailand or have a business without a local partner. In Malaysia you can have either. English is pretty much the first language. Politically a lot more stabe. Its a no brainer.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 2:20 am

Dkelly agree with most of what you say there but a foreigner can own a property in Thailand just cannot own the land it is on - the land needs to be leased. I would concur that it is not, however, as straightforward as buying a property in Malaysia for sure. And English speaking is very nice in Malaysia Communication in Thailand can stretch the patience sometimes.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 3:39 am
Just Joined

dkellymalaysia is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,thats what I meant basically. But no point owning the built up property if you dont own the land (you cant take it with you when the lease is over). In Malaysia there is Freehold available in certain areas. Leasehold is risky I believe especially in a country that has such political instability. I have had staff stuck in Thailand while the airport was blocked. Also a lot revolves around the king. He is not well and I think if he dies things will become even more unstable. I would not recommend thailand as a place for anything other than a business trip or a holiday.