Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Tesco Supermarket, Tg Tokong

Tesco Supermarket, Tg Tokong

Old Jun 24th 2011, 7:25 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tesco Supermarket, Tg Tokong

Back in the UK at present, until next week anyway.

We used to be big Tesco fans here but these days we go to Aldi, Lidl and sometimes Farm Foods where there is some top quality stuff and usually cheaper than Tesco.
Big swing away from Tesco and the other major 'British' Supermarkets here to those european based ones.
Old Jun 24th 2011, 9:59 am
BE Enthusiast

columbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond repute

Bakedbean: haha from veggies to washing machine...that's really great shopping!!!

Scrasey: Hope you enjoyed your 'proper' shopping there, too!

We went two days in a row. It's like a small mall, small if compared to Gurney and QsBay. I think the shops and eateries are better than the other Tesco.
Old Jun 24th 2011, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

Scrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really nice

I must admit, I got a bit carried away and had a trolley full of stuff I didn't really need! Hubby was not very impressed when I told him how much I spent! Ha ha.

I was extremely surprised at how great the staff were. I was looking at men's shirts for hubby and this guy came along with a tape measure round his neck asking if he could help - in TESCO! Deffo not what we would get back home unless we were in M&S or equivalent.

Carpark is a different issue though, everyone was so confused on how to get out that it was no surprise they had security at every corner directing people. My taxi driver (I'm not brave enough to drive here yet) was very stressed!!

Nice to have a big supermarket though just down the road although I don't think Hubby would agree!
Old Jun 25th 2011, 6:05 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

The carpark seemed a bit chaotic on the ground level, so we went up to second level and it was practically empty up there.

We were going to have a look at the eateries on the ground level but ran out of time due to our unscheduled diversion to SenQ We needed a new washing machine anyway, heh heh.
Old Jun 25th 2011, 7:35 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Haven't been down to it for a few tears now, but sign posting to the Tesco car park nearish to the airport used to be non existent and we always got lost going to or from the car park to the main road.
Could take 30 min to find our way as always seemed to get stuck in a black hole.
Is it any better now?
Old Jun 25th 2011, 8:11 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

You mean the one halfway down the island? Yup it's a bit confusing if you don't know the roads.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 7:53 am

A bit disappointed in the meat section - seems to be a lot of cheaper cuts... scrawny bits of chicken. In fact, I couldn't actually recognize some bits of the chicken
Old Jul 7th 2011, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

My missus was over in JB yesterday and popped in to the newly opened Tesco there, not the first in JB btw.

Anyway she was really disappointed with the place as a whole and the fresh food section in particular.
She said if we lived in JB now we wouldn't be using it.

And most of the dry goods were local makes, local meaning regional.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 12:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

columbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
A bit disappointed in the meat section - seems to be a lot of cheaper cuts... scrawny bits of chicken. In fact, I couldn't actually recognize some bits of the chicken
I know a lady who works as supervisor in the stocking up dept. She said they do the stocks very late at night into the early hours of the morning for the next business day and best time to shop is in the morning
I was there a few times in the morning around 10am the chicken parts and salmon were very good and fresh.
Today I was there at 6pm the chicken parts were horrible looking. I didn't take a look at the fish section as I was there mainly for some fresh garlic and onions.
I don't buy beef at Tesco. I think they are either local or Indian cuts for curries.
Old Jul 9th 2011, 3:11 am

So I need to go a bit earlier I think. I liked the spices section - really a lot of stuff.
Old Jul 9th 2011, 9:11 am
BE Enthusiast

I think 'early' (just before 10am) on week days is the best time from my past 2 weeks experience hehehe
And easy to park close to the entrance