British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/)
-   -   Tesco Supermarket, Tg Tokong (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/tesco-supermarket-tg-tokong-717837/)

columbine May 21st 2011 5:04 am

Tesco Supermarket, Tg Tokong

I went to SenQ at Gurney yesterday and one of the supervisors told me their branch at the new Tesco will open on 20th June!! I asked him when Tesco will open then, he said 20th June.
(I tried to post this immediately over at the other informative forum as a reply, but was timed out :frown:)

bakedbean May 21st 2011 9:25 am

Re: Tesco Supermarket, Tg Tokong

:thumbsup: (for the Tesco opening and not the time out). Think we've both blown our "cover" now, heh heh.

columbine May 21st 2011 9:32 am

Originally Posted by bakedbean (Post 9378757)
:thumbsup: (for the Tesco opening and not the time out). Think we've both blown our "cover" now, heh heh.

You think we have...maybe not hehe!
Can't edit that now ;-0

Scrasey2 Jun 20th 2011 11:29 am

Anyone know if Tesco opened today?

Am planning on going tomorrow but don't want a wasted trip!

bakedbean Jun 21st 2011 2:42 am

We drove by twice yesterday and didn't seem to be any way in, at least not from the main road. Latest I heard (and may not be 100pc accurate) is that there would be a soft launch, whatever that is, on Thursday 23rd and official opening on Friday 24th. Think I'll wait until the dust has settled. Let us know if you find it open, won't you.

Scrasey2 Jun 21st 2011 2:46 am

Oh that's a shame, I have my shopping list all ready haha!

Oh well, Cold Storage it is then as I too shall wait and go next week.

Thanks for the update.

Sarah.

columbine Jun 21st 2011 3:02 am

My shopping list is getting longer and in the meantime just get what I needed most at Cold Storage.
Drove by Sunday and can see the different companies unloading their stuffs from big trucks. All look very promising :thumbsup:
I'll go check it out on 23rd June and shall report back :)

bakedbean Jun 21st 2011 3:06 am

Cheers Columbine. I saw a few boards going up: Macdonalds, KFC :confused::confused: Do we really need this junk food in Penang?? Also saw one place called Mizi's Bistro... maybe that one might be interesting.

columbine Jun 21st 2011 5:47 am

Just received message from a friend who's working in the new Tesco - 22June 'soft launch', 23 June Ribbon Cutting ceremony. They are open for business as of 22nd!!! :D
I asked: Do we (shoppers) get complimentary free food at the launching and ribbon cutting ceremony days?
Her answer: Sorry, I'm not in the grocery section :sneaky:

columbine Jun 22nd 2011 9:18 am

Did my grocery shopping at the new Tesco this morning. All the shelves were very well stocked including the fresh produce. Plenty of promotions right in Tesco itself. Not that many shoppers this morning and I think the air conditions were on full blast.
There are shops and eateries on all 3 levels. Not all the shops are open for business yet as some are still in the process of stocking up the displays etc.

bakedbean Jun 22nd 2011 9:46 am

That's great. We'll be down there soon.

Off topic again :unsure: but do you know what's being built across the road? They seem to be piledriving currently. I mean, in between Tesco and the Brezza. Another condo??

Scrasey2 Jun 22nd 2011 9:52 am

Thanks Columbine, I shall venture over there on Monday with my long shopping list!

columbine Jun 22nd 2011 11:04 am

Bakedbean: I was told they are building a 4 story shop complex. Not sure if it'd be like Prima Tanjung. Would be great for people in the vicinity!! :thumbsup:

Scrasey: hehe I really enjoyed it there this morning. Things were fresh and nicely arranged. Never shopped at the other Tesco in the morning, usually afternoons/evenings and encountering traffic jams at least on the way there or back. Now, it's like a breeze!!!:D
(I know I sound pathetic...but I'm so happy!!! :rofl: )

Scrasey2 Jun 22nd 2011 11:42 am

Ha! That's ok, I am super excited too!

I have never been for a "proper" shop at the other Tesco as Hubby drives us there to get boxes of bottled water every so often and as he hates shopping that's all we buy!

We are popping into the new one tonight for water then I'm off down there at 9am tomorrow and will most likely spend all morning there - it's not quite Sainsburys which I used to love but it's a million times better than Cold Storage!!

Sarah.

bakedbean Jun 24th 2011 7:06 am

We drove over there this morning. Went to buy some veggies in Tesco but ended up buying a washing machine in SenQ :lol:

I didn't realise how huge Tescos was, and so much produce. Well, no comparison with Cold Storage. Brilliant.