Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Teaching at Mutiara International Grammar School

Teaching at Mutiara International Grammar School

Old Jun 4th 2013, 12:02 am
ajw

Location: Melbourne - London - Bangkok - Melbourne - Kuala Lumpur - Melbourne
ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teaching at Mutiara International Grammar School

Interesting. That is one school which I never, ever hear anything about. It is completely off the expat radar. Don't expect it to have a real international school flavour - it will mostly be local families who are disillusioned with the local school system.
Old Jun 6th 2013, 10:09 pm
Just Joined

Gusta is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks ajw, I am a little worried about it to be honest!
Old Jun 8th 2013, 3:59 pm
Just Joined

KLFOREVER is an unknown quantity at this point

As someone who knows the school very well, I can provide some information and hope this does not reach people too late. The school could potentially be so good, as the kids are lovely, high achieving and so well behaved, but the treatment of teachers if just shocking. There are less than 10% expat teachers and the pay is very low compared to all other international schools in KL (other schools in the area pay at least double). Local teachers and expat staff do not mix very well and there is no transparency from the management side.
It is a good starting point, if you want to get your foot in the door of international teaching, but you need to negotiate your contract very carefully and be prepared to work for a low salary.
Old Jun 16th 2013, 2:30 pm
Just Joined

Hi KLForever,

Thank you for the reply. It did not reach me too late, thankfully! I'll send you a PM.

For anyone thinking about joining the school, read the contract very carefully! The one they sent me makes me wonder if they are out to con foreign teachers.

Good luck!
Old Jun 16th 2013, 2:38 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Gusta. The PM function only works after 3 posts so, at this point, KLforever won't receive any PMs.
Old Jun 16th 2013, 3:05 pm
Just Joined

Thanks BakedBean, you're good to have on here!
Old Jun 17th 2013, 12:43 pm
Just Joined

OK better make a post then to get the PM working. So here is post 1!
Old Jun 17th 2013, 12:46 pm
Just Joined

Number 2... so let's see if the PM will work now.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 1:00 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jun 19th 2013, 7:35 pm
Just Joined

Tofor is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down Re: Teaching at Mutiara International Grammar School

I was asked to interview for a science teaching post and attended an interview with 3 members of the board and the head of school Ms Swann.

I really didn't like the way the way the interview was conducted for a number of reasons.

The interview was dominated by one board member who I gathered had little or no understanding of pedagogy as the questions I asked in this regard were directed to Ms Swann. Very little time was spent talking about how I approach teaching, about 10 mins in the whole hour. The conversation I was having with Ms Swann was quickly moved on to other matters. I didn't get the impression that the board were interested in my teaching practice.

Ms Swan was often shut down by the main board member when she attempted to answer my questions about the school and the conversation was moved on. I found this slightly concerning and made me wonder how much input she had into the running of the school.

I spent a disproportionate amount of time explaining what else I could offer the school besides teaching. About 30 mins compared to the 10 mins I was allowed to explain my approaches to teaching. I spent the remainder of the interview explaining how I would adapt to the Malaysian climate and culture and why I had changed career to become a teacher.

All in all, if they offered the job I wouldn't have taken it. I was lucky in that the school I wanted to go to offered me a job a few days later.

I appreciate that your interview may have passed, and this doesn't tell you much about the school from an insider's point of view but I thought I'd throw this out there in case someone else was thinking about interviewing with them.

Last edited by Tofor; Jun 19th 2013 at 7:46 pm.