British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/)
-   -   Teaching in Brunei (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/teaching-brunei-664027/)

Zootalaws Apr 14th 2010 5:04 pm

Teaching in Brunei

Hi there,

My wife is looking at teaching jobs in Brunei and I wondered if anyone had any handy information?

We have been to Malaysia before and so have a reasonable idea what to expect from the weather.

I grew up in Malaysia and Singapore - although many moons ago - and have been to Borneo, Sarawak and Sabah - but in the 70s - I'm sure it has changed :) So I am comfortable among Malay and Indonesian, Indian and Chinese people.

So, what to expect?

I am in IT and haven't got a job or an offer there - how hard is it to get a job when you are in-country?

We are Kiwi's but have lived the last 10 years in the UK - not food fussy or anything like that - more likely to be wide-eyed and wanting to try anything and everything.

ex reg Apr 15th 2010 1:14 am

Re: Teaching in Brunei

Well, of course Brunei is in Brunei and not in Malaysia.
You may be aware of that but it's not how your post reads.:)

Although a small country if the job isn't in BSB then it may be difficult for you to find work elsewhere unless you can find something in the oil industry, in KB or Lumut, with Shell.
But those towns aren't in commuting distance to BSB, imo.

There is a thriving HHH there.

bakedbean Apr 15th 2010 4:48 am

I can tell you that Brunei is a "dry" country, or at least it was a few years ago when my other half did a job there i.e. you cannot get a beer :( He wasn't that impressed with the country but, then again, he does enjoy a beer, so that may have had something to do with it.

As ex-reg pointed out, of course Brunei is a separate country and not part of Malaysia. Historically, it almost joined Malaysia but did not.

OzSheila Apr 15th 2010 6:11 am

Originally Posted by Zootalaws (Post 8496003)
I grew up in Malaysia and Singapore - although many moons ago - and have been to Borneo, Sarawak and Sabah - but in the 70s - I'm sure it has changed :) So I am comfortable among Malay and Indonesian, Indian and Chinese people.

As did my OH. Kuching by any chance?

Zootalaws Apr 15th 2010 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by ex reg (Post 8497045)
Well, of course Brunei is in Brunei and not in Malaysia.
You may be aware of that but it's not how your post reads.:)

Yeah, I'm pretty good with geography... the point referring to Malaysia was about the weather.

HHH? I am not built for running :)

Zootalaws Apr 15th 2010 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by OzSheila (Post 8497528)
As did my OH. Kuching by any chance?

Tengah, Changi, KL, Butterworth

Zootalaws Apr 15th 2010 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by bakedbean (Post 8497398)
I can tell you that Brunei is a "dry" country

Not an issue, I can take or leave the drink...

wowoweee Apr 28th 2010 8:06 am

Originally Posted by Zootalaws (Post 8496003)
Hi there,

My wife is looking at teaching jobs in Brunei and I wondered if anyone had any handy information?

We have been to Malaysia before and so have a reasonable idea what to expect from the weather.

So, what to expect?

I am in IT and haven't got a job or an offer there - how hard is it to get a job when you are in-country?

We are Kiwi's but have lived the last 10 years in the UK - not food fussy or anything like that - more likely to be wide-eyed and wanting to try anything and everything.

umm no offense but maybe you should take a trip to brunei first before deciding to move there for good.

the bruneian economy is something like 90% oil, so there are not many jobs there to be honest.