Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Suspension Of Conversion of Foreign Driving Licence to Malaysia Driving Licence

Suspension Of Conversion of Foreign Driving Licence to Malaysia Driving Licence

Old Sep 21st 2020, 10:01 am
  #121  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2015
Location: Penang
Posts: 908
SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Suspension Of Conversion of Foreign Driving Licence to Malaysia Driving Lice

Originally Posted by IanBlakeley View Post
Mrs. B and I will trot over to the JPJ in Butterworth next week and see if we can start the process, pretty sure as a Malaysian with a foreign licence she can, LTSVP I am unsure and will update.
I am not sure whether you actually need to travel to Butterworth for this. The government opened a "one stop shopping" lane of counters for multiple departments in Komtar. JPJ is one of the agencies which has a counter there.
SushiFan is offline  
Old Sep 21st 2020, 10:34 am
  #122  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Nov 2015
Location: Penang
Posts: 127
IanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really nice
Default Re: Suspension Of Conversion of Foreign Driving Licence to Malaysia Driving Lice

Ah thanks, I'd seen other messages saying had to go to JPJ in Butterworth because could not do in Penang. We're away for a couple of days so will be later on this week or early next.
IanBlakeley is offline  
Old Oct 3rd 2020, 5:24 am
  #123  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Nov 2015
Location: Penang
Posts: 127
IanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really nice
Default Re: Suspension Of Conversion of Foreign Driving Licence to Malaysia Driving Lice

Originally Posted by IanBlakeley View Post
Ah thanks, I'd seen other messages saying had to go to JPJ in Butterworth because could not do in Penang. We're away for a couple of days so will be later on this week or early next.
In the end ended up in Butterworth as we had to collect some documents from family ref another matter and I wanted to check out the Garmin agent. Mrs B's application in progress as a returning citizen. LTSVP cannot currently, officer said wait maybe it will change again.
IanBlakeley is offline  
Old Sep 10th 2021, 5:26 am
  #124  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Sep 2021
Posts: 2
britishexpatinmuddywaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Suspension Of Conversion of Foreign Driving Licence to Malaysia Driving Lice

Despite the title of this thread being outdated it's still a thread that lists highly on Google search when trying to search around as to what to do. I'm an Employment Pass holder and am currently trying to 'convert' my UK Driving License to a Malaysian license, I've learnt a lot from this thread but also have some experiences to share.

Firstly, this week the JPJ offices opened for walk-in appointments for the first time in a long time, HOWEVER, the conversion of a foreign license license still requires an appointment. At the time of writing, walk straight to Pintu 2 and ask to make a booking for the conversion; there is a trestle table just on the inside of the door with a book for appointments. You do NOT need to stand in line for 1 hour just to make this booking, I wasted an hour under the sun to find this out...my booking for application is next week.

Having made the booking I was given a packet of forms with the cover page including all the documents required to support this application. I cannot find the cover page on the JPJ website but it is available here:
www.my.emb-japan.go.jp/files/100131627.pdf

In addition to this list, you need a photo on a white background.

Having secured my booking I am awaiting my application but I thought it was worth sharing that the DVLA can fax the Confirmation of Driving License Details certificate so you needn't wait weeks for it to arrive or re-request it several times as reported earlier in the thread (although I'm yet to apply so not 100% sure they will accept the faxed 'copy').
britishexpatinmuddywaters is offline  
Old Sep 10th 2021, 9:49 am
  #125  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Sep 2018
Posts: 11
Buffie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Suspension Of Conversion of Foreign Driving Licence to Malaysia Driving Lice

Originally Posted by britishexpatinmuddywaters View Post
Despite the title of this thread being outdated it's still a thread that lists highly on Google search when trying to search around as to what to do. I'm an Employment Pass holder and am currently trying to 'convert' my UK Driving License to a Malaysian license, I've learnt a lot from this thread but also have some experiences to share.

Firstly, this week the JPJ offices opened for walk-in appointments for the first time in a long time, HOWEVER, the conversion of a foreign license license still requires an appointment. At the time of writing, walk straight to Pintu 2 and ask to make a booking for the conversion; there is a trestle table just on the inside of the door with a book for appointments. You do NOT need to stand in line for 1 hour just to make this booking, I wasted an hour under the sun to find this out...my booking for application is next week.

Having made the booking I was given a packet of forms with the cover page including all the documents required to support this application. I cannot find the cover page on the JPJ website but it is available here:
www.my.emb-japan.go.jp/files/100131627.pdf

In addition to this list, you need a photo on a white background.

Having secured my booking I am awaiting my application but I thought it was worth sharing that the DVLA can fax the Confirmation of Driving License Details certificate so you needn't wait weeks for it to arrive or re-request it several times as reported earlier in the thread (although I'm yet to apply so not 100% sure they will accept the faxed 'copy').
Thanks for sharing. Not sure if the fax copy will be accepted as when I visited the JPJ last year to enquire about this they informed me that I needed to provide the original Certificate which has been certified by your embassy in Malaysia or by the malaysian embassy in your country.
Hopefully this has changed and your successful with the fax copy.
Appreciate it if you could let us know how your appointment went and what docs needed, procedure etc.
Cheers
B
Buffie is offline  
Old Sep 11th 2021, 2:42 am
  #126  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Nov 2015
Location: Penang
Posts: 127
IanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really nice
Default Re: Suspension Of Conversion of Foreign Driving Licence to Malaysia Driving Lice

Originally Posted by Buffie View Post
Thanks for sharing. Not sure if the fax copy will be accepted as when I visited the JPJ last year to enquire about this they informed me that I needed to provide the original Certificate
Pretty much what we were told with my abortive try albeit Mrs B was successful. We'd waited for the hard copies, although JPJ did say they would take the old counterpart even though these have not been valid since I think 2015.
IanBlakeley is offline  
Old Sep 15th 2021, 7:52 am
  #127  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Sep 2021
Posts: 2
britishexpatinmuddywaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Suspension Of Conversion of Foreign Driving Licence to Malaysia Driving Lice

Originally Posted by britishexpatinmuddywaters View Post
You do NOT need to stand in line for 1 hour just to make this booking, I wasted an hour under the sun to find this out...my booking for application is next week.

Having made the booking I was given a packet of forms with the cover page including all the documents required to support this application. I cannot find the cover page on the JPJ website but it is available here:
www.my.emb-japan.go.jp/files/100131627.pdf

In addition to this list, you need a photo on a white background.

Having secured my booking I am awaiting my application but I thought it was worth sharing that the DVLA can fax the Confirmation of Driving License Details certificate so you needn't wait weeks for it to arrive or re-request it several times as reported earlier in the thread (although I'm yet to apply so not 100% sure they will accept the faxed 'copy').
Today was the day of my previously booked Foreign Driving License Conversion slot.

I arrived at JPJ-KL at 8:30 which I believe is when the doors opened; there was already a long queue and I was given ticket number 80. It took 2hours15 to reach the front door, very tiring on the legs!

At the 'check-in' counter they checked my name off the booking list - there appeared to be about 10 names per day. This triage type person leafed through my documents and gave me a ticket.

All my documents were accepted, including the faxed copy of the DVLA certificate. I was at the counter for 40 minutes in total and the attendant (if that is the right word) was constantly clarifying things with various colleagues the whole time - I was half expecting to be turfed out of there at any moment.

I can now see my application in the JPJ.com.my portal as 'IN PROGRESS' with vehicle category of car and 250cc bike. They have my original documents (which I also saw got scanned) so they could still reject the application on the grounds of the D797 not being original but they didn't mention this at all although I was asked about a counterpart and simply said it's a new license and none was ever issued and that was that.

Despite previously been told I need a photo, I left with it today. I am not sure if they scanned it for digital printing later, or they need it when (if!) I'm collecting the license in 30(+) days time.

britishexpatinmuddywaters is offline  
Old Sep 15th 2021, 8:12 am
  #128  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 248
Epicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Suspension Of Conversion of Foreign Driving Licence to Malaysia Driving Lice

Originally Posted by britishexpatinmuddywaters View Post
I can now see my application in the JPJ.com.my portal as 'IN PROGRESS' with vehicle category of car and 250cc bike. They have my original documents (which I also saw got scanned) so they could still reject the application on the grounds of the D797 not being original but they didn't mention this at all although I was asked about a counterpart and simply said it's a new license and none was ever issued and that was that.

Despite previously been told I need a photo, I left with it today. I am not sure if they scanned it for digital printing later, or they need it when (if!) I'm collecting the license in 30(+) days time.
Yes they scan the passport style photo and give it back. Don't expect the picture on your license to have the same aspect ratio as the original!

Seems they're considering giving you a bike license as well. I was refused one despite having all categories of bike license from the UK. I even spoke to a supervisor and was told flatly "We don't exchange motorbike licenses for foreigners."

Good luck!
Epicurious is offline  
Old Sep 16th 2021, 12:00 pm
  #129  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 613
Gunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Suspension Of Conversion of Foreign Driving Licence to Malaysia Driving Lice

Epicurious, did you get to keep your original license when you got the Malaysian one?
Gunnar45 is offline  
Old Sep 16th 2021, 12:12 pm
  #130  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 248
Epicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Suspension Of Conversion of Foreign Driving Licence to Malaysia Driving Lice

Originally Posted by Gunnar45 View Post
Epicurious, did you get to keep your original license when you got the Malaysian one?
Yes, it's not really an exchange. They did try to keep the paper counterpart which I still had, but I told them it's a part of the license and they copied it and gave it back.
Epicurious is offline  
Old Sep 17th 2021, 1:59 am
  #131  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 613
Gunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Suspension Of Conversion of Foreign Driving Licence to Malaysia Driving Lice

Originally Posted by Epicurious View Post
Yes, it's not really an exchange. They did try to keep the paper counterpart which I still had, but I told them it's a part of the license and they copied it and gave it back.
Thank you for the information!
Gunnar45 is offline  
Old Sep 23rd 2021, 2:46 pm
  #132  
Just Joined
 
Joined: May 2020
Posts: 20
Hedge is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Suspension Of Conversion of Foreign Driving Licence to Malaysia Driving Lice

What is the expiry date of a newly minted licence for a foreigner? I need to apply for one, my UK licence expires next year, hoping that won't be an issue.
Hedge is offline  
Old Sep 24th 2021, 1:09 am
  #133  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Nov 2015
Location: Penang
Posts: 127
IanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really nice
Default Re: Suspension Of Conversion of Foreign Driving Licence to Malaysia Driving Lice

Originally Posted by Hedge View Post
What is the expiry date of a newly minted licence for a foreigner? I need to apply for one, my UK licence expires next year, hoping that won't be an issue.
My wife was issued a P licence which lasts 2 years. After that there is a window I think another year but don't quote me where you exchange the P for a full. If you fail to do so in that time it all reverts back and you'd have to start again.
IanBlakeley is offline  
Old Sep 25th 2021, 11:27 am
  #134  
Just Joined
 
Joined: May 2020
Posts: 20
Hedge is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Suspension Of Conversion of Foreign Driving Licence to Malaysia Driving Lice

Thanks Ian,

I'm surprised about the P licence, but no problem, just staying legal is the main thing. I've tried UK DVLC twice now to request a fax of my Certificate of Entitlement. Used 2 separate physical fax numbers. The fax never arrived. I'll give it another shot next week. What fun.
Hedge is offline  
Old Sep 26th 2021, 2:38 am
  #135  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Nov 2015
Location: Penang
Posts: 127
IanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really nice
Default Re: Suspension Of Conversion of Foreign Driving Licence to Malaysia Driving Lice

Originally Posted by IanBlakeley View Post
My wife was issued a P licence which lasts 2 years. After that there is a window I think another year but don't quote me where you exchange the P for a full. If you fail to do so in that time it all reverts back and you'd have to start again.
We asked DVLA for a written letter, it only took around 3 weeks. When we were at the JPG the officer saw my old supplementary sheet the UK dropped in I think 2015 and said you could have used that instead of the letter, so I said it is out of date no longer used but she was adamant that would not be a problem.
IanBlakeley is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.