Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Suspension Of Conversion of Foreign Driving Licence to Malaysia Driving Licence

Suspension Of Conversion of Foreign Driving Licence to Malaysia Driving Licence

Old Oct 9th 2018, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

IanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really nice
Default Re: Suspension Of Conversion of Foreign Driving Licence to Malaysia Driving Lice

I am going to continue to drive on my UK licence based on the JPJ page Recognition Of Driving Licenses Of Foreign Countries - Driver - JPJ Portal - Jabatan Pengangkutan Jalan and List of Countries signed Convention on Road Traffic done at Geneva 1949 I am still a UK resident with an address for tax and my drivers licence purposes, if that changes then I'll have to consider taking a local test.
Old Oct 9th 2018, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

Macsta is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Suspension Of Conversion of Foreign Driving Licence to Malaysia Driving Lice

Originally Posted by SushiFan
"License owners are advised to bring along a copy of Driving License Confirmation letter from Embassy of the country of origin or translation letter from the Embassy (if the relevant driving license uses language other than English) while driving in Malaysia."
Ian, another issue is regulations state you need a letter from home country Embassy confirming licence validity but British High Commission (link) will not issue such a letter.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-malaysia

I have had this BS before when I needed British Embassy assistance (not in MY) and the response left a lot to be desired so I hold little hope of being able to obtain such a letter.

Maybe the loophole is JPJ website states "advised" not "must".
Old Oct 9th 2018, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

IanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really nice

Originally Posted by Macsta
Ian, another issue is regulations state you need a letter from home country Embassy confirming licence validity but British High Commission (link) will not issue such a letter.
If the licence isn't in English, certainly my UK licence is the English version of the EU licence so don't think a translation is needed.
Old Oct 9th 2018, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by IanBlakeley
If the licence isn't in English, certainly my UK licence is the English version of the EU licence so don't think a translation is needed.
Ian, its required irrespective of the language:

"License owners are advised to bring along a copy of Driving License Confirmation letter from Embassy of the country of origin or translation letter from the Embassy (if the relevant driving license uses language other than English) while driving in Malaysia"

The translation letter is the same as the required letter if your licence is not originally in English.
Old Oct 9th 2018, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

Ian, its required irrespective of the language:

"License owners are advised to bring along a copy of Driving License Confirmation letter from Embassy of the country of origin or translation letter from the Embassy (if the relevant driving license uses language other than English) while driving in Malaysia"

The translation letter is the same as the required letter if your licence is not originally in English.
That's not how I read it, obviously, I have been to the JPJ a while back about converting, a moot point now and all they wanted was the counterpart, which of course no longer exists. I have had to take my license to the police after someone ran into my car and they didn't want to see any document other than the licence, ditto for my BiL when he had an accident (US citizen) in my FiL's car or my wife Malaysian on her UK licence when stopped for speeding on the highway. Since the embassy won't issue such documents there's going to be an impasse if they're needed.
Old Oct 9th 2018, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

Epicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond repute

Seems our only hope is that Malaysia is now breaking the terms of some treaty that they signed allowing reciprocal recognition of driving licences. Would a Malaysian living in the UK be able to exchange their licence for a UK one? Or be able to continue driving in the UK on their Malaysian licence as long as it is valid? A bit of tit-for-tat might get the Malaysian Govt to see sense.
Old Oct 10th 2018, 12:36 am
Forum Regular

The UK is somewhat more pernickety about license exchange as I recall. From memory you can drive a year on a non EU licence then it's test or for a limited number of countries exchange, Malaysia isn't on the list that can exchange. What the US servicemen used to do if they could was swap to a german licence from US and then swap that to UK.
Old Oct 10th 2018, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

Wow, it seems the goverment cancelled the final incentive for a foreigner living in Malaysia to buy a car. I'm not going back to driving school and getting a learners / probationary drivers permit. The GRAB car service is more than sufficient for me. What does everyone else think?
Yes it does seem a backward step, I would have thought MM2H visa holders would be allowed to convert their licences (within existing regulations) as it seems such an innocuous benefit.

It seems to me I will have no choice but to take the local test.
Old Oct 12th 2018, 12:59 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

I am going to continue to drive on my UK licence based on the JPJ page Recognition Of Driving Licenses Of Foreign Countries - Driver - JPJ Portal - Jabatan Pengangkutan Jalan and List of Countries signed Convention on Road Traffic done at Geneva 1949 I am still a UK resident with an address for tax and my drivers licence purposes, if that changes then I'll have to consider taking a local test.
me too. Our cars insurances are renewed annually, and require copies of our UK driving licenses.
Old Oct 12th 2018, 1:54 am
Forum Regular

Epicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond repute

I just found a document produced in 2012 which records all of the driving licence requirements for most countries:
https://www.atlantic.caa.ca/files/tr...equirement.pdf

I attach a screenshot of the Malaysia section.

As you can see, the regulations vary between the areas of Malaysia.
Old Oct 12th 2018, 3:00 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Epicurious
I just found a document produced in 2012 which records all of the driving licence requirements for most countries:
https://www.atlantic.caa.ca/files/tr...equirement.pdf

I attach a screenshot of the Malaysia section.

As you can see, the regulations vary between the areas of Malaysia.
The implication being that an EU licence is fine for non commercial use. I do wonder what the status of our UK licences maybe come March next year, hopefully by then there will be some clarification.
Old Oct 12th 2018, 6:59 am
Forum Regular

simon2017 is an unknown quantity at this point

The implication being that an EU licence is fine for non commercial use. I do wonder what the status of our UK licences maybe come March next year, hopefully by then there will be some clarification.
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, and happy to be corrected if in error. Australia is a signatory to the the 1949 convention so I was under the impression that I could drive in Malaysia with my Australian drivers license and not having to have an IDP. This is the same for UK drivers. Over the last few days I have received 2 notifications from official Australian government entities that I now MUST HAVE AN IDP as well as Australian drivers license. Quotes and links to official Australian websites attached. Your own countries may be more up to date with the current state of affairs than the specific official Malaysia websites but it would appear that to drive in Malaysia now you need an IDP and own country license, or a local Malaysian license..

https://smartraveller.gov.au/Countri.../malaysia.aspx
To drive in Malaysia, you need a valid International Driving Permit (IDP) and a valid Australian driver’s licence

https://malaysia.embassy.gov.au/klpr/cons%5fdr.htmlThe Australian High Commission received official notification on 2 October 2018 from the Malaysian Ministry of Foreign Affairs advising of new regulations for driving licence conversion by the Road Transport Department of Malaysia.The driving licence conversion process for international driver’s license has been postponed effective from 24 September 2018 until further notice. Australians who wish to drive in Malaysia must use an international driving permit (IDP) together with a valid Australian driver licence.Those who do not hold both an international driving permit and a valid Australian driver licence will need to undergo the normal process of obtaining a Malaysian driver licence at the Malaysian driving authority or institutes.
Old Oct 12th 2018, 9:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Gunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond repute

Australia, UK and Malaysia are still signatories to the 1949 convention.
Malaysia has to the best of my knowledge not changed Section 28 of the law,
(See post #11 regarding Malaysian law and JPJ interpretation of it)
So I believe it is still OK to drive here with my home country (signatory of 1949 convention) license accompanied by an official translation from my embassy.

The comments from the AU embassy (I actually got similar ones from my embassy) are referring to the MM2H website announcement.
But do such announcements override prevailing conventions and laws?

OriginalSunshine, post #24,
Does your insurance company ask to see your drivers license?
I can't remember ever having to show that to mine.
Old Oct 12th 2018, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by simon2017
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, and happy to be corrected if in error. Australia is a signatory to the the 1949 convention so I was under the impression that I could drive in Malaysia with my Australian drivers license and not having to have an IDP. This is the same for UK drivers. Over the last few days I have received 2 notifications from official Australian government entities that I now MUST HAVE AN IDP as well as Australian drivers license. Quotes and links to official Australian websites attached. Your own countries may be more up to date with the current state of affairs than the specific official Malaysia websites but it would appear that to drive in Malaysia now you need an IDP and own country license, or a local Malaysian license.
Simon, are the rules the same for Australian citizens (as it is for the UK) that you have to be an Australian resident to obtain a IDP and can you obtain the IDP online or (again as in the UK) do you have to be physical present in Australia to receive it?

Old Oct 13th 2018, 12:13 am
Forum Regular

simon2017 is an unknown quantity at this point

Simon, are the rules the same for Australian citizens (as it is for the UK) that you have to be an Australian resident to obtain a IDP and can you obtain the IDP online or (again as in the UK) do you have to be physical present in Australia to receive it?

If you have an Australian drivers license you can apply online for an IDP and have it mailed to an overseas address so there is no need to return to Australia to get an IDP as long as your current Australian drivers license does not expire during the period of the IDP.
https://www.aaa.asn.au/international...overseas/#faqs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.