British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/)
-   -   Suspension Of Conversion of Foreign Driving Licence to Malaysia Driving Licence (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/suspension-conversion-foreign-driving-licence-malaysia-driving-licence-917979/)

InVinoVeritas Nov 7th 2018 12:39 am

Re: Suspension Of Conversion of Foreign Driving Licence to Malaysia Driving Lice

Originally Posted by simon2017 (Post 12588806)
I saw this link in another blog for a driving school at Tanjung Bungah which covers costs, process, timeframes etc. No personal experience myself so will be interested at how you get on. The blog is from 2014 so may be out of date but the driving school is still there.

Getting a driving licence in Penang - Tropical Expat

I think the information in the blog is still accurate. I know someone who recently got their licence through Cathay and the cost was RM1,650 but the provisional licence now costs RM400.

Of course there are ways to avoid a lot of this hassle, a question of who you know :zzz:

Also, I am told the toilets at the driving centre are pretty nasty, so be prepared.

Macsta Nov 7th 2018 5:30 am

Re: Suspension Of Conversion of Foreign Driving Licence to Malaysia Driving Lice

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas (Post 12589340)
Of course there are ways to avoid a lot of this hassle, a question of who you know :zzz:

Many thanks for the update IVV.

Actually I think being pulled over and having my UK driving licence questioned are slim however my concern is should I be involved in a traffic accident my insurance maybe invalid or at least a potential loophole for the insurance company not to pay out.

Ptnmrk Nov 14th 2018 5:11 am

I am British and Australian. I arrived in Malaysia on a full time work permit last November. I tried on several occasions to get a local licence because that is what I thought I was supposed to do. Every time I went to JPJ i got a different answer as to what I needed to do to get a Malaysian licence. The last time I went I was told that I needed a letter from my home country Consulate certifying that I had a valid licence ( in this case we are talking about an Australian License). This is a challenge I can tell you! I am very happy that I do not need to bother getting a local license and that all I need in addition to my Australian licence is a valid International Licence as well. I can renew this every year when I visit my family in Australia ( I can see that this would be painful if you do not go home every year). I don't think the Expat community should worry about this too much as the Malaysian authorities do not seem to be too worried about it. If they were worried about it they would make the rules clear and transparent. If they make it too hard then the answer is Grab!!

RedApe Nov 18th 2018 7:13 am

Originally Posted by meched55 (Post 12573210)
Seems like more and more the MM2H program isn't so great after all. More requirements, more red tape, loss of tax benefits like buying a new car etc.
Now we need an international permit along with a Malaysian drivers license. Why would one need both? Isn't the Malaysian drivers license good enough?
Our international permit from the USA is only good for one year.

My reading of this is that they are not saying that Malaysian Drivers Licenses already issued are invalid. They are saying that they are no longer ISSUING them through CONVERSION. Essentially one will be expected to use your home-based DL with an International DL certificate. If you want a Malaysian DL (and do not already have one) you need to obtain one through the driving school/exam procedure.

meched55 Nov 18th 2018 11:56 am

Ok so what are the requirements for a foreigner to get a Malaysian drivers licence? A passport and written exam along with a driving test? Does one need the mm2h visa too?

RedApe Nov 18th 2018 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by meched55 (Post 12595316)
Ok so what are the requirements for a foreigner to get a Malaysian drivers licence? A passport and written exam along with a driving test? Does one need the mm2h visa too?

Not according to this (posted above). A tourist visa is sufficient.

Getting a driving licence in Penang - Tropical Expat

shessojag Nov 20th 2018 3:40 am

BEEN THERE DONE THAT. I was in Berjaya driving school in Johor last year and I've got a P licence now. The most stupid part of this rule is the 6 hours listening to Malay instructors talked in Bahasa. I don't speak Bahasa and I don't understand Bahasa and I had to do writing for eye test ( forming dots into shape of boat, numbers, square, rectangle and triangle those types) in that 6 hours session. For me I just guessed and asked a 17 years old student who sat next to me what Malay instructors wanted me to do.

After that 6 hours about a week or so you will have to book the place do the eye test online with those dots into shapes and numbers and you must pass 8 out of 8 first, then go for full exam 50 marks and you must pass 42 out of 50. It's in English this time. If you did not pass an eye test online...........like me. You then have to submit that fail paper with driving school and wait for school to issue a letter to send you to hospital for eye check and it must be in OPD in Government hospital, you will pass this if you are not blind. Then wait for school to book you for an online test again and you have to do an online eye test again before you can go for a full 50 marks exam. I actually asked the lady in that place I took online test if I fail eye test again like I did the last time 7 out of 8 what would happen? She said and I quoted " You must repeat the process again and go to hospital again " But if you pass and online eye test you can then continue the 50 marks exam. If you fail this part like I did 41/50 you can just wait about 30 minutes for system to accept new exam result from the same person and pay around 30 RM to do the exam. If you fail again ,you can just repeat it as long as you have enough cash with you and if you pass you then wait another week for a 15 and a half hours driving session. The driving session is around school compound and on the road about 3 kms maximum. At the end of the 15 ish class you then have to drive like when you learnt in those 15 and a half hours with the officer from driving school. He will be the one who allow you to go for the real driving test with JPJ officers. If you already knew how to drive and knew parts of car it is easy. You have to drive up the hill, do the A B or C parking it depends on the available spot in front of you then do a 3 points turn, braking at the ramp and roundabout. Then driving with JPJ officer in the car on the road. It is like 10 minutes driving included waiting for traffic lights. Not joking about 10 minutes on the road it could be less than 10 minutes if the traffic lights were green all the way. Then you pass and wait for a week for a P licence. Pick it up by yourself in driving school.

I have to do all this because I don't have a licence from my home country. Started from zero knowledge. But if you already have a driving licence or even a transcript that issued and certified by DVLA UK and still have to do all this, it is ridiculous and pure stupid. If you work and always travel on business trips, you don't have time for this s**t. I can do all this because I do not work. I'm a housewife and I have time.

Macsta Nov 21st 2018 6:58 am

Originally Posted by shessojag (Post 12596092)
BEEN THERE DONE THAT.

Many thanks for the information it is very useful but just highlights the futility of the change for those who have passed a test in a country recognised by the international legislation/treaty that Malaysia is a co signator.

PoolieAbroad Dec 14th 2018 8:42 am

Originally Posted by RedApe (Post 12595155)
My reading of this is that they are not saying that Malaysian Drivers Licenses already issued are invalid. They are saying that they are no longer ISSUING them through CONVERSION. Essentially one will be expected to use your home-based DL with an International DL certificate. If you want a Malaysian DL (and do not already have one) you need to obtain one through the driving school/exam procedure.

Short Update
I just renewed my license today so renewals seem to be no problem.
All done in 15 mins. Valid until passport expires or 5 years maximum.
Take old one, your passport and a passport photo with white background ( they did mine in the office mind you)
60 RM a year, No forms to fill in.............

inggris Dec 24th 2018 6:55 am

Originally Posted by Ptnmrk (Post 12593127)
I am British and Australian. I arrived in Malaysia on a full time work permit last November. I tried on several occasions to get a local licence because that is what I thought I was supposed to do. Every time I went to JPJ i got a different answer as to what I needed to do to get a Malaysian licence. The last time I went I was told that I needed a letter from my home country Consulate certifying that I had a valid licence ( in this case we are talking about an Australian License). This is a challenge I can tell you! I am very happy that I do not need to bother getting a local license and that all I need in addition to my Australian licence is a valid International Licence as well. I can renew this every year when I visit my family in Australia ( I can see that this would be painful if you do not go home every year). I don't think the Expat community should worry about this too much as the Malaysian authorities do not seem to be too worried about it. If they were worried about it they would make the rules clear and transparent. If they make it too hard then the answer is Grab!!

In the UK, I think there is a document called "certificate of entitlement" issued by the DVLA but I am not sure whether it is still available as I am currently unable to find in its official website.

meched55 Dec 24th 2018 7:22 am

I understand getting a US consulate to say you have a valid drivers license is a joke. First of all it's state issued. Obviously the license itself is the evidence. It's good in all 50 states in the US.
LOL I believe AU works the same way. Incredible they come up with lame excuse. If we did relocate we won't have any reason to go back to the US to get an international drivers license once a year. Funny thing about that is it's really a joke they take your State license and write some stuff in a little white book says international drivers license. Pay the fee and walk out the door. Completely stupid in my opinion. That's what some of these countries want.

When I was there in April we got stopped at check points on Langkawi there were 3 of us on a scooter. They asked for my drivers license we all had helmets on, I showed them the Arizona drivers license no questions asked. I didn't have an international permit. No Plan on driving other than on that island.

IanBlakeley Dec 24th 2018 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by inggris (Post 12612446)
In the UK, I think there is a document called "certificate of entitlement" issued by the DVLA but I am not sure whether it is still available as I am currently unable to find in its official website.

As far as I know there is no such beast. When I went to the JPJ around a year ago they wanted the counterpart to the UK licence, that's been dispensed with since 2015 it no longer exists or is issued. I gave up at that point, should have pursued it but thought I'd try again once I had a longer visa, now of course cannot exchange.

meched55 Dec 25th 2018 6:35 am

I have started the MM2H process. Where I would like to live suburbs of KL. A car is needed for sure. The drivers license will have to be obtained some how? Sounds like a real challenge. I'll be working on paper work for that. PER INGGRIS was told that I needed a letter from my home country Consulate certifying that I had a valid licence.
I'll see what I can find here in the US about it.

RedApe Dec 25th 2018 5:24 pm

I think a short-term solution would be to obtain an International Drivers Permit which would be legitimate with your US License. In California AAA issues the IDP "passport". It's US$20. https://www.aaa.com/vacation/idpf.html

​​​​​​​ Easiest in the US but they can mail you the permit abroad. https://www.aaa.com/vacation/idpf.html#four

meched55 Dec 26th 2018 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by RedApe (Post 12612824)
I think a short-term solution would be to obtain an International Drivers Permit which would be legitimate with your US License. In California AAA issues the IDP "passport". It's US$20. https://www.aaa.com/vacation/idpf.html

Easiest in the US but they can mail you the permit abroad. https://www.aaa.com/vacation/idpf.html#four

I can get the IDP here in Phoenix, it's after we relocate that's when I would need the MAILED permit.
Thanks

Buffie Jan 6th 2019 12:59 am

FYI, check out www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2018/09/24/jpj-to-tighten-the-issuing-of-driving-licenses-in-light-of-lesen-terbang-menace/
(unable to paste url)

Reason why conversion was suspended.
Fingers crossed its just a suspension and will be lifted .

eCdD Jan 6th 2019 12:38 pm

Not suprised to read this. I have heard from Mainland Chinese before that their MM2H agents have settled the driving licence "problem". With no foreign driving licence, no letter from embassy and no test ...

montakute Jan 8th 2019 5:14 am

If they do lift the suspension of foreign DL conversion and start converting again, the below may help.

PER INGGRIS was told that I needed a letter from my home country Consulate certifying that I had a valid licence.
Historically, a document that satisfies this requirement can be from the Drivers License Issuing Authority - i.e., the state/province department/ministry that issued your drivers license. See if your state transport agency provides an official letter (even better if certified or stamped - looks official) validating your drivers license, and/or perhaps you can get a drivers history transcript report. Try to get as much info as possible on the document which matches the info on your license: name, date of birth, license number, class of drivers license (and meaning), date received, expiration date. A document from the "License Issuing Authority" to validate a foreign DL was stated on the JPJ website in the requirements section on foreign DL conversion, non-automatic, in 2017, and such a document was accepted by the JPJ in 2017 when we converted our foreign Drivers Licenses.

Flyguy Jan 13th 2019 8:37 am

My Malaysian Driving Licence was issued in 2013 on an exchange basis from my NI licence.
I recently realised it had expired. On reading this thread I was very worried I'd be refused a renewal. But it all went through quickly and without a hitch at the PJ DL Centre, and they didn't even fine me for the late renewal. So if you're already a swopped licence holder you should be ok.

SushiFan Jan 14th 2019 2:14 am

Originally Posted by Flyguy (Post 12620710)
My Malaysian Driving Licence was issued in 2013 on an exchange basis from my NI licence.
I recently realised it had expired. On reading this thread I was very worried I'd be refused a renewal. But it all went through quickly and without a hitch at the PJ DL Centre, and they didn't even fine me for the late renewal. So if you're already a swopped licence holder you should be ok.

Meanwhile I have heard multiple stories of people (non-Malaysian) who were able to renew their Malaysian driving license. None of them had any issue. So, once you have it you likely won't have any issue. But if you don't have it yet, it might be more cumbersome to get it.

eCdD Jan 14th 2019 3:15 am

I am not sure if it is possible to see from the licence that it is a converted licence. And when I made the licence some years ago with the famous embassy letter I was told that no more documents are needed for renewal then later after 5 years, just the old licence.

SushiFan Jan 14th 2019 7:31 am

Originally Posted by eCdD (Post 12621067)
I am not sure if it is possible to see from the licence that it is a converted licence. And when I made the licence some years ago with the famous embassy letter I was told that no more documents are needed for renewal then later after 5 years, just the old licence.

This confirms the stories I heard: you only have to show your old ("soon to expire") Malaysian driver's license and JPJ will provide you with a new one.

Willy789 Mar 8th 2019 6:47 am

I'm confused. UK licence, on an EP and was wondering if anyone had tried to hire a car when on an EP. no idp. Im sure car hire companies will be up on regulations in order not to break law

eCdD Mar 8th 2019 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by Willy789 (Post 12649885)
I'm confused. UK licence, on an EP and was wondering if anyone had tried to hire a car when on an EP. no idp. Im sure car hire companies will be up on regulations in order not to break law

A friend of mine just one week before rented a car with his EU driving licence. And added his Chinese wife as second driver just with her passport.

Macsta Sep 4th 2019 1:03 pm

Seems like some positive news :thumbsup: :fingerscrossed:

https://www.nst.com.my/news/nation/2019/09/518642/special-consideration-malaysians-convert-foreign-driving-licences-local

meched55 Sep 4th 2019 3:51 pm

WOW finally they are moving in the right direction. WOOHOO
Let's hope they follow through supposed to start in November. Miracles never cease. Now if they would bring back the no tax on car purchases
for MM2H that would be a big incentive too.

Paisa Dec 1st 2019 1:49 am

I was wondering if anyone has yet converted a foreign licence under the new arrangements. I am on MM2H and wish to do this with my UK licence and assume I can simply visit the JPJ on Penang Island for the purpose. Any advice (documents/fees required etc.) would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Scuba Tyke Dec 17th 2019 2:12 am

Originally Posted by Paisa (Post 12772102)
I was wondering if anyone has yet converted a foreign licence under the new arrangements. I am on MM2H and wish to do this with my UK licence and assume I can simply visit the JPJ on Penang Island for the purpose. Any advice (documents/fees required etc.) would be appreciated.
Thanks.

I'm currently preparing the forms for this, just waiting for my 'Certification Letter' from DVLA in UK. I'll update once I've submitted.

inggris Dec 17th 2019 4:01 am

Originally Posted by Scuba Tyke (Post 12779657)
I'm currently preparing the forms for this, just waiting for my 'Certification Letter' from DVLA in UK. I'll update once I've submitted.

Just a matter of interest: Is a 'Certification Letter' a "Certificate of Driving Entitlement"? May I know how it can be ordered from DVLA?

Macsta Dec 17th 2019 5:02 am

Originally Posted by Scuba Tyke (Post 12779657)

Thanks for the information Scuba, I have not heard of a "certification letter" from DVLA, can you please give more information regarding and obtaining it, many thanks.

Scuba Tyke Dec 17th 2019 9:37 am

Call DVLA on +443007906801 & ask for a letter 'certifying' your existing UK licence & they will provide one. Explain that it's part of the process for the Malaysian authorities to allow you to drive here. Have the obvious details to hand, including your driving licence number. I had mine sent to a UK address, not sure if they will post overseas. The lady I spoke to was very helpful & understood exactly what I was talking about.

Epicurious Dec 18th 2019 12:19 am

Originally Posted by Scuba Tyke (Post 12779737)
Call DVLA on +443007906801 & ask for a letter 'certifying' your existing UK licence & they will provide one. Explain that it's part of the process for the Malaysian authorities to allow you to drive here. Have the obvious details to hand, including your driving licence number. I had mine sent to a UK address, not sure if they will post overseas. The lady I spoke to was very helpful & understood exactly what I was talking about.

I don't understand why they want this letter. Why are a current UK driving licence, plus an IDP, plus passport not sufficient?

Scuba Tyke Dec 18th 2019 5:51 am

Originally Posted by Epicurious (Post 12780068)
I don't understand why they want this letter. Why are a current UK driving licence, plus an IDP, plus passport not sufficient?

That question you would have to ask of JPJ. It's required by their official process. I gave up trying to use logic and reasoning with government departments long ago, if you don't provide what they ask for you don't get what you want, simple as that ;)

Epicurious Dec 18th 2019 9:47 am

Originally Posted by Scuba Tyke (Post 12780135)
That question you would have to ask of JPJ. It's required by their official process. I gave up trying to use logic and reasoning with government departments long ago, if you don't provide what they ask for you don't get what you want, simple as that ;)

You're absolutely right, of course. I'm just trying to divine the reason for the letter. Is it perhaps because UK licences no longer come with the paper counterpart?

Macsta Dec 18th 2019 10:13 am

Originally Posted by Epicurious (Post 12780068)

Thanks for the information Scuba, ref the above I would suggest that it is not the UK licences that are the problem but in an age of counterfeiting when you can literally fake anything they are trying to get verification.

But of course that would not stop a fake verification letter to verify a fake driving licence.:blink:

But all of the above could well be fake news :thumbup:

Scuba Tyke Dec 19th 2019 3:11 am

Originally Posted by Macsta (Post 12780221)
Thanks for the information Scuba, ref the above I would suggest that it is not the UK licences that are the problem but in an age of counterfeiting when you can literally fake anything they are trying to get verification.

But of course that would not stop a fake verification letter to verify a fake driving licence.:blink:

But all of the above could well be fake news :thumbup:

I think that's the most likely reason Macsta. You can have DVLA provide a link online so that others may check your licence validity directly on the DVLA website (useful for car hire companies). However, as that method of verification is not included in the process it's not good enough for JPJ!

Once I have verified everything and have a Malaysian licence in my possession I will write a post explaining the procedure in full.

Macsta Dec 28th 2019 7:32 am

Originally Posted by Scuba Tyke (Post 12779737)

Hi Scuba, I was getting my “certifying letter” faxed from DVLA but now I’m informed that JPJ will not accept the fax so it seems the original letter will be the only route forward. I’ll have to get that sorted and sent out to me.

I would appreciate your update once you have completed, thanks.

Epicurious Feb 4th 2020 9:52 am

The exchange scheme re-opened on 1st Nov '19. It must be done at a State-level JPJ dept. or Putrajaya, a local branch or UTC will not do. These are the documentation requirements:

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...b50e9a396e.jpg

I guess people will have some questions - I'll do my best to answer them.

WiredTight Feb 5th 2020 2:06 am

Well... I hope not to ask too many dumb questions...LoL.

The forms (JPJl1 / B2) are in English and available at office ???
Do the Copies of passport, visa, DL require Notary or other proofs to be Legal ???
Translation of drivers license...I'm assuming this is required IF you DL isn't already in English ???
Letter from Immigration... Is this the original approval letter from MM2H, or... something new that needs to be typed up saying you have MM2H, etc... ???

Thanks in advance.

Epicurious Feb 5th 2020 2:36 am

Originally Posted by WiredTight (Post 12801863)
Well... I hope not to ask too many dumb questions...LoL.

The forms (JPJl1 / B2) are in English and available at office ???
Do the Copies of passport, visa, DL require Notary or other proofs to be Legal ???
Translation of drivers license...I'm assuming this is required IF you DL isn't already in English ???
Letter from Immigration... Is this the original approval letter from MM2H, or... something new that needs to be typed up saying you have MM2H, etc... ???

Thanks in advance.

JPJ L1 is in Malay only. B2 is in Malay and English. They are available at the JPJ office and can be downloaded:
https://www.jpj.gov.my/en/web/main-s...n-form-jpj-l1-
https://www.jpj.gov.my/en/web/main-s...-appendix-b-2-

The JPJ officer will compare the originals and copies, no certification of copies needed.
Translation: Correct, only if the license is not in English. For the UK an embassy letter is not needed.
The original MM2H approval letter from Immigration is fine. Make a copy of that too, just in case.

Additionally, as Scuba Tyke said, if your license is from the UK you will need a Certificate of Entitlement D737 from the DVLA. Just phone the number Scuba gave above. I think they will post abroad, but it could take weeks.
My understanding from doing a lot of reading is that the D737 is necessary only because DVLA abolished the paper counterpart in 2015. If you're not from the UK and have a two-part license (plastic card and paper counterpart) in English, it should not be necessary to produce any further proof of entitlement (but don't take my word for it).

I recommend if you live near KL it's best to go straight to the JPJ HQ in Putrajaya. The staff there are knowledgeable and helpful, plus it's less busy than the State JPJ office.

This thread is worth a read, even though some of the info is out of date: https://britishexpats.com/forum/reti...-870306/page1/