Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Suspension Of Conversion of Foreign Driving Licence to Malaysia Driving Licence

Suspension Of Conversion of Foreign Driving Licence to Malaysia Driving Licence

Old Mar 8th 2020, 12:52 am
Forum Regular

Epicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Suspension Of Conversion of Foreign Driving Licence to Malaysia Driving Lice

Originally Posted by Gunnar45
Epicurious quote:
As I said,one does of course need to have a valid license from a country in the list!
I am not familiar with UK rules, do UK driver licenses become invalid when
the license holder is no longer a permanent resident there?
Or are they valid until their expiry date and then not renewable?
In post #98 I gave a direct quote from the UK Govt website which would indicate yes, they do become invalid. Another official website states that it is compulsory for the license holder to update their permanent address if it changes, and the DVLA will not accept a foreign address. Anyone failing to do this may get away with it for many years, but if they have a really serious accident I wouldn't want to be in their shoes.
Old Mar 8th 2020, 6:53 am
BE Enthusiast

eCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Suspension Of Conversion of Foreign Driving Licence to Malaysia Driving Lice

Originally Posted by Bikbergen
Has anyone ever taken driving lessons at a driving school in Malaysia?
Many, many, many.

Originally Posted by Bikbergen
Would it be easier for her to obtain a PDL licence in Malaysia than the UK?
1 million times cheaper and 2 million times easier.
Old Mar 11th 2020, 6:13 am
Just Joined

Teh Tarik is on a distinguished road

So, I have followed the very helpful advice of Epicurious (and others) on this forum and driven down to Putrajaya armed with all my documents and my paper counterpart to start the conversion process for my wife and myself. The staff were very helpful and it was not busy. For my wife, they took all her paperwork and told her that it will be ready in about 30 working days. For me, they said they could not accept my conversion because I already had a Malaysian motorcycle license (N.B. mid life crisis - don't ask) and so I have only one option but to go back to driving school and do the whole thing again to get my car license.

Anyway, I can confirm that they will accept your paper counterpart (if you still have one) instead of ordering form D737 from DVLA which still hasn't arrived for me here in Malaysia .
Old Mar 11th 2020, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

Epicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teh Tarik
So, I have followed the very helpful advice of Epicurious (and others) on this forum and driven down to Putrajaya armed with all my documents and my paper counterpart to start the conversion process for my wife and myself. The staff were very helpful and it was not busy. For my wife, they took all her paperwork and told her that it will be ready in about 30 working days. For me, they said they could not accept my conversion because I already had a Malaysian motorcycle license (N.B. mid life crisis - don't ask) and so I have only one option but to go back to driving school and do the whole thing again to get my car license.

Anyway, I can confirm that they will accept your paper counterpart (if you still have one) instead of ordering form D737 from DVLA which still hasn't arrived for me here in Malaysia .
Good news about the paper counterpart, bummer about having to take car lessons and a driving test purely because you already have a MY motorcycle licence. In my case they refused to give me an exchange motorcycle license (I have UK car and large bike), saying that they will only exchange a category D car license for foreigners. It's just so poorly thought through.

A tip for your wife: when checking the JPJ website for progress, append GBR to her passport number (assuming she's applied with a UK passport).
Old Mar 11th 2020, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

IanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really nice

Originally Posted by Epicurious
In my case they refused to give me an exchange motorcycle license (I have UK car and large bike), saying that they will only exchange a category D car license for foreigners
That's rubbish, at the moment I don't think I LTSVP have a path to exchange although my wife as a returning Malaysian may have, however, I do use a bike here.
Old Mar 11th 2020, 7:42 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by IanBlakeley
That's rubbish, at the moment I don't think I LTSVP have a path to exchange although my wife as a returning Malaysian may have, however, I do use a bike here.
I did challenge the lady at the front desk at JPJ Putrajaya on this matter. She went inside the office and brought out her superior who confirmed that only car licenses can be exchanged/converted. Go and ask them yourself if you don't believe me.
Old Mar 11th 2020, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

IanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really nice

Originally Posted by Epicurious
I did challenge the lady at the front desk at JPJ Putrajaya on this matter. She went inside the office and brought out her superior who confirmed that only car licenses can be exchanged/converted. Go and ask them yourself if you don't believe me.
Ah no I believe you, I've given up expecting officialdom to make sense anywhere
Old Mar 11th 2020, 10:22 am
Just Joined

So, after 30 years of driving in UK and Europe, I have just signed up for my manual car driving lessons and test to be conducted over the next few weeks. I have the following joys to look forward to:

1) 6 hour mandatory theory course
2) theory test
3) 16 hours of mandatory practical driving lessons
4) practical test

Plus I am somewhat lighter on the bank balance. My wife has been very helpfully laughing at me all day and reminding me that I was a fool to take my motorcycle driving license in Malaysia.
Old Mar 11th 2020, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Teh Tarik
Plus I am somewhat lighter on the bank balance. My wife has been very helpfully laughing at me all day and reminding me that I was a fool to take my motorcycle driving license in Malaysia.
How much of a PITA was it to take the motorcycle test here? I wonder if I can get the car licence swapped[1] If I can retake the bike test here.
Old Mar 11th 2020, 2:51 pm
Just Joined

How much of a PITA was it to take the motorcycle test here? I wonder if I can get the car licence swapped[1] If I can retake the bike test here.

I can’t sugarcoat it: it is a PITA. Especially the mandatory theory course where the instructor spent most of the time plugging his book. I noticed a young guy playing with his phone the whole day. I found out he was doing the Theory test past questions on an app. I followed his lead and passed no problem.

The practical motorcycle lessons were more interesting for me but I did not know how to ride a 500cc bike. You take the test on the same bikes you train on but I noticed the two bikes at the training centre behaved differently so I had to get time on each bike and do the course to remember how each behaved.

I noticed some guys who were clearly very good on the bikes and so had probably been riding for a long while without a license. They came, signed on, spent a bit of time on the bikes and then quietly disappeared - a less painful way to rack up the mandatory hours if you already know what you are doing.

Old Jun 16th 2020, 8:31 am
Now a MM2Her.

Scuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond repute

Today I have finally managed to collect our Malaysian driving licences from JPJ Seremban. Apart from the obvious delay caused by the MCO the whole process for me was held up by the fact that I didn't receive the UK DVLA document until my third attempt at getting one. It was delivered to a friend's UK address, eventually. Goodness knows what happened to the previous two that I am told were sent. Once I had all the documents together I handed them in to JPJ HQ Putrajaya, unfortunately just before the MCO started. This morning I was surprised to learn we would only be issued the 2 year PDL, instead of a full 5 year licence. I have now caught up with recent posts above and understand why. The whole process seems to have been described adequately in this forum, but if anyone has any lingering questions I will do my best to answer them.
Old Aug 10th 2020, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

ChrisC1955 is an unknown quantity at this point

A very interesting thread. Lots of talk about MM2H paperwork but what about us on LTSVP? Are there restrictions?

Also if I understand correctly, even though I have a full motorcycle license qualification on my UK DVLA issued licence, I cannot get a MY motorcycle license. Surely that contravenes the International Agreements which only refer to "Vehicles" and not classes of vehicle.

Thanks to all contributors. What a surreal situation, coming from a country with 2.9 road deaths per 100000 to one with 23.6 per 100000 and we need to "learn" to drive!
Old Sep 21st 2020, 5:24 am
Forum Regular

I finally stirred myself into action and ordered the D737 from DVLA. Had to hang on the phone line around 3/4 of an hour but all fine and they were in my mail box when I got back from KL this week ~ 2weeks maybe less to get here. The form clearly states if you use it to obtain a foreign licence you UK one is invalid. Not sure how they'd know TBF. Mrs. B and I will trot over to the JPJ in Butterworth next week and see if we can start the process, pretty sure as a Malaysian with a foreign licence she can, LTSVP I am unsure and will update. can I confirm what we need is

1. original licence
2. d737
3. photo
4. Application form (I see 2 listed are both needed?)

Anything else?

Tks

Last edited by IanBlakeley; Sep 21st 2020 at 5:34 am.
Old Sep 21st 2020, 6:09 am
Just Joined

For all the documents and photocopies check out post #78 above where epicurious gave a very helpful photo of all the docs required.

As for whether your UK license becomes invalid after getting a Malaysian license I do not believe that it will. When i spoke to DVLA about this back in January/February they said that UK and Malaysia do not have an official “exchange” programme and thus you are not actually “exchanging” one license for the other. Malaysia is actually just giving you a new license.

Last edited by Teh Tarik; Sep 21st 2020 at 6:15 am.
Old Sep 21st 2020, 6:11 am
Forum Regular

Anything else?
Tks
Suggest you re-read my posts #78 & 80.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.