Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Suspension Of Conversion of Foreign Driving Licence to Malaysia Driving Licence

Suspension Of Conversion of Foreign Driving Licence to Malaysia Driving Licence

Old Dec 19th 2019, 3:11 am
Now a MM2Her.

Scuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Suspension Of Conversion of Foreign Driving Licence to Malaysia Driving Lice

Originally Posted by Macsta
Thanks for the information Scuba, ref the above I would suggest that it is not the UK licences that are the problem but in an age of counterfeiting when you can literally fake anything they are trying to get verification.

But of course that would not stop a fake verification letter to verify a fake driving licence.

But all of the above could well be fake news
I think that's the most likely reason Macsta. You can have DVLA provide a link online so that others may check your licence validity directly on the DVLA website (useful for car hire companies). However, as that method of verification is not included in the process it's not good enough for JPJ!

Once I have verified everything and have a Malaysian licence in my possession I will write a post explaining the procedure in full.
Old Dec 28th 2019, 7:32 am
Forum Regular

Macsta is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Suspension Of Conversion of Foreign Driving Licence to Malaysia Driving Lice

Originally Posted by Scuba Tyke
Call DVLA on +443007906801 & ask for a letter 'certifying' your existing UK licence & they will provide one. Explain that it's part of the process for the Malaysian authorities to allow you to drive here. Have the obvious details to hand, including your driving licence number. I had mine sent to a UK address, not sure if they will post overseas. The lady I spoke to was very helpful & understood exactly what I was talking about.
Hi Scuba, I was getting my “certifying letter” faxed from DVLA but now I’m informed that JPJ will not accept the fax so it seems the original letter will be the only route forward. I’ll have to get that sorted and sent out to me.

I would appreciate your update once you have completed, thanks.
Old Feb 4th 2020, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

Epicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond repute

The exchange scheme re-opened on 1st Nov '19. It must be done at a State-level JPJ dept. or Putrajaya, a local branch or UTC will not do. These are the documentation requirements:

I guess people will have some questions - I'll do my best to answer them.
Old Feb 5th 2020, 2:06 am
Forum Regular

WiredTight is just really niceWiredTight is just really niceWiredTight is just really niceWiredTight is just really niceWiredTight is just really niceWiredTight is just really niceWiredTight is just really niceWiredTight is just really nice

Well... I hope not to ask too many dumb questions...LoL.

The forms (JPJl1 / B2) are in English and available at office ???
Do the Copies of passport, visa, DL require Notary or other proofs to be Legal ???
Translation of drivers license...I'm assuming this is required IF you DL isn't already in English ???
Letter from Immigration... Is this the original approval letter from MM2H, or... something new that needs to be typed up saying you have MM2H, etc... ???

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 5th 2020, 2:36 am
Forum Regular

Epicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WiredTight
Well... I hope not to ask too many dumb questions...LoL.

The forms (JPJl1 / B2) are in English and available at office ???
Do the Copies of passport, visa, DL require Notary or other proofs to be Legal ???
Translation of drivers license...I'm assuming this is required IF you DL isn't already in English ???
Letter from Immigration... Is this the original approval letter from MM2H, or... something new that needs to be typed up saying you have MM2H, etc... ???

Thanks in advance.
JPJ L1 is in Malay only. B2 is in Malay and English. They are available at the JPJ office and can be downloaded:
https://www.jpj.gov.my/en/web/main-s...n-form-jpj-l1-
https://www.jpj.gov.my/en/web/main-s...-appendix-b-2-

The JPJ officer will compare the originals and copies, no certification of copies needed.
Translation: Correct, only if the license is not in English. For the UK an embassy letter is not needed.
The original MM2H approval letter from Immigration is fine. Make a copy of that too, just in case.

Additionally, as Scuba Tyke said, if your license is from the UK you will need a Certificate of Entitlement D737 from the DVLA. Just phone the number Scuba gave above. I think they will post abroad, but it could take weeks.
My understanding from doing a lot of reading is that the D737 is necessary only because DVLA abolished the paper counterpart in 2015. If you're not from the UK and have a two-part license (plastic card and paper counterpart) in English, it should not be necessary to produce any further proof of entitlement (but don't take my word for it).

I recommend if you live near KL it's best to go straight to the JPJ HQ in Putrajaya. The staff there are knowledgeable and helpful, plus it's less busy than the State JPJ office.

This thread is worth a read, even though some of the info is out of date: Buying & Driving a car in Malaysia

Last edited by Epicurious; Feb 5th 2020 at 3:39 am. Reason: Download links for JPJ forms added
Old Feb 5th 2020, 3:58 am
Forum Regular

There's potentially a big drawback to this. Your new/exchanged Malaysian license will be Probationary (P), regardless of your previous driving experience. You are not allowed to obtain an IDP in Malaysia with a P license. So, if you've surrendered your home license because you no longer live in that country (as many countries require), then your Malaysian P license may not be legal there because you have no IDP. Hence, you may not be able to drive legally in many countries until you get past the two year probation.

Also, if you do eventually get an IDP from Malaysia, "You need to surrender your domestic license to JPJ as you are not allowed to hold 2 types of licenses at a time." International Driving Permit (IDP) - JPJ Website
Old Feb 5th 2020, 4:17 am
Forum Regular

IanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really nice

Originally Posted by Epicurious
Also, if you do eventually get an IDP from Malaysia, "You need to surrender your domestic license to JPJ as you are not allowed to hold 2 types of licenses at a time." International Driving Permit (IDP) - JPJ Website
A wise person would be sure to obtain a 2nd licence from home country before going through this by reporting their existing missing.
Old Feb 5th 2020, 5:06 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by IanBlakeley
A wise person would be sure to obtain a 2nd licence from home country before going through this by reporting their existing missing.
I understand the JPJ sentence I quoted as referring to the Malaysian domestic license. You can hold one of those, or an IDP issued by JPJ, but not both. That goes against many countries' advice that a foreign license is legal as long as it is accompanied by an IDP.

But I guess you meant that you should hold onto a copy of your home license. That could be all very well, until you have a big accident and insurance companies start digging. I understand that as soon as a D737 is issued, your DVLA license is automatically revoked, but I'm willing to be corrected on that.
Old Feb 5th 2020, 7:06 am
Forum Regular

IanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really nice

But I guess you meant that you should hold onto a copy of your home license. That could be all very well, until you have a big accident and insurance companies start digging. I understand that as soon as a D737 is issued, your DVLA license is automatically revoked, but I'm willing to be corrected on that.
Exactly, hang on to home one, it is not something I'd let worry me in the slightest, they can't apart from a court order or medical reasons revoke the licence qualification, if you fail to renew the photo every 10 years the licence is valid, the actual offence is failing to renew.
Old Feb 18th 2020, 12:56 am
Just Joined

Teh Tarik is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by IanBlakeley
Exactly, hang on to home one, it is not something I'd let worry me in the slightest, they can't apart from a court order or medical reasons revoke the licence qualification, if you fail to renew the photo every 10 years the licence is valid, the actual offence is failing to renew.
As part of the conversion process does JPJ retain (or try to retain) your UK driving license?
Old Feb 18th 2020, 1:46 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Teh Tarik
As part of the conversion process does JPJ retain (or try to retain) your UK driving license?
No, if they mistakenly try to do that you should resist. I believe the license is ultimately the property of the UK Govt. JPJ want to see the original to compare it with the copies you should take along with you.
Old Feb 18th 2020, 3:21 am
Just Joined

No, if they mistakenly try to do that you should resist. I believe the license is ultimately the property of the UK Govt. JPJ want to see the original to compare it with the copies you should take along with you.
Thank you Epicurious and all those who provided helpful information here. It is really important to us to keep our UK licenses because we are in driving in UK and Europe for several months of the year (mainly in Summer). However, I am a little worried that this process will somehow invalidate our UK licenses despite being able to keep them.
Old Feb 18th 2020, 3:31 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Teh Tarik
Thank you Epicurious and all those who provided helpful information here. It is really important to us to keep our UK licenses because we are in driving in UK and Europe for several months of the year (mainly in Summer). However, I am a little worried that this process will somehow invalidate our UK licenses despite being able to keep them.
I think it would be prudent to phone the DVLA and check whether or not the issue of a D737 by them automatically invalidates your UK license. If you do so, please report back.
Old Feb 18th 2020, 10:27 am
The Flying Anglo-Dutchman

Bikbergen is an unknown quantity at this point

Here's a tip for those who are dual national, EU/UK like me.
I hold an UK DVLA licence which is currently recognised in the EU.
But this will no longer be the case from next year when the transition period has ended.
I will then be able to apply for my EU drivers licence (in the Netherlands) next to my UK drivers licence.
I will be converting my UK licence to a Malaysian drivers licence next year when we purchase our car in Penang.
Old Feb 18th 2020, 1:51 pm
Just Joined

I think it would be prudent to phone the DVLA and check whether or not the issue of a D737 by them automatically invalidates your UK license. If you do so, please report back.

I called DVLA who informed me that the issuance of the D737 form does not in itself invalidate your UK license. Apparently, the UK license is only made invalid if there is an official exchange of licenses. Since the UK and Malaysia do not have an official exchange programme the issuance of a Malaysian license would not in itself invalidate your UK license.

It takes at least 2 weeks to arrive in Malaysia apparently.

This gives me sufficient confidence to get the ball rolling here in Malaysia. If anyone else hears something different from DVLA kindly let us know.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.