Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Suspension Of Conversion of Foreign Driving Licence to Malaysia Driving Licence

Suspension Of Conversion of Foreign Driving Licence to Malaysia Driving Licence

Old Jan 14th 2019, 3:15 am
BE Enthusiast

eCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Suspension Of Conversion of Foreign Driving Licence to Malaysia Driving Lice

I am not sure if it is possible to see from the licence that it is a converted licence. And when I made the licence some years ago with the famous embassy letter I was told that no more documents are needed for renewal then later after 5 years, just the old licence.
Old Jan 14th 2019, 7:31 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Suspension Of Conversion of Foreign Driving Licence to Malaysia Driving Lice

Originally Posted by eCdD
I am not sure if it is possible to see from the licence that it is a converted licence. And when I made the licence some years ago with the famous embassy letter I was told that no more documents are needed for renewal then later after 5 years, just the old licence.
This confirms the stories I heard: you only have to show your old ("soon to expire") Malaysian driver's license and JPJ will provide you with a new one.
Old Mar 8th 2019, 6:47 am
Just Joined

Willy789 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm confused. UK licence, on an EP and was wondering if anyone had tried to hire a car when on an EP. no idp. Im sure car hire companies will be up on regulations in order not to break law
Old Mar 8th 2019, 12:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

eCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Willy789
I'm confused. UK licence, on an EP and was wondering if anyone had tried to hire a car when on an EP. no idp. Im sure car hire companies will be up on regulations in order not to break law
A friend of mine just one week before rented a car with his EU driving licence. And added his Chinese wife as second driver just with her passport.
Old Sep 4th 2019, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

Macsta is an unknown quantity at this point

Seems like some positive news

https://www.nst.com.my/news/nation/2019/09/518642/special-consideration-malaysians-convert-foreign-driving-licences-local

Old Sep 4th 2019, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

meched55 is an unknown quantity at this point

WOW finally they are moving in the right direction. WOOHOO
Let's hope they follow through supposed to start in November. Miracles never cease. Now if they would bring back the no tax on car purchases
for MM2H that would be a big incentive too.
Old Dec 1st 2019, 1:49 am
Just Joined

Paisa is an unknown quantity at this point

I was wondering if anyone has yet converted a foreign licence under the new arrangements. I am on MM2H and wish to do this with my UK licence and assume I can simply visit the JPJ on Penang Island for the purpose. Any advice (documents/fees required etc.) would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Old Dec 17th 2019, 2:12 am
Now a MM2Her.

Scuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paisa
I was wondering if anyone has yet converted a foreign licence under the new arrangements. I am on MM2H and wish to do this with my UK licence and assume I can simply visit the JPJ on Penang Island for the purpose. Any advice (documents/fees required etc.) would be appreciated.
Thanks.
I'm currently preparing the forms for this, just waiting for my 'Certification Letter' from DVLA in UK. I'll update once I've submitted.
Old Dec 17th 2019, 4:01 am
Forum Regular

inggris is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Scuba Tyke
I'm currently preparing the forms for this, just waiting for my 'Certification Letter' from DVLA in UK. I'll update once I've submitted.
Just a matter of interest: Is a 'Certification Letter' a "Certificate of Driving Entitlement"? May I know how it can be ordered from DVLA?
Old Dec 17th 2019, 5:02 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the information Scuba, I have not heard of a "certification letter" from DVLA, can you please give more information regarding and obtaining it, many thanks.
Old Dec 17th 2019, 9:37 am
Now a MM2Her.

Scuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond repute

Call DVLA on +443007906801 & ask for a letter 'certifying' your existing UK licence & they will provide one. Explain that it's part of the process for the Malaysian authorities to allow you to drive here. Have the obvious details to hand, including your driving licence number. I had mine sent to a UK address, not sure if they will post overseas. The lady I spoke to was very helpful & understood exactly what I was talking about.
Old Dec 18th 2019, 12:19 am
Forum Regular

Epicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond repute

Call DVLA on +443007906801 & ask for a letter 'certifying' your existing UK licence & they will provide one. Explain that it's part of the process for the Malaysian authorities to allow you to drive here. Have the obvious details to hand, including your driving licence number. I had mine sent to a UK address, not sure if they will post overseas. The lady I spoke to was very helpful & understood exactly what I was talking about.
I don't understand why they want this letter. Why are a current UK driving licence, plus an IDP, plus passport not sufficient?
Old Dec 18th 2019, 5:51 am
Now a MM2Her.

Originally Posted by Epicurious
I don't understand why they want this letter. Why are a current UK driving licence, plus an IDP, plus passport not sufficient?
That question you would have to ask of JPJ. It's required by their official process. I gave up trying to use logic and reasoning with government departments long ago, if you don't provide what they ask for you don't get what you want, simple as that
Old Dec 18th 2019, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

Epicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond repute

That question you would have to ask of JPJ. It's required by their official process. I gave up trying to use logic and reasoning with government departments long ago, if you don't provide what they ask for you don't get what you want, simple as that
You're absolutely right, of course. I'm just trying to divine the reason for the letter. Is it perhaps because UK licences no longer come with the paper counterpart?
Old Dec 18th 2019, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Epicurious
Thanks for the information Scuba, ref the above I would suggest that it is not the UK licences that are the problem but in an age of counterfeiting when you can literally fake anything they are trying to get verification.

But of course that would not stop a fake verification letter to verify a fake driving licence.

But all of the above could well be fake news

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.