Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Suspension Of Conversion of Foreign Driving Licence to Malaysia Driving Licence

Suspension Of Conversion of Foreign Driving Licence to Malaysia Driving Licence

Old Oct 13th 2018, 3:54 am
Forum Regular

Epicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Suspension Of Conversion of Foreign Driving Licence to Malaysia Driving Lice

The last time I got a UK IDP (circa 2010) I had to go to a UK Post Office with my licence and I was issued with an AA IDP. It was an unimpressive document; my photo came unglued after a few days and I had to stick it back in - I could have put anyone's photo there. Maybe things have tightened up since then.
Old Oct 13th 2018, 5:05 am
Forum Regular

IanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really nice
Default Re: Suspension Of Conversion of Foreign Driving Licence to Malaysia Driving Lice

Originally Posted by Epicurious
The last time I got a UK IDP (circa 2010) I had to go to a UK Post Office with my licence and I was issued with an AA IDP. It was an unimpressive document; my photo came unglued after a few days and I had to stick it back in - I could have put anyone's photo there. Maybe things have tightened up since then.
Still issued by the post office, in person only one year validity although legally if I understand correctly it can be up to three. I have checked their online help it says recommended only for Malaysia, the only place I've been where I needed a IDP was Qatar, couldn't hire a car without it. I've hired elsewhere including Malaysia without.
Old Oct 13th 2018, 8:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Gunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond repute

The IDP validity time depends on the convention applied.
1949 allows for max one year IDP validity.
1968 allows for max three years IDP validity
Malaysia is not a signatory of the 1968 convention.
So it is important to state in which countries you intend to use it.
Old Oct 13th 2018, 10:50 am
BE Enthusiast

eCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IanBlakeley
The implication being that an EU licence is fine for non commercial use. I do wonder what the status of our UK licences maybe come March next year, hopefully by then there will be some clarification.
I never had beed checked before I got my MY driving licence, but a French friend from KL many times. He had no problem with the "driving licence of the EU model".
Old Oct 14th 2018, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

Macsta is an unknown quantity at this point

I will (more in hope than expectations) write to the British Embassy explaining the dilemma that a British citizen can only drive in MY with their native driving licence if accompanied by a IDP but for those UK citizens who have declared themselves 'UK non resident" they cannot obtain an IDP.

However the answer in reality is in the declaration, I guess if you declare yourself a 'non resident' then do not expect the same full provisions and services provided to 'residents' although from the thread Australia seems to have more flexibility than the UK.

Also if you are a long term guest in another country then you have to abide by their regulations and if that means passing a local test then so be it. One of my concerns if that insurance companies are notorious for finding any reason not to pay a claim and if there any licence ambiguities for expats then this might be exploited.

However I believe the MM2H benefits should include automatic conversion of foreign driving licences (within given treaties) as this enhances the appeal of the programme.

Maybe any Brit who is attending the High Commission afternoon tea in KL can raise the topic for the consular teams opinion:

Announcements - Year 2018 - Inviting British Retirees In Malaysia To Join The British High Commission's Consular Team For Afternoon Tea
Old Oct 15th 2018, 4:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

RedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond repute

I was just about to suggest raising this at the High Tea. I wonder if only Ministry of Tourism (not Ministry of Immigration) people will show up and say "We no longer are involved, you need to contact the MoI or Ministry of Domestic Affairs' (i.e. pass the buck)

"As you can see, the regulations vary between the areas of Malaysia."

Maybe I'll head over to the Sarawak Road Transport Department and see if I can still convert there. Might be a means of circumventing the "Announcement" ;-)
Old Oct 15th 2018, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by RedApe
I was just about to suggest raising this at the High Tea.
As I will not be at the afternoon tea I have already written to the High Commision asking them to raise the issue with the Director who is attending. One of my concerns is that it states “suspension” not cancellation. So is it fair to expect expats to go through the process of lessons and tests (including expense) to obtain a local driving licence only for the ‘suspension’ to be lifted.

If I receive any feedback from my email I will post it.
Old Nov 5th 2018, 6:52 am
Forum Regular

In light of the information from the BHC session that the licence conversion facility has not been suspended but cancelled does anyone have any recommendations of any driving schools in Penang that are expat orientated plus the approximate costs?
Old Nov 6th 2018, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

simon2017 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Macsta
In light of the information from the BHC session that the licence conversion facility has not been suspended but cancelled does anyone have any recommendations of any driving schools in Penang that are expat orientated plus the approximate costs?
I saw this link in another blog for a driving school at Tanjung Bungah which covers costs, process, timeframes etc. No personal experience myself so will be interested at how you get on. The blog is from 2014 so may be out of date but the driving school is still there.

Getting a driving licence in Penang - Tropical Expat
Old Nov 6th 2018, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

Many thanks for the link Simon, it will be some time before I proceed but for sure I will update on the experience.
Old Nov 7th 2018, 12:39 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simon2017
I saw this link in another blog for a driving school at Tanjung Bungah which covers costs, process, timeframes etc. No personal experience myself so will be interested at how you get on. The blog is from 2014 so may be out of date but the driving school is still there.

Getting a driving licence in Penang - Tropical Expat
I think the information in the blog is still accurate. I know someone who recently got their licence through Cathay and the cost was RM1,650 but the provisional licence now costs RM400.

Of course there are ways to avoid a lot of this hassle, a question of who you know

Also, I am told the toilets at the driving centre are pretty nasty, so be prepared.
Old Nov 7th 2018, 5:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
Of course there are ways to avoid a lot of this hassle, a question of who you know
Many thanks for the update IVV.

Actually I think being pulled over and having my UK driving licence questioned are slim however my concern is should I be involved in a traffic accident my insurance maybe invalid or at least a potential loophole for the insurance company not to pay out.
Old Nov 14th 2018, 5:11 am
Just Joined

Ptnmrk is an unknown quantity at this point

I am British and Australian. I arrived in Malaysia on a full time work permit last November. I tried on several occasions to get a local licence because that is what I thought I was supposed to do. Every time I went to JPJ i got a different answer as to what I needed to do to get a Malaysian licence. The last time I went I was told that I needed a letter from my home country Consulate certifying that I had a valid licence ( in this case we are talking about an Australian License). This is a challenge I can tell you! I am very happy that I do not need to bother getting a local license and that all I need in addition to my Australian licence is a valid International Licence as well. I can renew this every year when I visit my family in Australia ( I can see that this would be painful if you do not go home every year). I don't think the Expat community should worry about this too much as the Malaysian authorities do not seem to be too worried about it. If they were worried about it they would make the rules clear and transparent. If they make it too hard then the answer is Grab!!
Old Nov 18th 2018, 7:13 am
BE Enthusiast

RedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meched55
Seems like more and more the MM2H program isn't so great after all. More requirements, more red tape, loss of tax benefits like buying a new car etc.
Now we need an international permit along with a Malaysian drivers license. Why would one need both? Isn't the Malaysian drivers license good enough?
Our international permit from the USA is only good for one year.
My reading of this is that they are not saying that Malaysian Drivers Licenses already issued are invalid. They are saying that they are no longer ISSUING them through CONVERSION. Essentially one will be expected to use your home-based DL with an International DL certificate. If you want a Malaysian DL (and do not already have one) you need to obtain one through the driving school/exam procedure.
Old Nov 18th 2018, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

meched55 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok so what are the requirements for a foreigner to get a Malaysian drivers licence? A passport and written exam along with a driving test? Does one need the mm2h visa too?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.