Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Suspension Of Conversion of Foreign Driving Licence to Malaysia Driving Licence

Suspension Of Conversion of Foreign Driving Licence to Malaysia Driving Licence

Old Oct 4th 2018, 7:44 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Suspension Of Conversion of Foreign Driving Licence to Malaysia Driving Licence

By coincidence I found the below message on the government's MM2H website. I don't know how long the message has been posted as it does not have a date stamp. The wording of the announcement gives me the impression that this is not limited to MM2H visa holders only.

The Suspension Of Conversion of Foreign Driving Licence to Malaysia Driving Licence

The Road Transport Department of Malaysia suspends the conversion of foreign driving licence to Malaysia driving licence effective 24 September 2018.
However, diplomatic pass holders and Singapore driving licence holders (Malaysians who convert their driving licences to obtain Singapore driving licences) are exempted from the ruling.
Foreign driving licence holders must use International Driving Permit together with their respective domestic driving licences to drive in Malaysia.
Alternatively, they are advised to apply for Malaysia driving licence via authorized driving schools based on existing procedures.
Announcements - Year 2018 - The Suspension Of Conversion of Foreign Driving Licence to Malaysia Driving Licence
Old Oct 4th 2018, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

Epicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Suspension Of Conversion of Foreign Driving Licence to Malaysia Driving Lice

Certain countries do not allow one to continue to hold their licence unless you are a permanent resident. How then is one expected to conform? I think it's a bit harsh to make those people take driving tests.
Old Oct 5th 2018, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

meched55 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Suspension Of Conversion of Foreign Driving Licence to Malaysia Driving Lice

Seems like more and more the MM2H program isn't so great after all. More requirements, more red tape, loss of tax benefits like buying a new car etc.
Now we need an international permit along with a Malaysian drivers license. Why would one need both? Isn't the Malaysian drivers license good enough?
Our international permit from the USA is only good for one year.
Old Oct 5th 2018, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

Epicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meched55
Seems like more and more the MM2H program isn't so great after all. More requirements, more red tape, loss of tax benefits like buying a new car etc.
Now we need an international permit along with a Malaysian drivers license. Why would one need both? Isn't the Malaysian drivers license good enough?
Our international permit from the USA is only good for one year.
You don't need both. IDP plus your home country licence is permitted. The change is that you can no longer convert your home country licence into a Malaysian one. If you want a Malaysian licence you will have to take a driving test.
Old Oct 6th 2018, 6:26 am
Forum Regular

IanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really nice

This Recognition Of Driving Licenses Of Foreign Countries - Driver - JPJ Portal - Jabatan Pengangkutan Jalan & this List of Countries signed Convention on Road Traffic done at Geneva 1949 would suggest that for a US licence no IDP is required, it is in english and the US is a signatory of United Nation Conference on Road and Motor Transport, Geneva, 1949. The licence needs to remain valid in the US.
Old Oct 7th 2018, 11:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Suspension Of Conversion of Foreign Driving Licence to Malaysia Driving Lice

Originally Posted by Epicurious
You don't need both. IDP plus your home country licence is permitted. The change is that you can no longer convert your home country licence into a Malaysian one. If you want a Malaysian licence you will have to take a driving test.
Can't be that difficult to pass a Malaysian Driving Test when you see the standard of Malaysian drivers.

Akchewlee I've found Malaysian drivers to be much better than Singapore drivers.
Old Oct 8th 2018, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

simon2017 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had been researching getting a Malaysian drivers license via this method so disappointed it has been suspended. During my research I did see however a number of statements to the effect that you can only use your IDP or home country drivers license (if allowed) for 90 days only and then need to get a Malaysian drivers license. I have found no such statements on any official government website. The 90 days may only be a conclusion based on the 90 day tourist visa limit.

If this statement is true however then those on MM2H or other longer term visas could be exposed when driving if they don't leave the country every 90 days.
Does anyone have any knowledge of the official government position on this ?
Old Oct 8th 2018, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

Wow, what a mess! A case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing?
Old Oct 8th 2018, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

Macsta is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by simon2017
your IDP or home country drivers license (if allowed) for 90 days only and then need to get a Malaysian drivers license. I have found no such statements on any official government website. The 90 days may only be a conclusion based on the 90 day tourist visa limit.

If this statement is true however then those on MM2H or other longer term visas could be exposed when driving if they don't leave the country every 90 days.
Does anyone have any knowledge of the official government position on this ?
According to UK official site, the IDP issued in UK, is valid for 12 months HOWEVER the IDP is only issued within the UK (at Post Offices), not mailed out, so it seems a trip back to would be necessary to stay legal if using this method to drive unless you pass a local driving test.

Simon may be correct that it only is applicable for use with tourist visa of 90 days but surely an MM2H visa trumps that requirement.

As Epicurious stated, what a mess.

Last edited by Macsta; Oct 8th 2018 at 9:43 am.
Old Oct 8th 2018, 11:11 am
Forum Regular

simon2017 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes a mess.

My current drivers license (an Australian license) expires in a few months (as well as my IDP) and while in Australia they allow online renewal, but they don''t do it for those over 40 as they require an eyesight test. That means a trip back to Australia. May well be the same for other countries.

Don't feel like going as a learner and paying $2k ringgit to do a Malaysian drivers license.

If anyone has the "Official" position on how long anyone can drive in Malaysia on an IDP or home country license would be appreciated.
Old Oct 9th 2018, 2:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Gunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes indeed, what a mess!

JPJ states:
''(Pursuant to Section 28 of the APJ 1987 mentioned above, holders of foreign driving license can drive in this country as long as domestic foreign driving license is still valid. In this respect, foreign nationals are not required to hold a Malaysian driving license to drive in Malaysia . However, this section only subject to the countries which are parties under "United Nation Conference on Road and Motor Transport, Geneva, 1949 & 1968".)''

The text of APJ 1987, Section 28:
''Recognition of driving licences of other countries 28.
A driving licence issued under the corresponding provisions of any law in force in any country which is a party to a treaty to which Malaysia is also a party and which purports to recognize domestic driving licences issued by the contracting countries shall, so long as such licence remains in force in that country, be deemed to be a driving licence granted under this Part.''

There is no mention of any additional requirements in the form of a certified translation or International Driving Permit, but this could very well be stipulated as an additional requirment elsewhere.
Here it may be of interest to know that Malaysia is NOT a signatory of the 1968 convention (which by the way was signed in Vienna, not in Geneva)
The 1968 convention allows for an IDP with a three years validity, whereas an IDP issued as per 1949 convention only allows for a validity of one year!

In conclusion, I think there are three possibly(!) legal options for MM2H'ers wanting to drive in Malaysia:
1. Obtain a MY drivers license.
2. Drive with the home country DL + 1949 IDP which must be renewed each year.
3. Drive with the home country DL and if it is not in English language + a home country Embassy certified translation.
Old Oct 9th 2018, 6:56 am
BE Enthusiast

eCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if I can extend my MY driving licence when it ends in 2022.
Old Oct 9th 2018, 7:35 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eCdD
I wonder if I can extend my MY driving licence when it ends in 2022.
Mine is up for renewal in 2021. I indeed hope that they will extend it. Otherwise I have to revert to my home country driving license, which, luckily, is valid for a couple more years beyond that.
-I didn't see any official text saying that an English translation must be provided with any foreign driving license which is written in another language. I wonder how the police will react if they get to see, for example, a Japanese or Arabic driving license.-

Edit: I didn't read the JPJ page carefully. An advice is given there: "License owners are advised to bring along a copy of Driving License Confirmation letter from Embassy of the country of origin or translation letter from the Embassy (if the relevant driving license uses language other than English) while driving in Malaysia."

Last edited by SushiFan; Oct 9th 2018 at 7:42 am.
Old Oct 9th 2018, 9:34 am
BE Enthusiast

eCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SushiFan
Edit: I didn't read the JPJ page carefully. An advice is given there: "License owners are advised to bring along a copy of Driving License Confirmation letter from Embassy of the country of origin or translation letter from the Embassy (if the relevant driving license uses language other than English) while driving in Malaysia."
I brought this to them when applying, they kept the original and said it will not be needed again, for renewal only the old MY licence is needed.
Old Oct 9th 2018, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

Macsta is an unknown quantity at this point

This is now becoming as clear as a Supreme Court appointment.

According to MM2H announcement you can still drive with (origin country) valid driving licence as long as it is accompanied by a valid IDP.

Now as a Brit, the IDP can only be issued to a UK resident. It is predominately for use by people on holiday.

https://www.gov.uk/driving-abroad

So as I am not a UK resident ipso facto I cannot apply for an IDP and as such I have no choice but to take driving lessons in MY and pass the local test.

According to the UK gov site I can drive initially for three months on my UK licence

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-malaysia

I would advise other nationalities to check that an IDP can be issued if you are a non resident without a MY driving licence.

So for insurance purposes it seems after the initial three months expires I will not be able to drive in MY until I pass my local test.

Can any MY Brit please confirm the above is correct and that obtaining a MY local licence is the only option and if so is three months a feasible time period to take the lessons and the test?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.