British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/)
-   -   Support for Special Needs Children in Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/support-special-needs-children-malaysia-763728/)

abdulawwal Jul 3rd 2012 9:58 am

Support for Special Needs Children in Malaysia

Hi all,

Wanted to ask if anyone moved to KL with children requiring support in school, specifically for Autism? My son has Aspergers as well as ADHD. Has anyone had experience of how schools treat SEN children?

Maybe someone has experiences with Dyslexia? I'm aware of NASOM which provides out of school help. Any other centres or organisations?

Regards
Abu

ajw Jul 3rd 2012 11:27 am

Re: Support for Special Needs Children in Malaysia

Are you talking about International Schools particularly?

If I were you, I would make this a priority before uprooting my family. Not many International schools have the resources to cater for children with special needs unless they are 'mild'.

Speak to private organizations such as Hils Learning Malaysia http://www.hilslearning.com/, but do keep in mind that you might be turned away from schools if your child requires help that they simply cannot provide.

abdulawwal Jul 3rd 2012 12:15 pm

Hi ajw,

Thanks for the excellent link. It was very, very useful and exactly what I needed! Thank you.

You're right about schools turning us away. Alice Smith and a couple of others said no outright. Others have said they need to see doctors reports and school progress from the UK.

Still others have said it's OK but external assistance may be required, which is where organisations like NASOM come in to play.

I'm looking at International schools as well as local private ones such as Sri KL or Sri Sedaya. My sons condition is mil in the sense he is OK and settled in a learning environment and is excelling in some areas. Other areas he doesn't show interest!

Thanks.
Abu

Nemodot Jul 5th 2012 3:49 pm

SEN children cost money and schools survive on a* grades. So do the maths..... Most use entrance tests to filter out any sen. In Malaysia in general sen education is in the 1930s. In state schools provision is actually no joke "bigger stick and more beatings" or as many parents do just lock them away with a maid as the social shame or "gods punishment upon them" attitude (I actually heard that from a parent that it was gods punishment that they had a sen child). So it's no surprise that sen isn't a big priority in Malaysia. Home schooling is one option but seriously isn't good for a child's social development. Some may consider you but with you paying for a TA to support the child. Prob cheaper to hire someone and offer that support when applying. You will also find that nearer exam time you will be asked to withdraw your child.... Hurts the 100% success rate. Good luck with your search.

ajw Jul 5th 2012 10:38 pm

Eugh, so depressing to read this but it doesn't come as a huge surprise.

abdulawwal Jul 6th 2012 2:02 am

Thanks for the pointers.

Makes sense about schools trying to keep their high performance records, although I don't agree with the principle! In fact, my son is doing well academically, particularly in literacy. His requirements are more social development.

I have a meeting setup in couple of weeks with HILS Learning so will have further pointers then. Will feedback.

Regards
Abu

Nitelite Jul 21st 2012 2:08 am

Hello. Just came across this thread...don't know if you are still interested but my son goes to a speech delay therapist who has a lot of autistic kids coming to his clinic. He told me that the Australian school willingly takes on autistic kids as long as they are high functioning. If you need any further details let me know I can pass on the therapists name.

ajw Jul 21st 2012 3:27 am

Hi Nitelite, thats great info about the Australian school. Good to see a school here catering for kids with different needs to the norm.

abdulawwal Jul 21st 2012 10:25 am

Hi all

Arrived back in the UK couple of days ago and already got a cold!

I visited Hils Learning earlier in the week and they were very helpful, giving me a list of schools that adhere to the British curriculum and also cater for SEN children. They also highlighted their services and costs. Seems to be a good setup.

Nitelite; It would be good to find out which Australian school the therapist was referring to. When I return, I can visit them for further info. Do you know the name?

Regards
Abu

ajw Jul 24th 2012 4:04 am

There is just one school in Malaysia which teaches the Australian (NSW) curriculum: Australian International School Malaysia
http://www.aism.edu.my/

abdulawwal Jul 25th 2012 5:39 pm

Thanks for the link ajw

RoseyKerry Jan 7th 2013 7:40 am

Originally Posted by abdulawwal (Post 10151937)
Hi all,

Wanted to ask if anyone moved to KL with children requiring support in school, specifically for Autism? My son has Aspergers as well as ADHD. Has anyone had experience of how schools treat SEN children?

Maybe someone has experiences with Dyslexia? I'm aware of NASOM which provides out of school help. Any other centres or organisations?

Regards
Abu

Hello Abu,
I am an American expat livingin in Malaysia. I realize this is months after your post, but wanted to tell you about a home-based communication therapy program (KL area included) for children with special needs, that focuses on the child and the parent. Maybe you've found some assistance, but if you are not satisfied or looking for a program to produce results (!) contact numbers: 010.270.7895 or 012.935.4547. All the best.

Sue Jan 8th 2013 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by RoseyKerry (Post 10468418)
Hello Abu,
I am an American expat livingin in Malaysia. I realize this is months after your post, but wanted to tell you about a home-based communication therapy program (KL area included) for children with special needs, that focuses on the child and the parent. Maybe you've found some assistance, but if you are not satisfied or looking for a program to produce results (!) contact numbers: 010.270.7895 or 012.935.4547. All the best.

Please note it's ok for you to respond to posts with such information, but please don't start threads with the same info, it looks a bit spammy which I am sure is not your intention. Instead you can add the details to your forum signature and that way when you interact with other members the details will show when you post.

Many thanks

RoseyKerry Jan 9th 2013 2:38 am

Originally Posted by abdulawwal (Post 10151937)
Hi all,

Regards
Abu

I came across this: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Lemmit/
This might help!

RoseyKerry Jan 9th 2013 2:41 am

Originally Posted by Sue (Post 10471380)
Please note it's ok for you to respond to posts with such information, but please don't start threads with the same info, it looks a bit spammy which I am sure is not your intention. Instead you can add the details to your forum signature and that way when you interact with other members the details will show when you post.

Many thanks

Thank you! Just trying to help :)