British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/)
-   -   Sunny Penang - what's everyone up to? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/sunny-penang-whats-everyone-up-775329/)

kennyboy33 Dec 8th 2012 7:43 am

Re: Sunny Penang - what's everyone up to?

Are paper Xmas cards slowly going the way of UK high street shops I wonder..soon to be extinct?

wife and I coming over to live in week or two on mm2h.Certainly will not miss English weather..awful

Those pics look great bb.

think we will rent for a while in Penang area..before buying in Sungai Petani.wife is originally from M'sia. sorry, i've gone right off topic !

Kenny

bakedbean Dec 8th 2012 12:16 pm

Not off topic at all Kenny. Quite a lot of expat ladies here in Penang are originally from Malaysia too. How long will you stay in Penang?

kennyboy33 Dec 8th 2012 3:11 pm

Well most likely around a year or so maybe BB, or at least until bought a house in Kedah. Mrs Kenny seems to think a house price fall is on its way soon..mmm not too sure.

Any particular areas you recommend in Penang? seem to be a shed loads of apartments for rent .ideally would like 3 or even 4 bed fully furnished house though.hopefully under rm 1k a month if thats doable. :unsure:

The Mudah website is very useful.

bakedbean Dec 9th 2012 2:58 am

You'll be lucky to get a titchy sized apartment for RM 1000 a month, at least up in the north of the island.

I would have thought that it would be far cheaper to rent in Sungai Petani. Any reason why you want to rent in Penang?

Yes, Mudah is a good starting point to research. Loads of other websites too.

Re: where the expat retirees live, check out this thread:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=761892

If you don't wish to mingle with expat retirees :D also check out the south of the island, which is developing fast (due to the proximity to the second bridge which should be complete next year). Also handy for the airport. Some nice little areas down there.

Have you been to Penang before? I cannot remember what you posted before. Best to hire a car and drive around and get a feel for the different locations.

kennyboy33 Dec 9th 2012 6:42 am

yeah might just rent in Sungai Petani..we're keeping our plans very flexible.wife is Chinese Malaysian and she seems to be leaning towards Penang i think.and also the huge choice of life there.perhaps an apartment Penang way.

I visited back in the early 90's..loads of change since then all over I'm certain

staying at wife's families house in KL to start with,take it from there really.

bakedbean Dec 9th 2012 7:03 am

Originally Posted by kennyboy33 (Post 10423899)

staying at wife's families house in KL to start with,take it from there really.

That's handy :) Yes, just need to check places out and see if they feel like "home". I've not yet visited Sungai Petani but hear that it's nice - obviously going to be a lot quieter than Penang. Having said that, you can find quiet places on Penang island. Once you drive beyond Bt Ferringhi, it's like a different world.

mikemike Dec 9th 2012 9:10 am

Originally Posted by kennyboy33 (Post 10423201)
Well most likely around a year or so maybe BB, or at least until bought a house in Kedah. Mrs Kenny seems to think a house price fall is on its way soon..mmm not too sure.

Any particular areas you recommend in Penang? seem to be a shed loads of apartments for rent .ideally would like 3 or even 4 bed fully furnished house though.hopefully under rm 1k a month if thats doable. :unsure:

The Mudah website is very useful.

Hi there any reason why Mrs kenny thinks that price drop is coming as prices have been pretty depressed here for a while now. Or do we blame it on the tea leaves:p

kennyboy33 Dec 9th 2012 10:18 am

could be the tea leaves

kennyboy33 Dec 9th 2012 10:29 am

what ,would anyone who knows say, are the pros and cons of apartment living
in Penang?

bakedbean Dec 9th 2012 12:04 pm

Sounds like a good topic for a new thread :) Do ya wanna kick it off?

bakedbean Dec 18th 2012 2:46 am

Another sunny day today. What's everyone up to?

I've been mostly fiddlin' about on the computer, fiddlin' about in the kitchen, and had a little walk this morning in the condo gardens. Out for gossip and coffees with some other MM2Hers this afternoon. Thinking that I've not had a Penang Assam Laksa for some weeks.... could be tonight maybe.

Scrasey2 Dec 18th 2012 2:58 am

I've just got back from a big shop in Cold Storage in Gurney Plaza. Just got the last few bits and bobs for Christmas. Bit of a breeze in the air this morning so was a lovely walk down.

Waiting in now for courier delivery for last 2 Christmas pressies.

Nothing very exciting today!

bakedbean Dec 18th 2012 8:00 am

I like your snowman :) Of course wouldn't last 5 seconds here. My car thermostat reckoned it was 35 degrees outside this afternoon. Building up to a storm I reckon.

Scrasey2 Dec 18th 2012 9:09 am

Ha! Seems you were right!! Pouring down now.

bakedbean Dec 19th 2012 8:52 am

Yes... and another big lot just now.