Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Streaming UK TV in Malaysia

Streaming UK TV in Malaysia

Old Aug 17th 2018, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

NeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Streaming UK TV in Malaysia

If you want to watch UK TV, the starting point should be a proxy DNS to fool the UK servers into thinking your ip address is in the UK. Then you either need a kodi box or similar hooked up to you tv or, my preferred option, a smart TV that allows you to set it's region code.

This works for Samsung smart TVs (others may work but I've only tested on Samsung smart TVs). You input a series of codes through the handset to tell the TV it is in the UK and it will go and load all of the standard apps that a UK TV would have. Now you can watch all of the UK channels straight from the TV with no need for an additional box.

​​​
Old Aug 18th 2018, 5:44 am
Forum Regular

PoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NeonHippy
If you want to watch UK TV, the starting point should be a proxy DNS to fool the UK servers into thinking your ip address is in the UK. Then you either need a kodi box or similar hooked up to you tv or, my preferred option, a smart TV that allows you to set it's region code.

This works for Samsung smart TVs (others may work but I've only tested on Samsung smart TVs). You input a series of codes through the handset to tell the TV it is in the UK and it will go and load all of the standard apps that a UK TV would have. Now you can watch all of the UK channels straight from the TV with no need for an additional box.

​​​
That is the magic the tech boys will do for you once you contact them. They have DNS settings to allow all the UK TV through. I have a smart tv but prefer to link through and old PC, comes in handy for recording iPlayer. Also the TV cannot send the manufacturer any information you don't wish to give them. With 42Mbps you are not short of speed so streaming should be fine........All those websites will enable you to watch the TV live as well........... If you only loaded the programme and didn't subscribe they throttle your download to 1Mbps as per their terms and conditions of the free trail.........Nothing good is for free these days.
Old Aug 18th 2018, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NeonHippy

​​​
This sounds great.

Is there a step by step list of how to do this for a non techie.
Old Aug 19th 2018, 12:42 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex reg
This sounds great.

Is there a step by step list of how to do this for a non techie.
Hi Reg, what NH proposes is a great solution but it would be a bit of a struggle for a non-techie as you need to change the settings in your router and hack your TV. Routers are differ, some allow DNS server changers but some ISP's override the DNS settings anyway. TV's are different too, not all can be hacked and the hacks can vary according to the model.

If you want to do this you'll have to research on the web for your particular router and TV and you'll probably find a YouTube which explains how to do it. You could post back here (or in The Lab) in the hope that someone has the same configuration.

It is a great solution as a smart DNS proxy, unlike a VPN, does not re-route all your traffic, it just intercepts the packets which contain your geo-location and hence is much faster. And using iPlayer etc on the TV generally means a much better quality image, fewer cables and an easier user interface (with just one remote).

Good luck!
Old Aug 19th 2018, 7:47 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
Hi Reg, what NH proposes is a great solution but it would be a bit of a struggle for a non-techie as you need to change the settings in your router and hack your TV. Routers are differ, some allow DNS server changers but some ISP's override the DNS settings anyway. TV's are different too, not all can be hacked and the hacks can vary according to the model.

If you want to do this you'll have to research on the web for your particular router and TV and you'll probably find a YouTube which explains how to do it. You could post back here (or in The Lab) in the hope that someone has the same configuration.

It is a great solution as a smart DNS proxy, unlike a VPN, does not re-route all your traffic, it just intercepts the packets which contain your geo-location and hence is much faster. And using iPlayer etc on the TV generally means a much better quality image, fewer cables and an easier user interface (with just one remote).

Good luck!
Thanks for that.

Easy to find the instructions using google and it appears to work for many TVs and routers, you can choose your TV manufacturer specifically or your router generally.

But it does ask that you input two DNS Server fields for the two countries closest to you.

Singapore is one but there isn't a second country as Malaysia isn't on the list neither is Indonesia, Thailand etc.
Does that matter?
Old Aug 19th 2018, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

''This works for Samsung smart TVs (others may work but I've only tested on Samsung smart TVs). You input a series of codes through the handset to tell the TV it is in the UK and it will go and load all of the standard apps that a UK TV would have. Now you can watch all of the UK channels straight from the TV with no need for an additional box''

I have a samsumg smart Tv and i am just not smart enough to work this out.

What codes do you input using a handset, we have the handset that came with the TV.

We use PLDT not Fibre and use their modem
Old Aug 19th 2018, 11:36 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that.

But it does ask that you input two DNS Server fields for the two countries closest to you.

Singapore is one but there isn't a second country as Malaysia isn't on the list neither is Indonesia, Thailand etc.
Does that matter?
I find it doesn't seem to make much difference, but I have set DNS 1 to Singapore and DNS 2 to Germany and it works fine.
Old Aug 20th 2018, 7:34 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

Not specifically for TV, but in general I use Google's DNS servers at 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 These have served me well here in Malaysia.
Old Aug 20th 2018, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks to Sushi and InVino and of course Neon.

Now I can't wait to get back to Singapore to try this out.

New series called Strangers beginning on ITV in September which I thought I wouldn't be able to watch all the way through.

This is the system I looked at:

Smart DNS Proxy | Samsung TV Setup for Smart DNS Proxy
Old Aug 20th 2018, 10:46 am
Hostage Negotiator

Thanks to Sushi and InVino and of course Neon.

Now I can't wait to get back to Singapore to try this out.

New series called Strangers beginning on ITV in September which I thought I wouldn't be able to watch all the way through.

This is the system I looked at:

Smart DNS Proxy Samsung TV Setup for Smart DNS Proxy
I haven't tried changing the DNS servers in my Samsung Smart TV so I can't comment on this but changing them in the router has the advantage that all your connected devices will use the proxy servers which is useful if you have a Kodi type box connected to the TV for streaming movies.
SmartDNSProxy works very well - it's a good choice.
Old Aug 20th 2018, 10:50 am
Hostage Negotiator

Originally Posted by SushiFan
Not specifically for TV, but in general I use Google's DNS servers at 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 These have served me well here in Malaysia.
These are the standard Google DNS servers but they don't bypass geo-blocking which you need to do for most UKTV streaming.
Old Aug 21st 2018, 9:25 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
These are the standard Google DNS servers but they don't bypass geo-blocking which you need to do for most UKTV streaming.
Oh, I see. Sorry in case I misguided somebody with this.