Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Stopping in Malacca/Melaka or elsewhere for a couple of nights

Stopping in Malacca/Melaka or elsewhere for a couple of nights

Old Sep 26th 2011, 7:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stopping in Malacca/Melaka or elsewhere for a couple of nights

Look forward to some up to date comments on all things Melaka. I was looking at recent photos from there the other day and was shocked by the apparent development.
Although must say it always looks rather dead around the riverside walk and cafes. I've see a few photos of it now and all point to a serious lack of people. Is this really the case? Great idea to have Melaka thread for good food venus,lodgements and pubs etc.
Old Sep 26th 2011, 8:33 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

I'll give you my thoughts when I've been. Looking forward to seeing it and hopefully having some great food there.
Old Sep 26th 2011, 10:45 am
ajw

Location: Melbourne - London - Bangkok - Melbourne - Kuala Lumpur - Melbourne
ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute

Stayed at the Puri and loved it. Fantastic ambience and location. Personally I'd rather stay in the old town as the new section seems a bit souless. I was hoping for better things in terms od shopping but there seem to be very few genuine antiques now in Melaka and the ones they do have are prohibitively expensive. The best part was taking in the old Chinese shopfronts and houses, just beautiful!
Old Sep 27th 2011, 3:33 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Any eatery recommendations, ajw? I think the one place that ex-reg mentioned, Harpers, is quite close to the Puri, isn't it? Did you try there?
Old Sep 27th 2011, 4:52 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean View Post
Any eatery recommendations, ajw? I think the one place that ex-reg mentioned, Harpers, is quite close to the Puri, isn't it? Did you try there?
Dunno when you're off there bb but Harpers is no longer as good as it was still great position.
The Tarragon, just 100 m upriver is better, still good position and they allow byo wine if you ask beforehand. Friendly staff as well.

The Puri although well established became famous because it was used for many of the scenes of a chinese language Peranakan style long running very popular TV series in Singapore.
So Singaporeans flocked there, as is their wont.
Of course it has been upgraded. Haven't stayed there but the public areas are fine.

We always stay in The Baba House, just along the road from the Puri.
The Baba House is the same Peranakan style as the Puri and we like it more but the Singaporean public go for the Puri.

The room we stay in is right next to a very big balcony and although that's a public balcony few guests know about it or use it so while there it becomes 'our very own' for a quiet drink watching the sun set.
There are some very nice features in the Baba House. If they were only reno'ed properly they'd be fablus, but as is the Malaysian way ...
http://www.malacca.ws/babahouse/ The photos in the url must have been taken immediately after the reno
The Puri and Baba House are not international style hotels, but better for it imo but don't expect what you won't get.
They are both within 3 min of the Jonkers area with it's Fri, Sat Pasar Malam, 'antique shops'. small coffee shops and a lot of good museums, The Paranakan Museum especially although you've prolly seen all that in Penang.
One more thing about these two hotels is that they have their own parking areas which we've found to be safe.

I wouldn't bother with the Chicken Rice Ball restaurants especially the one with a 50 m queue at mid day which is 100% full of Singaporeans waiting under the hot sun expecting something which turns out to be Blah.
We found the Newton Circus food courts not up to much.

Other places to eat:
Across the road from The Puri is a Nonya restaurant. Quite OK certainly internally it has more flavour than any other Nonya rest in Malacca
Across the road from the Baba House is a Pizza place which does a lot of other stuff. Very dingy inside but food is OK.

The 'New Bei Zhan Restaurant' inTaman Kota Laksamana is a 'modern' restaurant in a modern garish building but is quite OK we usually go there for a meal.

Actually there's many new and old coffee shops etc around the Laksamana area which are up and coming. Worth a look.

I won't expand any further because the best bit of these towns is doing your own wandering.

Mallaca is changing very fast, some say not for the better but that's how it is.
You'll just get a taste for it staying there a few nights so you'll either like it or hate it.

We love it.
Haven't been there for about a year now as been too busy with other stuff but will get up there again in November.

Finally a lot of boutique style hotels have opened recently maybe ten or so.
A big one has opened directly opposite the reno'ed fort and the place where the schooners and brigs used to dock in the river.
It's called the Casa something, haven't been in there yet but they also have a restaurant right on the river front.

Back to my unpacking.

Last edited by ex reg; Sep 27th 2011 at 6:45 am.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 6:23 am

Great stuff ex-Reg. Thanks.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 7:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Great stuff ex-Reg. Thanks.
Indeed. It seems Melaka has changed a great deal was going to say beyond recognition but perhaps not quite.
Still for someone that lived in that city for a period all places mentioned by exrex are unknown to me.(besides the streets obviously)
You'll have the chance to expand on our growing Melaka recommendations with a little investagative work at ground level soon bakedbean.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 11:21 am
Just Joined

Moonbeamzz has a reputation beyond reputeMoonbeamzz has a reputation beyond reputeMoonbeamzz has a reputation beyond reputeMoonbeamzz has a reputation beyond reputeMoonbeamzz has a reputation beyond reputeMoonbeamzz has a reputation beyond reputeMoonbeamzz has a reputation beyond reputeMoonbeamzz has a reputation beyond reputeMoonbeamzz has a reputation beyond reputeMoonbeamzz has a reputation beyond reputeMoonbeamzz has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,
Better get my aplologies up front, I am an Australian living in New South Wales but stumbled across this site and thought there was some great discussion. The wife and I are looking at spending some time in Malaysia and among other places are considering Melaka so have been reading this thread with interest. Have some previous experience with Malaysia having been based at Butterworth (Penang) with the Australian Air Force in the 70s. Was back there earlier this year and amazed at the development, it now seems incredibly busy, still a great place but might be a bit busy hence our looking at other parts of Malaysia in this case Melaka. Does anyone actually know any retired expats living in Melaka.
Cheers
Old Sep 28th 2011, 9:05 am

Hi Moonbeam and welcome to the forum

I don't know of any retirees in Melaka though I'm sure there must be plenty I would've thought. Maybe someone will pipe up on here. I'll be visiting there soon and looking forward to seeing the place. Are you thinking about retiring to Malaysia?

Slightly off topic, but take a look at this recent thread going about bars in Penang. The old RAAF bar gets some mention and a few people reminiscing.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=732680
Old Sep 30th 2011, 6:16 am
Just Joined

Moonbeamzz has a reputation beyond reputeMoonbeamzz has a reputation beyond reputeMoonbeamzz has a reputation beyond reputeMoonbeamzz has a reputation beyond reputeMoonbeamzz has a reputation beyond reputeMoonbeamzz has a reputation beyond reputeMoonbeamzz has a reputation beyond reputeMoonbeamzz has a reputation beyond reputeMoonbeamzz has a reputation beyond reputeMoonbeamzz has a reputation beyond reputeMoonbeamzz has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Bakedbean,
Thank you for the response,have been away for a couple of days. Had a look at nthe link and seem to recall the Hong Kong bar, also noticed the refrence to 'slightly bawdy' . My recollections of the time (some 37 years ago) would place 'slightly bawdy' as an understatement. Ah memories. As for retiring in Malaysia, probably just looking to spend paert of the year there at this stage.
Cheers
Mooonbeamzz
Old Sep 30th 2011, 11:43 am
Just Joined

Would certainly appreciate cooment on Melaka from people who live there or have visited recently. Have read quite a bit on various sites on aspects such as cost of living which appears quite reasonable. Qustions we have if anyone is able to answer them are:
a. Are expats, retired or working, well received.

b. Is there an expat community, whereas we don't expect or want to live a western life if we are living in Melaka, we would like to have a range of friendship groupings which include both local people and expats.

c. English is widely spoken in Penang, is it similiar in Melaka.

Regards
Moonbeamzz
Old Oct 7th 2011, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by ajw View Post
Stayed at the Puri and loved it. Fantastic ambience and location. Personally I'd rather stay in the old town as the new section seems a bit souless.
Oh boy, you hit the nail on the head. We had a "free stay" (hotel points) at the Holiday Inn and it is dead as a dodo around there. Struggled to find anywhere open for lunch (on a weekday). When we finally found somewhere, the prices were ridiculously high, and the food was touristy awful. Couldn't find anywhere interesting to walk to in the evening. Had a half-cooked meal at a Thai restaurant.... yechh. Ordered the curry spicy in Thai and they just looked blankly at us (not Thai). Wrong bit of Melaka I guess.

We drove through that Square, y'know with the red church, and it all seemed lifeless and touristy tacky. What a shame they're spoiling it.

If we ever go again, we'll head for that area around the Puri.

We had 3 nights booked but decided we'd rather be at home, so headed back for Penang early.
Old Oct 15th 2011, 5:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Oh boy, you hit the nail on the head. We had a "free stay" (hotel points) at the Holiday Inn and it is dead as a dodo around there. Struggled to find anywhere open for lunch (on a weekday). When we finally found somewhere, the prices were ridiculously high, and the food was touristy awful. Couldn't find anywhere interesting to walk to in the evening. Had a half-cooked meal at a Thai restaurant.... yechh. Ordered the curry spicy in Thai and they just looked blankly at us (not Thai). Wrong bit of Melaka I guess.

We drove through that Square, y'know with the red church, and it all seemed lifeless and touristy tacky. What a shame they're spoiling it.

If we ever go again, we'll head for that area around the Puri.

We had 3 nights booked but decided we'd rather be at home, so headed back for Penang early.
Seems you missed the main part of Melaka being what they seem to refer to today as the 'old town'.Even years back the original reclaimed section was rather stirile. Did you not check out the new riverside developments? or Jonkers Street, St Pauls Hill, Portuguese area, there used to be some great sea food resturants on the seafront heading up to Tanjong Kling,a little out of Melaka on the road to Port Dickson.
Old Oct 15th 2011, 6:34 am

Well we were just in the wrong area I think, but the square with the red church (cannot remember what it's called) was disappointing. Just looked very touristy false to me. I'm sure there's better bits..... another time.... but back to renovation here Nothing like listening to jackhammers eh?
Old Oct 15th 2011, 11:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well we were just in the wrong area I think, but the square with the red church (cannot remember what it's called) was disappointing. Just looked very touristy false to me. I'm sure there's better bits..... another time.... but back to renovation here Nothing like listening to jackhammers eh?
The square with the red buildings is known as Stadthuys. It is quiet these days. I can recall when this area was clogged up with traffic.