Reload this Page >

Stay in Malaysia for 6 months

Stay in Malaysia for 6 months

Old Aug 11th 2023, 3:21 am
Just Joined

vmj100 is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Stay in Malaysia for 6 months

Hi folks.
Im a Britsh citizen in mid 30s, been living and working in Singapore for about 4 years, but lost my job here suddenly. So I would like to use Malaysia as a temporary base, to stay there, maybe around 6 months, while look for opportunities etc. So wanted to clarify a few things, if you'd oblige

1) I am not eligible for Long Term Social Visit pass, as I am single, and have no relation to any Malaysian citizen and not going there for medical treatment, is that correct?
2) I know I have a 90 visa-free stay in Malaysia, and as I understand they don't really grant extensions of that - how easy and likely to get a repeat of that?
Ie can i just to a "visa run" to a nearby country, come back and get another 90 days?
Would that be possible without going back to UK? If so how long would i need to be out of Malaysia for?

Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 11th 2023, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

Epicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stay in Malaysia for 6 months

1. Correct

2. A few years ago this was standard procedure, but now with the rising xenophobia in Malaysia it's become a lot trickier. You can probably do a visa run once as long as you stay out of the country for a couple of weeks or more. AFAIK there's no set period, it's down to the sole discretion of the Immigration Officer that you get on the day of re-entry. If they're having a bad day they could ban you (issue a Do Not Land stamp) with no right of appeal. But since you have a G7 country passport (assuming it is a modern one with the biometric chip inside) you should be able to use the E-gates at KLIA and avoid interacting with a human being at all. I have no idea if the E-gates flag people who appear to be doing visa runs. I advise you to have a very convincing story prepared for why you need to re-enter so soon, and have evidence of an onward flight out of the country within the following 90 days (can be to anywhere, not necessarily your home country).
Old Aug 11th 2023, 9:01 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

1) Correct.
2) A tourist visa can indeed not be extended. There are no hard rules for when a visa run is accepted. I have heard people say that "if you stay out of Malaysia for at least one week they'll let you in again".

Have you looked into the MM2H or Sarawak MM2H options?
Old Aug 16th 2023, 10:26 am
BE Enthusiast

tdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond repute

A month in Thailand or similar between your two stays in Malaysia is an option. Booking monthly accommodation will get you a discounted rate on many platforms and increases your chances of not having an issue when returning to Malaysia. As others have said, have an onward ticket for each entry into Malaysia and Thailand (it's not just Immigration officials who may ask for this, airline check-in desks might deny you boarding without it).

Consider what travel / medical insurance you need and criteria (e.g. where will you be treated / repatriated to in an emergency), and check reviews (especially reviews on claim experiences not the policy buying experience).

check terms carefully to ensure you qualify (i.e. reptriation country) reviews carefully. A

Last edited by tdrinker; Aug 16th 2023 at 10:34 am.
Old Aug 21st 2023, 5:07 am
Just Joined

vmj100 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the responses guys, you've given me some food for thought
Old Aug 22nd 2023, 8:49 am
BE Enthusiast

tdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond repute

I saw this post in a different board. Nationality unknown. No replies so no indication if this is a one-off or Immigration clamping down on visa runs:

"So my friend was in Malaysia for 90 days because that's how long she gets. She left to go to TH for 5 days before coming back. While leaving Malaysia she was grilled by the immigration officer. "You stayed 90 days", "why are you here?", "who are you staying with?", "are you coming back?". This is her first tourist visa ever.Me and another friend who have been coming to Malaysia for almost 2 decades combined have never heard of someone being questioned after a single stay while leaving the country. She ended up saying she is coming back for a wedding. She was told she would need a copy of the wedding invite and the IC of the friend getting married.

Me and my other friend felt like this must have just been one asshole immigration officer proving themselves or something but I need some advice on what she should do when coming back. Is there a note on her file now that says she needs the wedding invite/IC number? would it be better for her to fly into a different port of entry on her way back? Anyone encountered something like this before?"