British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/)
-   -   Starting a new life in Kuala Lumpur (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/starting-new-life-kuala-lumpur-587302/)

TheHairyGoblet Jan 27th 2009 7:39 am

Starting a new life in Kuala Lumpur

First thing, this is my very first post, so please be gentle.

I am a 30 year old male and my partner is a 29 year old German girl. We are engaged to be married and will probably do so in Bali next year. My fiance is half Malaysian and we have a dream to live and run a guesthouse in Kuala Lumpur.

My girlfriend does not have a Malaysian passport as she was born in Germany. Now, I need as much information as possible about the possibility of starting our own business in KL.

If anybody could give me any information about getting VISA´s (please not the MM2H programme as that looks way too expensive).....can we actually get permits to live in Malaysia if we are not going to be working for a company. Effectively we will own our own company so we will be self employed.

I know that moving country is a big step, but we want to start a business in KL and begin a family out there so we would like to know the restrictions that the government will apply and basically whether or not we can do it.

My (soon to be) mother-in-law is from Kuching (she lives in Germany also), does this help us with getting VISA´s etc??!

Please excuse my ignorance, but the beginning of hopefully a new life in Malaysia.

Any information would be great as I cant find anything about owning your own company in KL online, it is all assuming you will work for a company out there.

Thanks in advance.

TheHairyGoblet Jan 27th 2009 11:45 am

Re: Starting a new life in Kuala Lumpur

Liz,

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately I am not sure we would provide you with any exciting information as this is the very first step towards moving to Kuala Lumpur and it is very much in the early stages. We are both still working our regular jobs and will not be moving out there until at least next year.

If you are looking for suitable candidates to put on a TV show then we will not make very exciting television as we are a long way off actually moving.

But perhaps you would consider me for a future season of "Britain´s Worst Teeth" or "My Child Won´t Eat"!! That is a joke by the way!

By all means, if you are still interested then just post a reply and I will contact you, but I don´t want to waste your time.

Best Regards.

James

TheHairyGoblet Jan 27th 2009 2:59 pm

Liz,

You will have to Private message me your telephone number as your post has been removed from the thread for some reason.

If you send me a private message then I will give you a call.

Regards.

James

ex reg Jan 28th 2009 1:06 am

Originally Posted by TheHairyGoblet (Post 7216610)
First thing, this is my very first post, so please be gentle.

I am a 30 year old male and my partner is a 29 year old German girl. We are engaged to be married and will probably do so in Bali next year. My fiance is half Malaysian and we have a dream to live and run a guesthouse in Kuala Lumpur.

My girlfriend does not have a Malaysian passport as she was born in Germany. Now, I need as much information as possible about the possibility of starting our own business in KL.

If anybody could give me any information about getting VISA´s (please not the MM2H programme as that looks way too expensive).....can we actually get permits to live in Malaysia if we are not going to be working for a company. Effectively we will own our own company so we will be self employed.

I know that moving country is a big step, but we want to start a business in KL and begin a family out there so we would like to know the restrictions that the government will apply and basically whether or not we can do it.

My (soon to be) mother-in-law is from Kuching (she lives in Germany also), does this help us with getting VISA´s etc??!

Please excuse my ignorance, but the beginning of hopefully a new life in Malaysia.

Any information would be great as I cant find anything about owning your own company in KL online, it is all assuming you will work for a company out there.

Thanks in advance.

I can see that you are looking for information and unfortunately I can't help you with that but wish you all the best.

What I do know is that in this current climate I think you will find things quite difficult. And as by the sound of things your experience in Guest housing is none to great then I would seriously think hard about it.

Not sure if there are any guest houses in KL, maybe backpacker hostels would be the nearest thing. My thoughts would be that generally tourists travelling to KL would be unlikely to choose a guest house and would rather pick a hotel.

The only bit of info I can give you and I hope it is correct is that you won't get a permit to work unless you have a job.

Keep your fingers crossed that others on here will give you more helpful info than me.
No point pussyfooting around with such a big decision as this.

Mitzyboy Jan 28th 2009 8:18 am

Originally Posted by Liz Dyson (Post 7217800)
Hi James,

It won't let me do it. Can you call me on ***** ******* or email me your number privately? (SNIP)

Thanks, liz

Did you read my comments on your other posts??? You can only post about this in media requests

troides Feb 20th 2009 8:19 am

I have lived and worked in Kuala lumpur. A fabulous place, in many ways better than Bangkok, and I would recommend it to anyone. I wold think that your chances of running a guest house profitably are near zero. Costs for overnight accommodation are dirt cheap there, even in 4 star hotels. Guest houses are mainly run by the Chinese community who cater to the local wandering trade at maybe 1 to 3 pounds a night (I kid you not!). Other guest houses run by ethnic Malays are only for Muslims and are run on quite strict lines. The last type are run by ethnic Tamil Indians. These are always good, but again very cheap. As to moving to start a business, it would be perfectly possible. Malaysia is a very welcoming country in every way. However, you would have to spend interminable days sitting around arranging the permits and visa at the big visa office on the edge of the city (cant remember its address but the Brit High Commission, Jalan Ampang, 50450 KL, will give it to you). Last time I was at that office (two years ago) there were people from all over Eastern Europe doing what you are thinking of trying and getting visas OK. The main thing that the Malays will want to be sure of is that you can support yourself completely while you are over there.

TheDreamer Feb 25th 2009 8:51 am

Originally Posted by troides (Post 7304167)
I have lived and worked in Kuala lumpur. A fabulous place, in many ways better than Bangkok, and I would recommend it to anyone. I wold think that your chances of running a guest house profitably are near zero. Costs for overnight accommodation are dirt cheap there, even in 4 star hotels. Guest houses are mainly run by the Chinese community who cater to the local wandering trade at maybe 1 to 3 pounds a night (I kid you not!). Other guest houses run by ethnic Malays are only for Muslims and are run on quite strict lines. The last type are run by ethnic Tamil Indians. These are always good, but again very cheap. As to moving to start a business, it would be perfectly possible. Malaysia is a very welcoming country in every way. However, you would have to spend interminable days sitting around arranging the permits and visa at the big visa office on the edge of the city (cant remember its address but the Brit High Commission, Jalan Ampang, 50450 KL, will give it to you). Last time I was at that office (two years ago) there were people from all over Eastern Europe doing what you are thinking of trying and getting visas OK. The main thing that the Malays will want to be sure of is that you can support yourself completely while you are over there.

Is it true that living in Kuala Lumpur has become unsafe recently?

Also, how much a one-bedroom furnished apartment would be to rent in a safe area per month.

Thank you in advance.

TD.

monster2000 Feb 25th 2009 1:19 pm

nice

troides Feb 25th 2009 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by TheDreamer (Post 7320937)

Also, how much a one-bedroom furnished apartment would be to rent in a safe area per month.

Thank you in advance.

TD.

Absolutely untrue. It is one of the safest cities in the world (and I have travelled most places and lived on three continents). There is virtually no crime in Malaysia as the government have an absolutely zero tolerance policy. Foreigners are greatly valued and highly respected. Also, the society is amazingly orderly. A trip on the metro system really lets us see how it should be done! Apartments are very cheap and price depends upon zone and size in square metres. They do expect foreigners to live in upmarket areas in upmarket flats!!! All areas are safe, but you may not want the open drainage ditches and so on in a very cheap zone. Apartments are extremely plush compared with most of Europe. I would reccommend Ampang as an ideal area with excellent links to the centre, lovely scenery, great, cheap restaurants (it is impossible to spend more than 2 pounds on a superb meal) and lots of tropical trees and flowers.

SvampBob Feb 25th 2009 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by troides (Post 7322405)
Absolutely untrue. It is one of the safest cities in the world (and I have travelled most places and lived on three continents). There is virtually no crime in Malaysia as the government have an absolutely zero tolerance policy. Foreigners are greatly valued and highly respected. Also, the society is amazingly orderly. A trip on the metro system really lets us see how it should be done! Apartments are very cheap and price depends upon zone and size in square metres. They do expect foreigners to live in upmarket areas in upmarket flats!!! All areas are safe, but you may not want the open drainage ditches and so on in a very cheap zone. Apartments are extremely plush compared with most of Europe. I would reccommend Ampang as an ideal area with excellent links to the centre, lovely scenery, great, cheap restaurants (it is impossible to spend more than 2 pounds on a superb meal) and lots of tropical trees and flowers.

2 pounds! You can have it for half of that. Beef Rendang lots of veggis, rice, one egg 5,35 RM!
I love Beef Rendang! :thumbsup:

troides Feb 25th 2009 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by SvampBob (Post 7322585)
2 pounds! You can have it for half of that. Beef Rendang lots of veggis, rice, one egg 5,35 RM!
I love Beef Rendang! :thumbsup:

Too true mate. I said it is impossible to spend more that 2 pounds. I didnt say you had to spend that. I like Beef Rendang also, and the ever present and ever delicious true Tandoori Chicken, and various types of prawn dishes.

ex reg Feb 26th 2009 12:35 am

Absolutely untrue. It is one of the safest cities in the world (and I have travelled most places and lived on three continents). There is virtually no crime in Malaysia as the government have an absolutely zero tolerance policy. Foreigners are greatly valued and highly respected.

We all have our own opinions and I will have to strongly disagree with you about safety and security.

Others may agree with you however.

Kooky. Feb 26th 2009 12:44 am

Originally Posted by ex reg (Post 7323621)
We all have our own opinions and I will have to strongly disagree with you about safety and security.

Others may agree with you however.

This one, however, will agree with ex-reg. "Virtually no crime in Malaysia"? Have you ever been to JB? :rofl: Crime starts with the police that pull you over for alleged speeding and demand on the spot payment, and escalates from there.

I still like KL, but let's not be naive.

TheDreamer Feb 26th 2009 12:24 pm

Wow, it sounds great - I can't wait sorting out my things and getting there asap. Many thanks for sharing your experience with us.

Davess Feb 28th 2009 8:06 am

Malaysia is a great place, i Stayed there for 5 years,I am sure you are going to like it

Geelong Gent Mar 1st 2009 5:23 am

Originally Posted by TheDreamer (Post 7320937)

Unfortunately yes it is. My sister inlaw recently got mugged in the middle of the day in busy Bangsar shopping centre. Knife to throat, attacker came from behind on a motorscooter.

Amongest her friends some have had their hands chopped off as gangsters follow them to their compounds and use rough violence to get their means.

The more the recession bites the more these occurences will occur.

Having said that we spend alot of time there - but choose at the moment to keep the young daughters at home in Australia (they would be targets for ransom due to their mixed looks).

katongkaren Mar 1st 2009 5:54 am

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent (Post 7333772)
Unfortunately yes it is. My sister inlaw recently got mugged in the middle of the day in busy Bangsar shopping centre. Knife to throat, attacker came from behind on a motorscooter.

Amongest her friends some have had their hands chopped off as gangsters follow them to their compounds and use rough violence to get their means.

The more the recession bites the more these occurences will occur.

Having said that we spend alot of time there - but choose at the moment to keep the young daughters at home in Australia (they would be targets for ransom due to their mixed looks).

That's really awful. I think you are right - as the recession bites there will be more of this, but I think it will be everywhere, not just KL.

TheDreamer Mar 2nd 2009 9:59 am

Originally Posted by Davess (Post 7331555)
Malaysia is a great place, i Stayed there for 5 years,I am sure you are going to like it

Thank you Davess, it's just I will have to overcome the fear of ending being lonely there as I am single and in my early 50's! For that reason I really love to be in really crowded cities! Is Kuala lumpur like that at all?

ice mocha Mar 2nd 2009 6:36 pm

no crime!?? are you kidding me?!??! safest city?? i dont think so!! :ohmy:

however i have to agree with the very affordable food and absolutely delicious to say the least!!

TheDreamer Mar 3rd 2009 8:22 am

Originally Posted by ice mocha (Post 7338417)
no crime!?? are you kidding me?!??! safest city?? i dont think so!! :ohmy:

however i have to agree with the very affordable food and absolutely delicious to say the least!!

Can you explain how unsafe it is in KL? Is it right as someone mentioned people's hands have been chopped off by gang members? Where does a thing like this normally occur? Can it happen anywhere? The thought of it is really chilling.

Kooky. Mar 3rd 2009 8:26 am

When I went I was warned (by somebody originally from KL) to be careful where I walked after dark, not to walk with my bag on the road side of the pavement, and not to wear my bag diagonally over my body as, if anybody on a motorbike snatched it, they would drag me down the road with them.

Another friend who lives there has a driver, as much for safety as convenience (and she's KL born and bred too).

You just have to be sensible without letting it spoil your life, but the people saying it's a safe place are doing you no favours whatsoever. It's rubbish.

TheDreamer Mar 3rd 2009 8:37 am

Originally Posted by Seasider (Post 7340186)
When I went I was warned (by somebody originally from KL) to be careful where I walked after dark, not to walk with my bag on the road side of the pavement, and not to wear my bag diagonally over my body as, if anybody on a motorbike snatched it, they would drag me down the road with them.

Another friend who lives there has a driver, as much for safety as convenience (and she's KL born and bred too).

You just have to be sensible without letting it spoil your life, but the people saying it's a safe place are doing you no favours whatsoever. It's rubbish.

I really love walking on the main roads where there are big crowds and lots of shops - funny enough I can only relax where there are lots of other people about and there are car sounds etc. So would there be any dangers walking on the roads on my own for long periods of time?

Kooky. Mar 3rd 2009 8:48 am

I haven't lived there so will have to leave it to others to advise you, but I do know that we got lost one night looking for a certain restaurant, ended up in a very dark area, and felt a little bit apprehensive.

Where are you from? How would you behave in London, for example? Inner city Leeds? The latter is my old home and I wouldn't go to some areas in daylight, nevermind after dark :lol: but you just have to know where those areas are.

Do you mind me asking why you want to move to KL? I'd move there but only if it was a great opportunity, i.e., with my husband's job. Wouldn't want to retire there - not to KL itself and I'm not sure about the rest of Msia either. In some ways it is becoming more and more extreme and as a woman that's not attractive to me.

I know what you mean about liking the city buzz - we were in Singapore for 6 years until ten months ago. Now we're in Sydney and not far from the city (just over the harbour bridge) but we can escape the buzz sometimes too, which is nice.

ice mocha Mar 3rd 2009 9:43 am

Originally Posted by TheDreamer (Post 7340175)
Can you explain how unsafe it is in KL? Is it right as someone mentioned people's hands have been chopped off by gang members? Where does a thing like this normally occur? Can it happen anywhere? The thought of it is really chilling.

i don't and never lived in KL, but my family does. and it is very unsafe. you have to watch your bags, even more than if you're in London (as an example)

i would say crimes such as bag snatching, etc are probably higher there than in England

re hands chopped off, i cannot comment, not read, not heard, not sure how true

oh, also... when i was in my cousin's car, few years back, first thing he did before even driving off was locking all the doors! as you get people attacking you at traffic lights.. by opening your door and demanding for all sorts.. i was quite shocked back then!!

just a little something to think about...

all i can say is, as long as you're aware of your surrounding, and be vigilant, you should be fine

have fun :) it IS a beautiful country!!! and YUMMYLICIOUS foodddddd!!!

TheDreamer Mar 4th 2009 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by ice mocha (Post 7340402)
i don't and never lived in KL, but my family does. and it is very unsafe. you have to watch your bags, even more than if you're in London (as an example)

i would say crimes such as bag snatching, etc are probably higher there than in England

re hands chopped off, i cannot comment, not read, not heard, not sure how true

oh, also... when i was in my cousin's car, few years back, first thing he did before even driving off was locking all the doors! as you get people attacking you at traffic lights.. by opening your door and demanding for all sorts.. i was quite shocked back then!!

just a little something to think about...

all i can say is, as long as you're aware of your surrounding, and be vigilant, you should be fine

have fun :) it IS a beautiful country!!! and YUMMYLICIOUS foodddddd!!!

It seems I will have to give Malaysia a miss as I thrive on going for long walks and by the sounds of it that's not going to be a wise thing to do because of the lack of safety there :(

katongkaren Mar 5th 2009 7:44 am

Going for long walks in the Tropics is not a lot of fun, believe you me (crime or no crime). We started doing this when we first moved to Singapore and it was a complete change of clothing after every walk. You soon get fed up with that.

TheDreamer Mar 5th 2009 8:47 am

Originally Posted by katongkaren (Post 7347253)
Going for long walks in the Tropics is not a lot of fun, believe you me (crime or no crime). We started doing this when we first moved to Singapore and it was a complete change of clothing after every walk. You soon get fed up with that.

Is it not even after the sunset?

Kooky. Mar 5th 2009 8:55 am

It often doesn't get much cooler after sunset, Dreamer - in fact it can feel more humid and muggy, and that's what wears you down.

ice mocha Mar 5th 2009 5:41 pm

walks!?!? :p shall i just say... walking is the last thing on any Malaysian's list!!! we don't walk anywhere.... we get in the car, air-cond full blast, get to destination, park, get out of car straight into another air-conditioned room!

its too hot & humid a place to walk anywhere!! trust me!!

the only place i actually remember taking "voluntary" walks... is by the beach, at beach resorts :sneaky:

runlikethe Mar 6th 2009 9:50 am

Originally Posted by TheDreamer (Post 7345929)
It seems I will have to give Malaysia a miss as I thrive on going for long walks and by the sounds of it that's not going to be a wise thing to do because of the lack of safety there :(

I would suggest you visit Malaysia and all the other places you are considering a move to before making your decision. I am extremely sceptical of some of the views espoused here by those who have never ever lived in Malaysia but feel they have the authority to speak about the place, especially those who live/used to live in Singapore. This is for two reasons:

1) Singapore is probably the safest place to live on this planet. That skews ones perception of safety elsewhere, making him less street-smart when in a different environment. Even pizzas getting stolen from a delivery bike makes the evening news in Singapore, so that ought to give you some idea of the level of safety there. Furthermore Singapore expats think JB (the Malaysian border town right across the causeway, which is a bit of a dive, although a massive regeneration project is underway in Iskandar) is Malaysia and Malaysia is JB, and are consequently put off the whole country.

2) Due to the shared history and the sometimes prickly diplomatic ties between them, the Singaporean media is famously anti-Malaysian, and to be fair the reverse could probably be said for the Malaysian media. As much as the expats like to think they are completely immune to the propaganda, you will find many of them parrotting the cliches one would expect from a brainwashed local. As such, you should take their views with a shovelful of salt.

I have never felt any more unsafe in Malaysia than in the UK or the rest of Europe. I would not go as far as saying its the safest country in the world. Yes there has been a spate of bag-snatching cases, and their share of crime which also exist in almost any other country, but it is important to maintain a sense of proportion and realise that the country is otherwise a largely safe, stable and civilised place.

I have never heard of anyone getting their hands chopped off by gangsters. As usual, these stories you hear happen to someone who knows someone who knows someone. It's up to you to believe it or not.

http://www.weforum.org/en/initiative...ghts/index.htm
Curiously Malaysia ranks quite a way ahead of the more popular Thailand?

Naturally Malaysia may not appeal to everyone, and indeed I know many expats who prefer Thailand to Malaysia, but never have I heard them cite safety and security as a factor for moving. In fact many of them bemoan the fact that Malaysia less exciting because it is more orderly and civilised and lack the "sanuuk" spirit of the Land of Smiles.

TheDreamer Mar 6th 2009 9:56 am

Originally Posted by ice mocha (Post 7348726)
walks!?!? :p shall i just say... walking is the last thing on any Malaysian's list!!! we don't walk anywhere.... we get in the car, air-cond full blast, get to destination, park, get out of car straight into another air-conditioned room!

its too hot & humid a place to walk anywhere!! trust me!!

the only place i actually remember taking "voluntary" walks... is by the beach, at beach resorts :sneaky:

Oh dear in that case Malaysia sounds like hell to me :ohmy: I am not a beach guy - I get really panicy when I am away from the city buzz :huh: Even London wasn't buzzy enough for me :thumbdown: So it seems there's not many places in the world which may be suitable for those of us who would prefer to stay single and just take long long walks to relax and enjoy the surroundings :thumbdown:

Thank you to others for your valuable input :thumbup:

Kooky. Mar 6th 2009 10:02 am

Wooh, so many sweeping statements about brainwashed expats. One could be forgiven for suspecting you have an axe to grind. :lol:

If I believed the local propaganda rags I would think there was no crime whatsoever in Singapore. Having worked with an ex-gangster, ex-con, junkie, been trained in counselling addicts, and mentored troubled teens, as well as living in the red light district for four years, I can assure you I am far from naive.

Not all of us live in a good-class bungalow in Bukit Timah and spend all our days at the British or American Club, darling.

TheDreamer Mar 6th 2009 10:08 am

Originally Posted by runlikethe (Post 7350992)
I would suggest you visit Malaysia and all the other places you are considering a move to before making your decision. I am extremely sceptical of some of the views espoused here by those who have never ever lived in Malaysia but feel they have the authority to speak about the place, especially those who live/used to live in Singapore. This is for two reasons:

1) Singapore is probably the safest place to live on this planet. That skews ones perception of safety elsewhere, making him less street-smart when in a different environment. Even pizzas getting stolen from a delivery bike makes the evening news in Singapore, so that ought to give you some idea of the level of safety there. Furthermore Singapore expats think JB (the Malaysian border town right across the causeway, which is a bit of a dive, although a massive regeneration project is underway in Iskandar) is Malaysia and Malaysia is JB, and are consequently put off the whole country.

2) Due to the shared history and the sometimes prickly diplomatic ties between them, the Singaporean media is famously anti-Malaysian, and to be fair the reverse could probably be said for the Malaysian media. As much as the expats like to think they are completely immune to the propaganda, you will find many of them parrotting the cliches one would expect from a brainwashed local. As such, you should take their views with a shovelful of salt.

I have never felt any more unsafe in Malaysia than in the UK or the rest of Europe. I would not go as far as saying its the safest country in the world. Yes there has been a spate of bag-snatching cases, and their share of crime which also exist in almost any other country, but it is important to maintain a sense of proportion and realise that the country is otherwise a largely safe, stable and civilised place.

I have never heard of anyone getting their hands chopped off by gangsters. As usual, these stories you hear happen to someone who knows someone who knows someone. It's up to you to believe it or not.

http://www.weforum.org/en/initiative...ghts/index.htm
Curiously Malaysia ranks quite a way ahead of the more popular Thailand?

Naturally Malaysia may not appeal to everyone, and indeed I know many expats who prefer Thailand to Malaysia, but never have I heard them cite safety and security as a factor for moving. In fact many of them bemoan the fact that Malaysia less exciting because it is more orderly and civilised and lack the "sanuuk" spirit of the Land of Smiles.

Very good post, thank you. :thumbup:

ex reg Mar 7th 2009 3:10 am

Originally Posted by TheDreamer (Post 7351053)
Very good post, thank you. :thumbup:

A good post because it is 'unbiased' and agrees with your viewpoint?

Both sides of the coin have been put forward in this thread.

Up to people now to make up their own minds.

Finally I don't believe the hand chopping stuff.

But if considering a move to Malaysia then seriously consider the security aspects.

Geelong Gent Mar 7th 2009 4:24 am

Originally Posted by ex reg (Post 7353269)
A good post because it is 'unbiased' and agrees with your viewpoint?

Both sides of the coin have been put forward in this thread.

Up to people now to make up their own minds.

Finally I don't believe the hand chopping stuff.

But if considering a move to Malaysia then seriously consider the security aspects.

Handchopping comes from my uncle (current serving police officer in KL). Ex pat (Hong Kong banker) was followed over a week and was attacked at ATM in Bangsar shopping centre (also where the lady was abducted and hacked to death in 2004).

lee.walker1 Mar 7th 2009 6:37 am

When i lived in KL last year i was aware of the crime aspect but all the stories i heard were of INCIDENTS happening to women as they are an easier target. Saying that my friend was in a major petrol station last week in KL when he was mugged on the forecourt where they snatched his laptop jumped on a bike and they were off.Dont be put off by KL these horror stories happen everywhere in the world and you would never travel anywhere if you listened to them all.The food is amazing.

Geelong Gent Mar 7th 2009 8:51 am

Originally Posted by lee.walker1 (Post 7353526)
When i lived in KL last year i was aware of the crime aspect but all the stories i heard were of INCIDENTS happening to women as they are an easier target. Saying that my friend was in a major petrol station last week in KL when he was mugged on the forecourt where they snatched his laptop jumped on a bike and they were off.Dont be put off by KL these horror stories happen everywhere in the world and you would never travel anywhere if you listened to them all.The food is amazing.

Not saying be put off coming - just do not believe its completely crime free and live in La La land as an earlier poster suggested.

Crime is becoming more frequent and more violent, especially in the coming times of global recession.

Plan accordingly and enjoy Malaysia - the food is fantastic (even better when you have hands to eat with:))

katongkaren Mar 7th 2009 8:57 am

Malaysia orderly and civilized :eek::eek::eek::eek:

runlikethe Mar 7th 2009 11:27 am

Originally Posted by katongkaren (Post 7353810)
Malaysia orderly and civilized :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Compared to Thailand, by a mile.

katongkaren Mar 8th 2009 4:33 am

Originally Posted by runlikethe (Post 7354134)
Compared to Thailand, by a mile.

Oh - touche! Though I would say it's more even-stevens. Some things more orderly/civilized in Malaysia, some other things more so in Thailand (though I can only speak for Phuket).

Anyway.... back to the topic - Starting a new life in KL. The link to the World Economic Forum - Travel and Tourism Competitiveness ratings, whilst it is interesting, I'm not sure that gives a good indication of living in KL. I would have thought first-hand information from someone who is living there, like Geelong Gent, is more relevant.

BTW if you think I'm a Thailand resident having a pop at Malaysia, I'm not. There's some great places to visit in Malaysia and I actually prefer Malay food to Thai food (though it's a close call admittedly), but the orderly and civilized comment gave me the best laugh I've had all week.