Some questions about KL

Old May 12th 2012, 9:35 am
ajw

Location: Melbourne - London - Bangkok - Melbourne - Kuala Lumpur - Melbourne
ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Some questions about KL

I believe 'mingles' is the term used...
Old May 12th 2012, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

Nemodot is just really niceNemodot is just really niceNemodot is just really niceNemodot is just really niceNemodot is just really niceNemodot is just really niceNemodot is just really niceNemodot is just really nice

Originally Posted by bakedbean
I'm puzzling over what an expat event is. It's not the "Mingles" is it?
What that meat market! Yes and others. I don't frequent these days
Old May 13th 2012, 8:00 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hehehe I don't subscribe to that rag but occasionally see a few copies lying around at various places (hospitals strangely enough) and the "mingle" pics just make me laugh. And people have to actually pay to go along to these?
Old Jul 11th 2012, 7:58 am
Just Joined

Peep is an unknown quantity at this point

'The Mingles' I love it, reminds me of The Mumbles in Wales where I had a bad experience with a horse - long story!

Ena, if you're after Expats (any particular kind?) just head to Bangsar. I'm staying near Bangsar Shopping Centre which is overflowing with expats - if that's your thing.

I can understand why expats want to hang around with each other but what about local friends? Might help to get used to the customs/language/best places to go etc

I was speaking to a guy who was promoting the Expat magazine and trying to get me to go to one of the mingles, Bakedbean, you said it was a meat market? How so?

Incidentally I saw an advert the other day that made my skin crawl "White Women's Get Together".
Old Jul 11th 2012, 9:21 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Nope, not me...it was Nemodot (see above).

Coincidentally, some of us retirees in Penang had one of our "Makan evenings" last night. 22 of us turned up at a local foodcourt. Mode of dress: t-shirts and shorts. Admission fee: nuffink. Great time.

You see... you don't have to shell out lots of dosh, and get dressed up to the nines, and pose for photos, to have some fun, some good chit-chat, and some great Malaysian food
Old Jul 11th 2012, 9:36 am
ajw

ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute

"White Women's Get Together".[/QUOTE]

Very surprised by this. Where did you see it?
Old Jul 11th 2012, 9:38 am
ajw

You see... you don't have to shell out lots of dosh, and get dressed up to the nines, and pose for photos, to have some fun, some good chit-chat, and some great Malaysian food [/QUOTE]

Normally they can be found at second rate Western restaurants instead. Give me Malaysian or Chinese hawker food any day.
Old Jul 11th 2012, 9:43 am

Hawker food...absolutely
Old Jul 11th 2012, 8:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond repute

Great turnout Bakedbean!

"White Women's Get Together" - OMG!! When I set up our Meetup group in Singapore I made it very welcoming to everyone. I never wanted it to be an expat only affair - although I have noticed that most of the local members only attend when it's a local lady who's hosting.

Not much I can do - I always emphasise that the meet ups are open to everyone but I can't force people to come! I love when we have a great mixture of people at events though.
Old Jul 11th 2012, 11:25 pm
ajw

I also go to very mixed gatherings here, and all the other expat mums I know do the same, which is why I am quite taken aback by the 'existence' of a white womens get together.