Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

So... who ended up retiring in Malaysia?

So... who ended up retiring in Malaysia?

Old May 9th 2011, 2:05 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So... who ended up retiring in Malaysia?

Sorry Vellavez but I think you are talking about the East side of mainland Malaysia, aren't you? Penang is now in the Wet season. South West monsoon started this month. Pleased to say that we don't seem to get the incessant 4 day bursts of rain that we used to get in Phuket Thailand, just up the road. But you do get some quite hefty downpours at this time of year.

Love2Penang, Mitzyboy already explained to you that it's not wise to put your email on open forum. Please take his advice. There's a PM feature on here for your use.

For the record, I don't give out my phone number to strangers. If you want to ask something, do it on the forum so everyone can benefit. It makes more sense.
Old May 9th 2011, 10:29 am
Just Joined

vellazev is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bakedbean View Post
Sorry Vellavez but I think you are talking about the East side of mainland Malaysia, aren't you? Penang is now in the Wet season. South West monsoon started this month. Pleased to say that we don't seem to get the incessant 4 day bursts of rain that we used to get in Phuket Thailand, just up the road. But you do get some quite hefty downpours at this time of year.

Love2Penang, Mitzyboy already explained to you that it's not wise to put your email on open forum. Please take his advice. There's a PM feature on here for your use.

For the record, I don't give out my phone number to strangers. If you want to ask something, do it on the forum so everyone can benefit. It makes more sense.
Hi Bakedbean and all,

Penang Island enjoys a warm equatorial climate just like any other parts of Malaysia. However, being an island, its temperature is often higher than the mainland, with temperatures reaching as high as 35°C during the day. In general, temperatures range between 29°C - 35 during the day and 26°C - 29°C during the night, with the months June to August being the hottest.

Visitors to Penang can expect sunshine throughout most of the days, but with rainfalls in the evenings during periods of monsoon winds. The wettest periods are from April to May and from October to November.

Whilst there can really be occasional heavy rain showers at any time of the year on Penang, rainy weather is at its most likely during April and May, and again during the months of late August, September and October.

For more interesting events , places to visit, accommodation you can visit this link: http://www.visitpenang.gov.my

For 2011 events in Penang, you can find it here: http://www.visitpenang.gov.my/downlo...ts_2010-11.pdf

For more information, you can find me here in BE.

Thanks bakedbean for your advise, I will not as well giving out phone number to strangers.
Old May 12th 2011, 5:17 am
BE Enthusiast

leavinggoa is a jewel in the roughleavinggoa is a jewel in the roughleavinggoa is a jewel in the roughleavinggoa is a jewel in the roughleavinggoa is a jewel in the rough

Hi BB, I'm visiting KL and Penang soon. Can you give me an idea on current prices. Eats,drinks and getting around etc? Cheers
Old May 12th 2011, 6:12 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Difficult one - you can pay what you like for Eats. Foodcourts I guess are the cheapest places. The one I go to regularly in Penang you can get a main dish for around RM 3 to 5 eg char kway teow, Penang laksa. Beer in the foodcourts... mmm... Mr bakedbean usually pays I'll check. I think it's around RM 12. Maybe someone else on here can chip in. Vellazev??

You can get glasses of wine in some eateries but it's a little expensive at RM 11 to 15 a glass.

Eating out. All sorts of options and prices really. If you go to the new Straits Quay, there are a number of glitzy options with glitzy prices to match.

Getting about. Well I drive so cannot help you there. I know a lot of folks zip about on the buses here. Take a look at http://www.rapidpg.com.my/ I am told that there is a very good App for rapidpenang if you own a iPhone.
Old May 12th 2011, 7:11 am
BE Enthusiast

leavinggoa is a jewel in the roughleavinggoa is a jewel in the roughleavinggoa is a jewel in the roughleavinggoa is a jewel in the roughleavinggoa is a jewel in the rough

Ok, thanks. Not interested in glitzy. Did that on someone else's money. Just need decent food, including roast duck, pork and a beer.
Old May 12th 2011, 8:46 am

Mr bakedbean has confirmed RM 12 for large bottle of Anchor beer in foodcourt

Noted that you've posted this under Retiring in Malaysia. Are you thinking about it?

If you want to do the tourist bit, definitely check out Georgetown and have a wander about. You can find tons of info on the web about Georgetown and there are loads n loads n loads of Penang food blogs - just google. Downside of Georgetown is the traffic. They really need to do something.
Old May 12th 2011, 10:24 am
BE Enthusiast

I've been in Goa for 7 years and they started playing around with visas a few years ago. A lot of people have left here, mainly for Thailand. I've got a few ties and "own" a flat here, or not as the case maybe, the Govt (ha ha) haven't decided yet. I've got to get out for 2 months on the visa rules. Having a month KL and Penang, 3 weeks+ Sri Lanka, 3 weeks home (UK). I can live comfortably here on my dosh but I can't stretch to the MM2H job. Cheers
Old May 12th 2011, 12:49 pm

Yes they do muck about with the mm2h requirements. Thailand is a good backup if you can find somewhere you like. It's a fairly easy retirement visa. You might also want to check out philippines section, but digressing a bit. Anyway enjoy your hols here.
Old May 12th 2011, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

If I'd sold everything when I first saw the MM2H, I probably could've put enough money together. Anyway, no worry now.
I'm looking forward to the food.
Old May 22nd 2011, 6:52 pm
Just Joined

Love2Penang is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bakedbean View Post
Hi and welcome to BE. I'm not sure why you want to email me or call me. I don't know you.

If you've got some things to discuss about Penang, why don't you start a new thread on here and fire away? Let's all discuss, uh?
Hi Bakedbean

Thanks for your post. I respect your wishes for not giving your phone number and my aplogies for asking. I just wanted to speak to someone who has retired in Penang. I have received e-mails from some wonderfull people and I appreciate their advice. Just one quick question if I get a blackberry from Canada would that work in Malaysia? If I have to get one from Malaysia which is the quickest and cheapest way to get one. I am going to be in Malaysia for only two weeks. Any suggestions? Anyone?
Old May 23rd 2011, 9:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Atilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really nice

I suppose it will depend on whether you want just the device or a 'plan' too. AFAIK Blackberries are not region/sim locked. Try:

Digi: http://www.digi.com.my/internet/smar..._bold9780.html

Maxis: http://www.maxis.com.my/personal/bla...br_devices.asp