Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

So... who ended up retiring in Malaysia?

So... who ended up retiring in Malaysia?

Old Jan 2nd 2011, 7:20 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default So... who ended up retiring in Malaysia?

Just looking back at some older threads and so many considering Malaysia over the years. Just wondered who actually ended up retiring here?
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 2:35 am
BE Enthusiast

columbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So... who ended up retiring in Malaysia?

Never planned it before but by chance
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 8:40 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hey someone else on here from Penang. I wonder if we know each other. How long have you been living here Columbine? Any regrets?
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 10:17 am
BE Enthusiast

columbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond repute

Do we hehe...... 6 years
Old Jan 4th 2011, 6:07 am

Mmmm... very mysterious 6 years is quite a long time so I guess you made the right choice. We are here 5 months today - a long way to go yet, but still enjoying it so far.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 6:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes, love it here especially on the island. I guess the right synergies make the stay here really pleasant
Welcome to P. Pinang....it'll grow on you!

Last edited by columbine; Jan 4th 2011 at 6:32 am.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 8:44 am

Cheers Columbine... and welcome to BE
Old Jan 9th 2011, 2:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Strider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud of

Worked here 15 years in the 70's and 80's and married here. Then returned 3 years ago as a retiree, to help my wife's family....and decided to stay...and a happy decision.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Strider24
Worked here 15 years in the 70's and 80's and married here. Then returned 3 years ago as a retiree, to help my wife's family....and decided to stay...and a happy decision.
Penang has moved to the top of our list. Had a brief stay in Jan/10 and hope to do some more fact finding in May this year to make sure it is the right decision. Possibly share it with Tianjin, China where my wife hails from!
Old Jan 11th 2011, 1:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Strider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud of

Tianjin in summer and Penang in winter...sounds like a plan.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 1:52 am

Not been to Tianjin, but can confirm that Penang is a real nice place and lovely people here
Old Jan 12th 2011, 12:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Not been to Tianjin, but can confirm that Penang is a real nice place and lovely people here
I like Tianjin, or at least the area we live in. However it is rather cool in the winter and after 33 years in the middle east I have become more of a hot weather person even though I am a Falkland Islander!
Old Jan 12th 2011, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Strewth after the wind and cold of the Southern Atlantic, even Tianjin would be warm..but still way too cold for this little Eskimo in winter

Just got used to the hot wet one season and hotter and wetter the other I guess

My only time in Tianjin, the air had a strong sulphur type smell, which at the time I put down to the Tangshan earthquake about a year earlier...but may have been from dirty coal burning. Was not allowed to go explore in those days
Old Jan 13th 2011, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Strider24
Strewth after the wind and cold of the Southern Atlantic, even Tianjin would be warm..but still way too cold for this little Eskimo in winter

Just got used to the hot wet one season and hotter and wetter the other I guess

My only time in Tianjin, the air had a strong sulphur type smell, which at the time I put down to the Tangshan earthquake about a year earlier...but may have been from dirty coal burning. Was not allowed to go explore in those days
I visited Tangshan about two years ago, briefly. They have done wonderful job rebuilding the place, as it certainly took a big hit! A very nice memorial in the centre of the city.

I have only been going to Tianjin for about 8 years but for sure the air quality has improved, and when we were there last September we had endless "blue" sky days, everywhere. Shanghai, Tianjin, Beijing and Harbin! Hope it continues!

As for the Falklands, well I left in 1972 and have only been back twice briefly. However it is top of my list, of things to do when I retire! Hope to spend a couple of months there in the southern summer, and take in the sights, like the wildlife.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

redbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant future

Raised in Penang but currently reside in Oz. Hope to semi retire in Penang when Mr redbean decides to retire from the workforce. Semi, because we have family responsibilities ie an only daughter, three dogs, three birds and family members in Oz.

So, it looks like regular visits to Penang for awhile ie 3 months, here and three months back in Oz.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.