Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Smoked Haddock, Kedgeree, and Fish Names in Malaysia

Smoked Haddock, Kedgeree, and Fish Names in Malaysia

Old Oct 30th 2015, 9:57 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Smoked Haddock, Kedgeree, and Fish Names in Malaysia

A friend newly arrived in Penang has asked me “Can I buy smoked haddock here”?

As a result I now have a new craving. Kedgeree. Remember kedgeree? Yummy. It used to be a common Eurasian dish, but I’ve not seen it here. It's lucky my Norwegian Blue cravings are almost sated.

So the search is on for smoked haddock. Anyone know a source in Penang? Or know a good substitute?

This week I was at the ‘Jala’ – an excellent fish restaurant at Datai Bay in Langkawi. Food, service, vibe – all terrific. Loved it. So much so that we went back the following night. Here’s a tip – get 35% off the food bill with an HSBC Premier credit card until July 2016. You’ll find Jala at the Andaman hotel, next to the beach. Many thanks to fambam1970 for the recommendation.

I still have a tin box fish smoker from my fly-fishing days so whilst at the Jala I asked the Head Chef to recommend Malaysian saltwater fish I could try hot-smoking as an alternative to haddock.

He recommended Red Snapper, Sea Bass, Mackerel and Mullet. Any cooks here? Any comments?

The next step is to buy some fish to test. This led me to a very handy guide to local fish names in English, Malay, Hokkien and Cantonese, together with photos, on Penang's ‘No Eyed Deer’ restaurant website. Excellent – thanks NED.

See: Fish Species Identification Guide in Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, Indonesia, etc.

JC3

Last edited by JC3; Oct 30th 2015 at 10:05 am.
Old Oct 30th 2015, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

meinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Smoked Haddock, Kedgeree, and Fish Names in Malaysia

"Lovely plumage; the Norwegian Blue...."

Have you tried getting Barramundi - they dont seem to use it much here so cheaper than Grouper.
A Brown or Orange Grouper might smoke well... nice white cod like flesh.
I have never seen smoked fish on sale here, so if you are succesful then open a stall!!!
Old Oct 30th 2015, 12:49 pm
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meinkl
"Lovely plumage; the Norwegian Blue...."

Have you tried getting Barramundi - they dont seem to use it much here so cheaper than Grouper.
A Brown or Orange Grouper might smoke well... nice white cod like flesh.
I have never seen smoked fish on sale here, so if you are succesful then open a stall!!!
Hi meinkl,

Thanks for the tips. I've got Barramundi marked down as 'Asian' Sea Bass so will certainly look out for it - and the Grouper.

JC3
Old Oct 30th 2015, 2:09 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Yeh, smoked haddock....bring it on.

For some time, until about a year ago, you could get packs of smoked haddock in Tesco for RM 29 or thereabouts. It was loverly. They hid it from time to time, then it totally disappeared. I thought I had cracked it with Tesco home delivery as it was on the list but, no, they substituted something appalling. So, it's gone.

Strangely, a friend mentioned smoked haddock the other day and she was going to check at Straits Mini market though I think it may be in vain . I'll check with her and report back.

Another on the Wish List....for me anyway. Trout
Old Oct 30th 2015, 2:13 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Just very slightly deviating off topic, but Sam's at Straits Quay has some interesting fish and seafood sometimes. I got some quite nice tuna in their freezer section recently. Also have what is described as LaLa meat. It's kind of a nice clam meat. Great in chowders with a few prawns.
Old Oct 30th 2015, 3:07 pm
KK Resident - Retired

Hovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of light

I have searched long and hard for these in Japan but had to resort to smoked salmon, which I think was the original ingredient. I have seen there is a online store which will deliver Arbroath Smokies overseas from UK but I have not ordered them yet as they may not pass customs. I ordered some chilli seeds from USA and they never arrived.
Arbroath Smokie Smokies Hot Smoked Salmon Trout
Old Oct 31st 2015, 1:42 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

I once worked with an Australian who was also a fisherman.
He always said that Baramundi was the best fighting fish to catch and best eating fish.
Well me and the missus aren't keen on it and don't eat it anymore.
And consequently we don't eat Sea Bass in the UK although shape of the sea bass in the UK is very different from the asian sea bass (baramundi )

Anyway we were in Lisbon a few months ago and in a sea food restaurant.
The waiter there recommended the Sea bass but we demurred.
We explained that we didn't like the sea bass in Asia and would rather the sea bream, dorada ( which was fabulous ) and the waiter de-boned it for me at the table.

We got into chatting to the waiter and he said that the two sea basses were totally different the asian one living in warm water and the european one living in cold water which gives it a totally different taste because of what the fish eat.
It was our last night in Lisbon so couldn't return to the restaurant and try it out.

But next time we're in UK we'll go for the sea bass.

Anyway back to the thread on smoking fish.
Old Oct 31st 2015, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

meinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond repute

If you want a really creamy chunky white meat have you tried Monkfish tail? Texture is like the old north atlantic Cod. Great baked wrapped in foil.
If you want cold water fish then best to get the New Zealand imports.
Old Oct 31st 2015, 8:29 am

Monkfish Wow, didn't know Monkfish was available here. Where can you get it from?
Old Oct 31st 2015, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

I get mine from a wholesale place in KL that imports salmon etc, but sure there must be somewhere in Penang. Ask at the Fish&Chips place next to Healy Macs where they get theirs.
Old Oct 31st 2015, 9:14 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meinkl
I get mine from a wholesale place in KL that imports salmon etc, but sure there must be somewhere in Penang. Ask at the Fish&Chips place next to Healy Macs where they get theirs.
Fish and chips shops in the UK used to cut up monkfish tails to make their "scampi" as it has a similar texture. Never seen monkfish at Uncle Albert's though.
Old Oct 31st 2015, 9:18 am

I'm looking at the Uncle Albert's main dishes here:
Uncle Albert's Traditional English Fish and Chips

I can only see cod, haddock, and halibut. I think you're pulling my leg.
Old Nov 1st 2015, 1:26 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

Originally Posted by bakedbean
...Sam's at Straits Quay has some interesting fish and seafood sometimes. .
Thanks for the tip BB. I bought some Barramundi (Sea Bass) (Ikan Siakap)there yesterday from their Catch of the Day counter. It was on offer at RM11 per fish. Each one about 400g.

Hot-smoked it this morning (see photos), and looking forward to my first ‘Barrundi kedgeree’ tonight. Cook’s privilege suggests it’ll be different, but good!

JC3
Attached Thumbnails Smoked Haddock,  Kedgeree,  and Fish Names in Malaysia-barramundi-before.jpg   Smoked Haddock,  Kedgeree,  and Fish Names in Malaysia-barramundi-smoked.jpg  
Old Nov 1st 2015, 2:28 am

I'm just drooling over that second picture.
Old Nov 1st 2015, 4:31 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

I like the matches and lighter fluid in the first pic!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.