Should I move to KL

Old Jan 23rd 2011, 12:51 pm
Just Joined

dubaidickie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Should I move to KL

I currently live in Dubai, but just been offered a position in KL - Should I jack it all in and move east? Slightly more money, but whats the income tax situation and cost of living? PLEASE HELP with this tough decision!!
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should I move to KL

Very different places for shewer.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 3:09 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Dickie. Try wading through the threads on the Malaysia sub-forum or do a search (top right hand corner). There's a fair few threads on the subject of KL and working there. I guess it is tax-free where you are?? so I suppose paying tax will come as a bit of a bummer.

Have you been to KL? been to Malaysia? Do you like it there?

Hopefully some KL residents will post on here soon and enlighten.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 5:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Strider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud of

Hi Dickie,

Its not as hot as Dubai, cheaper food, better variety and very varied. KL is another big city, but some of the 'burbs are almost village like and can be fun. Housing can be a bit high if you want the high life (like anywhere), but can be affordable. If you stay a while, think about buying. I came for a 2 year contract in 1975 and finally left in 1988 having bought a house, saved on rent and got the capital gain (tax free is owned more than 5 years) In Selangor you have to buy at a min of RM250k (same as Penang, but RM500k elsewhere) Typically a nice unit or semi D in a reasonable area will be around RM4-600k.

Also check out what is included in the package offer. May get free medical or other perks.
Old Jan 29th 2011, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Atilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really nice

I'm going there for a look soon. Having worked in Abu Dhabi for nearly 3 years I came to the conclusion that only the salary was tax free. Everything else, save petrol and tat, I found to be exorbitant and/or poor quality. Vast majority of things I could buy in the UK for 2/3 or even half the price the UAE charges. Was glad to get out of the place to be honest.
Old Feb 11th 2011, 5:29 am
Banned

stranded traveller is just really nicestranded traveller is just really nicestranded traveller is just really nicestranded traveller is just really nicestranded traveller is just really nicestranded traveller is just really nicestranded traveller is just really nicestranded traveller is just really nicestranded traveller is just really nice

Originally Posted by Atilla
I'm going there for a look soon. Having worked in Abu Dhabi for nearly 3 years I came to the conclusion that only the salary was tax free. Everything else, save petrol and tat, I found to be exorbitant and/or poor quality. Vast majority of things I could buy in the UK for 2/3 or even half the price the UAE charges. Was glad to get out of the place to be honest.
Welcome to Malaysia,majority peoples live in Malaysia quiet flexible,for expat tax would take max 28% and for local 18%, if am not wrong.