SHORT TERM VISIT

Old Jan 8th 2019, 12:16 pm
Just Joined

dnorton94 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SHORT TERM VISIT

Hello Everybody,

I'm in my early twenties and want to spend the next couple years travelling while I build businesses online. I have my undergraduate degree and enrolled in my graduate courses online. I spent the last 6 years in the US and want to travel Asia a couple months at a time in each destination. I've been fortunate to have good jobs over the last couple years and low expenses so I have saved money.

I would like Malaysia to be my first stop. What do I have to take into consideration? Are there any recommendation locations? Do I have to get any vaccinations? What do I have to take into consideration?

DN
Old Jan 8th 2019, 12:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SHORT TERM VISIT

Hi, welcome to BE.

I'm rather jealous, sounds like a lovely way of life! Obviously most countries you'll need a visa for, and not all will allow you to work whilst on that visa (unless it's a work permit), I'll let those in the know advise you on the legalities of what you can and can't do in Malaysia.

But just wanted to ask if you have your US citizenship? If not, and you only have a 'green card', it may be worth applying for citizenship before you leave so that you don't lose that status and can return if you wish.

Best of luck and have fun.
Old Jan 8th 2019, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

InFlagranteDelicto is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi, welcome to BE.

But just wanted to ask if you have your US citizenship? If not, and you only have a 'green card', it may be worth applying for citizenship before you leave so that you don't lose that status and can return if you wish.
As long as you go back once a year your green card is still valid. Its not that hard to stay out longer if you apply for a re-entry permit.
Old Jan 8th 2019, 1:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by InFlagranteDelicto
As long as you go back once a year your green card is still valid.
I'd run that one past the pro's in the US immi section of the forum, as they would tend to disagree!
Old Jan 8th 2019, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

I'd run that one past the pro's in the US immi section of the forum, as they would tend to disagree!
Sure you can have it revoked, like you can have any visa revoked.
Malaysian government can revoke your MM2H visa as well.

But as long as you follow the regulations and keep your nose clean while overseas, you will be ok.
Old Jan 8th 2019, 2:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by InFlagranteDelicto
But as long as you follow the regulations and keep your nose clean while overseas, you will be ok.
From what I've read on the US forums, it's about maintaining residency (i.e. keeping US ties such as property, bank account, etc), as well as the actual timescales involved. This thread has some useful info in it (including from a US immi lawyer) - Returning to the UK after receiving green card

There are are lots of others in the US immi forums too.
Old Jan 8th 2019, 11:44 pm
Just Joined

Lacx is an unknown quantity at this point

Another thing to consider is if you become a US citizen, you will have to file a US tax return every year and pay taxes to the US, even if you spend zero days there.
Old Jan 9th 2019, 2:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Gunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond repute

Wouldn't filing a tax return etc also apply if you have a green card?
See also:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/robertw.../#58a12658890c

Regarding Malaysia, most western passport holders get 90 days stay on arrival to Malaysia but check.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_policy_of_Malaysia

As for vaccinations, depends on where you will be going.
We lived in Penang 9 years, w/o any vaccinations but some may nevertheless be advisable.
https://www.tmb.ie/destinations/vacc...s-for-malaysia
Old Jan 9th 2019, 2:19 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Gunnar45
Wouldn't filing a tax return etc also apply if you have a green card?
See also:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/robertw.../#58a12658890c
Yeah even green card holders are subject to the dreaded world wide taxation
Old Jan 9th 2019, 5:24 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dnorton94
Hello Everybody,

I'm in my early twenties and want to spend the next couple years travelling while I build businesses online. I have my undergraduate degree and enrolled in my graduate courses online. I spent the last 6 years in the US and want to travel Asia a couple months at a time in each destination. I've been fortunate to have good jobs over the last couple years and low expenses so I have saved money.

I would like Malaysia to be my first stop. What do I have to take into consideration? Are there any recommendation locations? Do I have to get any vaccinations? What do I have to take into consideration?

DN
To return to the original question: this is what the US government has to say about visiting Malaysia as a tourist: https://travel.state.gov/content/tra.../Malaysia.html
Of course do you not have a work permit if you enter Malaysia as a tourist.
Old Jan 9th 2019, 5:12 pm
Just Joined

Hi, welcome to BE.

I'm rather jealous, sounds like a lovely way of life! Obviously most countries you'll need a visa for, and not all will allow you to work whilst on that visa (unless it's a work permit), I'll let those in the know advise you on the legalities of what you can and can't do in Malaysia.

Best of luck and have fun.
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I'm a UK citizen born and raised. I went University in America and worked in America after University. I'm ready to branch out and do my own thing more intensively. I am a freelance developer among other hobbies that help me financially sustain myself. I have a nice and affordable place to stay with a friend. I'm sure there's other things I have to think about like do I need a new phone. What type of adapter will I need to charge my devices? What are the do's and don'ts? Are there a lot of British citizens around?

Last edited by dnorton94; Jan 9th 2019 at 5:17 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2019, 5:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I'm a UK citizen born and raised. I went University in America and worked in America after University. I'm ready to branch out and do my own thing more intensively. I am a freelance developer among other hobbies that help me financially sustain myself.
So no 'green card' anyway? That's a shame, sounds like you've made a life for yourself in the US. But exciting times await!

Just be aware that doing online work won't be allowed in all countries if you're just on a visitor visa - some (just like the US) won't let you work at all, even remotely for a business abroad. So do check in to that carefully for each location.

Best of luck.
Old Jan 9th 2019, 5:22 pm
Just Joined

So no 'green card' anyway? That's a shame, sounds like you've made a life for yourself in the US. But exciting times await!

Just be aware that doing online work won't be allowed in all countries if you're just on a visitor visa - some (just like the US) won't let you work at all, even remotely for a business abroad. So do check in to that carefully for each location.

Best of luck.
So you're saying even if I'm visiting I cannot do my freelance work that I was doing from the country? I have no customers in Mala and no business there. Really it's just a leisure trip.
Old Jan 9th 2019, 5:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

So you're saying even if I'm visiting I cannot do my freelance work that I was doing from the country? I have no customers in Mala and no business there. Really it's just a leisure trip.
I've no idea on the rules in Malaysia, the forum members there will be able to advise on whether you need a work permit to work remotely.

But I'm just saying do check each country's rules carefully, as you may find it's not allowed - just as it isn't in the US. I don't know if other countries are as draconian, but you'll need to double check it for each place.
Old Jan 10th 2019, 1:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Gunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond repute

dnorton94,
As the moderator pointed out, in most countries you are formally not allowed to work when you are there on a tourist or non-working visa.
I think it is an old fashioned law which doesn't consider that more and more people work from home over the web!
For example, how to deal with the professional who regularly checks his company email (and responds) while on vacation?

In real life, I met quite a number of people here in Malaysia who do online work. Both tourists and MM2H'ers.
With a VPN it will even if formally disallowed be almost impossible to monitor what one does online.
So I wouldn't worry too much.
Except maybe in the US and possibly North Korea where the customs authorities may demand access to the contents of your electronic devices. But then there are cloud storage options.....

As for voltages, adapters and others, I think you know that this information is readily available on the web.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.