Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Shipping (again - well charges)

Shipping (again - well charges)

Old Jul 24th 2016, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

IanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really nice
Default Shipping (again - well charges)

It's looking most likely that we will finally be making the move to Penang in a couple of months. We're not going to need to ship much, probably just a few boxes over and above whatever we can cram into suitcases. While it seems relatively simple to get quotes for example sea shipping[1] the exclusion is the charges for bringing goods into Malaysia. Mostly this is liable to be household stuff, clothes, books, photos etc all second hand and of little commercial value. Having found horror stories of people paying hundreds to get a couple of cases into some countries I'd sooner not open myself up to open wallet surgery. My wife is a Malaysian citizen, I'll be intending to go for LTSVP rather than MM2H.

[1] I've been guessing at 10 boxes, probably be less and quotes around £450 ish
Old Jul 26th 2016, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

IanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really nice
Default Re: Shipping (again - well charges)

What I should have carried on to say of course. Any ideas on what charges will / maybe? I followed an earlier link to Malaysian customs but the page is gone now
Old Jul 26th 2016, 10:10 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IanBlakeley
What I should have carried on to say of course. Any ideas on what charges will / maybe? I followed an earlier link to Malaysian customs but the page is gone now
Hi Ian,
Used households goods should be duty free. If all your goods 'belong' to your Malaysian wife that might be easier. Otherwise I think you’ll need to provide your removal company with a copy of your own LTSVP /MM2H pass before they will ship your goods.

See the attached PDF 4 page guide to Malaysia produced by FIDI – “the largest global alliance of professional international moving and relocation companies.”

There's another one here, which is slightly more up to date:
www.santaferelo.com/kb-download/89/Malaysia.pdf
For some reason I couldn't save it to my PC.

JC3
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
FIDI MALAYSIA.pdf (143.4 KB, 127 views)
Old Jul 26th 2016, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the pointers

Having discussed with immigration at the Butterworth office earlier this year you can't apply for LTSVP until you're in country, essentially it's an extension of the standard chop issued on entry. I'll transfer my tat to my wife
Old Jul 27th 2016, 8:43 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

One category which is not mentioned in the PDF file provided by JC3 is music instruments. I was told upon moving here that customs tends to pay special attention to those as they are expensive in Malaysia. So it is advisable to have the original purchase receipt to show that they are your own and for your own use.