British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/)
-   -   Serviced apt. in Penang (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/serviced-apt-penang-888537/)

Thairetired2016 Dec 6th 2016 1:19 pm

Serviced apt. in Penang

Hi,
After our first visit to Penang, and before we make a final decision, we decided to spend a month there. Just to see if we really want to move from Thailand.
My google search has not been any success. Nor did we see any serviced residences on our visit.
Are there any 4* serviced apts. in Penang? If yes, where should I look?
Tks for helping.

Davita Dec 7th 2016 12:13 am

Re: Serviced apt. in Penang

If you want an apartment I suggest you search AirBnB Penang then navigate to the area you desire.
I'd think a 'serviced' apartments search will not bring-up too many as apartments are generally unserviced....or not advertised as such.

Thairetired2016 Dec 7th 2016 7:21 am

Originally Posted by Davita (Post 12123228)
If you want an apartment I suggest you search AirBnB Penang then navigate to the area you desire.
I'd think a 'serviced' apartments search will not bring-up too many as apartments are generally unserviced....or not advertised as such.

Tks for your reply.
I was thinking of serviced residences like Ascott, Oakwook and similar. I did not mean a serviced privately owned condo. We do not support outfits like Airbnb.

SushiFan Dec 7th 2016 7:28 am

Originally Posted by Thairetired2016 (Post 12123436)
I was thinking of serviced residences like Ascott, Oakwook and similar.

Greetings from Penang. I have not heard of those companies being present here. What services are necessary to you and what services aren't necessary?

Thairetired2016 Dec 7th 2016 7:41 am

Originally Posted by SushiFan (Post 12123442)
Greetings from Penang. I have not heard of those companies being present here. What services are necessary to you and what services aren't necessary?

Hi,
"Serviced" = just like living in a hotel but accommodation is an apartment of whatever size you want, kitchen is equipped and there is a washer drier. Pool and gym is also available. This saves the hassle with maids, security, and whatever problems arise when living "unserviced". :-)

bakedbean Dec 7th 2016 7:50 am

There is Golden View serviced apartments in Tanjung Tokong, Penang. It's been there a while. I have no idea if it's any good. If you google, there is a website.

mikelincs Dec 7th 2016 7:51 am

Originally Posted by Thairetired2016 (Post 12123451)
Hi,
"Serviced" = just like living in a hotel but accommodation is an apartment of whatever size you want, kitchen is equipped and there is a washer drier. Pool and gym is also available. This saves the hassle with maids, security, and whatever problems arise when living "unserviced". :-)

In other words an Aparthotel

SushiFan Dec 8th 2016 6:35 am

Besides the option mentioned by Bakedbean could you also look into "Luxford 118", in Tanjung Tokong.

Thairetired2016 Dec 8th 2016 12:41 pm

Tks for all replies. There are what we call serviced apartments it appears. Actually, when I looked up Golden View, links to more such apts. appeared.
We had planned to stay for a month Feb/March, but Feb. seems to be busy. Is there a quiet time in Penang when we could find vacancy for a month? Tks.

bakedbean Dec 10th 2016 9:07 am

Originally Posted by Thairetired2016 (Post 12124394)
Tks for all replies. There are what we call serviced apartments it appears. Actually, when I looked up Golden View, links to more such apts. appeared.
We had planned to stay for a month Feb/March, but Feb. seems to be busy. Is there a quiet time in Penang when we could find vacancy for a month? Tks.

I would imagine that it would be easier to find a booking from May. That's when the first heavy rains start (usually).

Dec Jan Feb is High Season I believe and you've also got Christmas and Chinese New Year in the mix as well so, yep, will be busy.

kebi Dec 11th 2016 4:09 am

One of my friends is doing short term rentals on a professional bases. She furnished and manages around 50 of her properties for short term mainly. I think I’m not allowed to publish the companies name here, so you will need to pm me. You also could google “short term rental Penang” and some competitors of airbnb will appear.
Chinese New Year is this year end of January followed shortly by Thaipusam which makes Penang beginning of February quite busy. I personally try to escape Malaysia in March since the sun is directly above us and the rainy season did not really start – pretty hot and very humid if there is a usually short shower.
I think it’s a very good idea to stay here for a month and get a bit of a feeling how life is in Penang.

Gunnar45 Dec 11th 2016 4:53 am

Just make sure the short term rentals allow use of the facilities such as pool, gym etc. In our condo it is minimum one month and people staying shorter are not given ID cards and hence not allowed to use the facilities

Thairetired2016 Dec 11th 2016 12:30 pm

Tks for replying. I sent pm to kebi.
Good to learn about gym access rules. Tks Gunnar.