British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/)
-   -   serviced ap advice (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/serviced-ap-advice-661817/)

tomreports Mar 30th 2010 2:18 am

serviced ap advice

Hi,

I'm a journalist in my late twenties and I'm being sent, with one or two colleagues, to KL to write a report on Malaysia for the next few months. I'll be looking for a serviced apartment on arrival and hoped someone may be able to give me some tips.

I will need to be visiting offices around KL in order to undertake interviews but will also be spending a lot of time working from the apartment. I want the apartment to be comfortable, light, relatively quiet but in a young and fashionable area with the best restaurants and nightlife. Oh, and a decent pool would be a huge bonus!

Am I correct in thinking that an apartment in KLCC would be most appropriate? Can anyone suggest any specific buildings or agencies? My budget is around 1500USD per month for a two/three bedroom place, is that realistic?

Is it easy/cheap to get around by public transport/taxi or would a rental car be a better option?

What is the best network provider for a pay-as-you-go mobile phone?

Any young people got an insight on the nightlife scene? Best clubs/bars? Any authentic youth culture?

Any advice on these queries would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
Tom

OzSheila Mar 30th 2010 6:12 am

Re: serviced ap advice

Originally Posted by tomreports (Post 8458895)
Hi,

I'm a journalist in my late twenties and I'm being sent, with one or two colleagues, to KL to write a report on Malaysia for the next few months. I'll be looking for a serviced apartment on arrival and hoped someone may be able to give me some tips.

I will need to be visiting offices around KL in order to undertake interviews but will also be spending a lot of time working from the apartment. I want the apartment to be comfortable, light, relatively quiet but in a young and fashionable area with the best restaurants and nightlife. Oh, and a decent pool would be a huge bonus!

Am I correct in thinking that an apartment in KLCC would be most appropriate? Can anyone suggest any specific buildings or agencies? My budget is around 1500USD per month for a two/three bedroom place, is that realistic?

Is it easy/cheap to get around by public transport/taxi or would a rental car be a better option?

What is the best network provider for a pay-as-you-go mobile phone?

Any young people got an insight on the nightlife scene? Best clubs/bars? Any authentic youth culture?

Any advice on these queries would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
Tom

Hi,

We stayed in a 2 bedroom apartment this time last year at the Pacific Regency. I would recommend but perhaps read TripAdvisor for more up-to-date reviews. Good central location. Great roof top pool and bar and hence views.

Used taxis all the time although be warned depending on time of day you can be stuck in traffic for ages! Also used the monorail and it was very good.

Loved eating out - Madame Kwans is fab as is Delicious at Bangsar Village.

Sorry can't help with the nightclub scene as I am tad old for that;)

Loved KL - enjoy!