Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Sending our dog back to UK - Any advice pls.

Sending our dog back to UK - Any advice pls.

Old Oct 20th 2021, 7:26 am
Forum Regular

Hedge has a brilliant futureHedge has a brilliant futureHedge has a brilliant futureHedge has a brilliant futureHedge has a brilliant futureHedge has a brilliant futureHedge has a brilliant future
Default Sending our dog back to UK - Any advice pls.

I'd like to ask if anyone has had experience sending their dog (or even cat) back to UK. Any particular advice or companies to use or avoid? We may be returning next year but the dog will travel first in February. Any tips welcome.

H
Old Oct 20th 2021, 7:35 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sending our dog back to UK - Any advice pls.

Originally Posted by Hedge
I'd like to ask if anyone has had experience sending their dog (or even cat) back to UK. Any particular advice or companies to use or avoid? We may be returning next year but the dog will travel first in February. Any tips welcome.

H
Can't help with companies as we travelled from Australia when we moved ourselves and our dog to the UK.

Since you've said your dog will travel first, you need to be aware that to bring your pet to the UK relatively easily you'll have to follow specific rules, including that your pet arrives in the UK no more than 5 days before or after you. If you can't meet that 5 day rule it gets more complicated as you'd need to import your pet under different rules. Info here https://www.gov.uk/bring-pet-to-great-britain Best of luck.
Old Oct 22nd 2021, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

Hedge has a brilliant futureHedge has a brilliant futureHedge has a brilliant futureHedge has a brilliant futureHedge has a brilliant futureHedge has a brilliant futureHedge has a brilliant future

Thanks for that, good food for thought. One thing I've discovered is that a dog has to have a negative test for Nipah virus. Everyone I called so far doesn't conduct Nipah tests. I'll update later.
Old Oct 22nd 2021, 9:28 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that, good food for thought. One thing I've discovered is that a dog has to have a negative test for Nipah virus. Everyone I called so far doesn't conduct Nipah tests. I'll update later.
There's quite a bit to it isn't there, more than I thought when I started researching. Our goldie had to have a rabies shot, as rabies isn't in Oz so he'd never had one. What breed's your dog? (just being nosey )
Old Oct 22nd 2021, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
There's quite a bit to it isn't there, more than I thought when I started researching. Our goldie had to have a rabies shot, as rabies isn't in Oz so he'd never had one. What breed's your dog? (just being nosey )
Snap, also a goldie, 14 year old daft one. Quite the traveller is he. He's been through this twice before to other places, at 14 this is his last go. Other places we were able to achieve most things ourselves but here its a little more muddy.
Old Oct 22nd 2021, 10:26 am
Concierge

Snap, also a goldie, 14 year old daft one. Quite the traveller is he. He's been through this twice before to other places, at 14 this is his last go. Other places we were able to achieve most things ourselves but here its a little more muddy.
Goldies are the best! Ours was ten when we moved to the UK, sadly he was diagnosed with liver cancer two years later and passed away. We still talk about the funny and mad things he did. And their legendary love of all things edible, and even those that aren't edible

Wishing you all the best in navigating the muddy waters, it's really just a case of ticking all the required boxes but it does take a bit of organising. We ended up using a pet removal company, it was run by a vet so was pretty much a 'one stop shop', everything was done properly and in the right order.
Old Oct 23rd 2021, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

So sorry to hear your goldie passed away. At least he got a couple of years back in UK with you. You can't really put a price on these things.