Selling a car

Old Oct 5th 2011, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

mnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant future
Default Selling a car

Hi,

I'm after some advice on selling a car in Malaysia. After 4 years here I now find myself in the highly likely position of moving on from Malaysia to pastures new, and one of the first things to pop into my head at this time is not 'where will I get 100 plus?' or 'which company should I use to transport my furniture?' but 'how do I sell my car?!' Finding a buyer should be the easy part (I'd rather avoid giving 20% of the value to a car salesman so will be looking to sell privately), but what do I need to do in terms of paperwork to transfer the registration details, clear my car loan, and make sure I don't get ripped off or find out in years to come there are loads of summons in my name!?!

I have done some quick research on the interweb and it seems relatively straight forward to sell independently, and that most of the paperwork can be completed with JPJ, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience of selling a car here and knew of any pitfalls to look out for?

I may end up in a situation where I try to flog the car quickly so want to make sure I am as prepared as possible when the time comes!

Cheers,
M.

Old Oct 7th 2011, 4:07 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Selling a car

I was going to say go along to JPJ. Have you registered your car on their website? I believe (in theory) you can check on there if you have any outstanding fines etc.

Where are you off to? (if I'm not being too nosey)
Old Oct 29th 2011, 4:28 am
Forum Regular

mnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by bakedbean
I was going to say go along to JPJ. Have you registered your car on their website? I believe (in theory) you can check on there if you have any outstanding fines etc.

Where are you off to? (if I'm not being too nosey)
Hi baked bean... Am not going far, just to Singapore, but unfortunately it's not possible to drive a foreign car and too expensive to import so will be selling and then buying something older in Singapore! I've just finished my job and have a few weeks before I start in Singapore so will head to JPJ next week to find out what to do... Paid off all my summons yesterday after unsuccessfully trying to negotiate a discount with the officer!
Old Oct 29th 2011, 4:52 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Thought you said you were moving to sunnier climes, you fibber All the best with the move and see you in the Singapore forum.