British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/)
-   -   Seafood and Meat (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/seafood-meat-789752/)

AusMex Mar 7th 2013 11:59 am

Seafood and Meat

Gooday everyone, I have settled into Melaka, and loving it, only problem I left one danger zone for another, Mexico was the drug war, and it is worse then what you read about in the papers, here in Melaka it is dangerous with all the great food places to eat, I know cause I am putting on the weight.
What I would like to know is where can I buy different varieties of seafood to stock my freezer, looking for crab, squid, prawns, fish etc, basically anything from the ocean, and meat, would love a leg of lamb, and some nice steak.
If I have to travel to KL or somewhere else, that does not worry me, it means I get to see more of the country.
Thanks people
Frank
"Keep it Safe"

DeeDeee Mar 7th 2013 1:27 pm

Re: Seafood and Meat

Unifrozen in KL have very tasty legs of lamb and steak, you have to buy the whole piece of meat though. They will cut it into steaks for you, I just freeze it for later meals. Unifrozen also sell a range of seafood but I haven't tried any of it.

ex reg Mar 7th 2013 2:34 pm

Tesco or the Aeon next door has all those items.

BTW my missus was out with her friends tonight in Singapore for a seafood meal.
crab was S$58 per kilo and lobster S$198 per kilo.

In UK we pay crab S$15 per kilo and lobster S$30 per kilo.
Amazing difference innit.

And in fact in UK the lobster is even cheaper because I can go down to the seaside where I live and always manage to catch 2 or 3 lobsters there.

ex reg Mar 7th 2013 11:28 pm

Have you tried the local 'wet markets' for seafood and meat?
Dunno where they are in Malacca but if you find a good one then you'll have no problems.

Also last time we were there, Bai Zan had just introduced a Deep fried shoulder of lamb.
Doesn't sound great but it was perfectly cooked and as tender as anything.
Unfortunately no mint sauce or red current jelly to accompany it.

bakedbean Mar 8th 2013 2:01 am

As Ex-Reg said, there surely must be some wet markets in Melaka and you should be able to get fresh seafood and meats there.

Here in Penang, the supermarkets stock some fish and seafood. From Cold Storage, I get imported salmon fillets, prawns, mussel meat. Occasionally they have grouper fillets. Tesco has a big range of fresh fish - I've never tried any of their fresh fish, but buy frozen sotong and mackerel sometimes.

From the wet market I can usually get fresh stingray.

Moonbeamzz Mar 9th 2013 9:53 am

Hey good on you AusMex to have made it to and settled in Melaka. Love to hear anything you have got to say about the area. Myself and the wife are looking to travel there in Aug/Sept this year and are trying to learn what we can before arriving.
Cheers
Moonbeamzz :)

AusMex Mar 9th 2013 10:47 am

Hi Moon, I am really getting to know the area, some things take time to find, but I will succeed. Anything you want know I will try to answer, if I don't know I will find out.
Frank
Keep it Safe