Schooling for 4 year old American/British

Schooling for 4 year old American/British

Old Oct 11th 2012, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

movin2malaysia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Schooling for 4 year old American/British

Hi All,
We are moving to KL in 2/3 months.
I have a 4 year old who has started school this year. Having looked at schools in KL it looks like we may put him in an American school.
My question is does it matter at this age ?
I think we will be in KL for 3 years so my son will be 7 by then. Does it matter if he goes to an American or British school ?
Old Oct 11th 2012, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

whybirda is just really nicewhybirda is just really nicewhybirda is just really nicewhybirda is just really nicewhybirda is just really nicewhybirda is just really nicewhybirda is just really nicewhybirda is just really nice
Default Re: Schooling for 4 year old American/British

Hi there, where are you from? I've recently moved to KL from the UK and my kids are going to an Australian school thus following the Australian curriculum which is quite different from the UK one.

I think this is all down to personal preference and what ever curriculum they follow they should get a pretty good standard of education. Can't comment on the US curriculum but the British one is quite good.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 2:19 pm
Pbc
Just Joined

Pbc is an unknown quantity at this point

I wouldn't worry too much. Scandinavian children don't even start school until they are 7 and there is much educational research which supports a later start. As long as your son is happy and not bored any early education will benefit him. Make sure he is in the system that you want him to stay in by the age of 7 and he will be just fine.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks whybirda, PBC
We are from UK and we did not have a choice here where our son went. Now that we have a choice we dont know what to pick.
I agree with PBC. It is not about academics. I can do that at home. It's all the other stuff and finding out which school would suit him best.
I was tempted to apply from UK and emailed a couple of schools, but have now decided that we will make a decision after getting there and visiting the schools. If it means that he will get a place later then that's fine.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 11:44 pm
ajw

Location: Melbourne - London - Bangkok - Melbourne - Kuala Lumpur - Melbourne
ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute

Visiting the schools first is absolutely the right decision. We visited 3 British schools here before making a final choice; its very important that you feel comfortable with your choice given the high (non refundable) entry fee's! The school will also give you an indication on any waiting lists.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

Thanks ajw