Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Saya Jim, KL here I come... Bangsar or Damansara Heights?

Saya Jim, KL here I come... Bangsar or Damansara Heights?

Old May 21st 2011, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

optimistic_jim has a brilliant futureoptimistic_jim has a brilliant futureoptimistic_jim has a brilliant futureoptimistic_jim has a brilliant futureoptimistic_jim has a brilliant futureoptimistic_jim has a brilliant future
Question Saya Jim, KL here I come... Bangsar or Damansara Heights?

Hi, just joined the forum hoping that it's more lively than ExpatKL.com!

I'm moving to KL in July, will be working in Petaling Jaya, am single with a decent amount to spend on rent and have been told that Bangsar and Damansara Heights are good places to live for an Expat, would anyone be good enough to give some quick pro's and con's for both areas please???

Or how about living in KLCC, will it be a total nightmare to drive to Petaling Jaya everyday, I'll probably be on the road by about 0730hrs and going home around 1800hrs, have been told to avoid public transport!?

I appreciate any advice anyone can offer, I will have a few weeks when I get there to check out the areas, but I like to be prepared and you can't beat local knowledge for the best advice.

Cheers,

Jim
Old May 22nd 2011, 5:40 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Saya Jim, KL here I come... Bangsar or Damansara Heights?

Hi Jim. Well this used to be quite a quiet board, but it's building up gradually. Forums are what you make of them really.

Not much I can help you with as I'm in Penang, but have suffered the traffic jams of Petaling Jaya when getting my MM2H visa extension and yup it can be pretty horrendous.

We've got a few new folks in KL on this board now, so hopefully they'll be along soon to advise you. All the best with the move.
Old May 22nd 2011, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

optimistic_jim has a brilliant futureoptimistic_jim has a brilliant futureoptimistic_jim has a brilliant futureoptimistic_jim has a brilliant futureoptimistic_jim has a brilliant futureoptimistic_jim has a brilliant future

Hi bakedbean, love the name

I agree, forums are what you make them, it wasn't a diss at ExpatKL as their site is very useful, just a shame the forum is a little sparse of activity!

Anyway, thanks for the snippet of insight, every snippet is useful, much appreciated.

Jim
Old May 22nd 2011, 9:24 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't get any replies to this one, though you probably will, try adding to an existing thread on KL. There's quite a few on here. That should give folks a little nudge.
Old May 23rd 2011, 1:23 am
Forum Regular

joamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=optimistic_jim;9379565]Hi, just joined the forum hoping that it's more lively than ExpatKL.com!

I'm moving to KL in July, will be working in Petaling Jaya, am single with a decent amount to spend on rent and have been told that Bangsar and Damansara Heights are good places to live for an Expat, would anyone be good enough to give some quick pro's and con's for both areas please???

Hi Jim, We have been in KL about 6 months. I really like Bangsar, lots of places to eat out, good shopping and good access to roads to get around. I'm not so familiar with Damansara...sorry. But you will be spoilt for choice for great places to live. There are so many nice areas, and you are right to pick one that will give you a easy time getting to work and back. Find a good realator who will show you around and you'll have no trouble finding somewhere. KLCC I wouldn't bother with because of traffic in and out. I was in PJ yesterday, they have a great comedy theatre (it's only tiny) but it's surrounded by bars and restaurants and it made for a great Sunday afternoon with friends.
Good luck with the move!
Old May 25th 2011, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

Hi joamelie, is that Jo and Amelie?

Thanks for your reply, the more I hear about KL the more excited I'm getting. I think I'm getting a good idea of where I want to live now, somewhere in between KLCC & Petaling Jaya, so I'm going to scope out all the places in the first couple of weeks and what properties are available and then go for it! I think Bangsar sounds like favorite at the mo, Damansara might be a little too quiet.

Would Brickfields area near the KL Sentral be too congested do you think?

Thanks again,

Jim
Old May 26th 2011, 1:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Strider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud of

Brickfields is great if you like curry...and it is congested. Damansara Heigths is also a traffic nightmare in any direction. Bangsar is crowded but public transport is close. Some parts of PJ and Subang area I'm told is nice and lively...but I haven't seen it....haven't really looked.
Old May 29th 2011, 7:04 am

Is there any part of KL that isn't congested?
Old May 29th 2011, 7:47 am
ajw

Location: Melbourne - London - Bangkok - Melbourne - Kuala Lumpur - Melbourne
ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Bangsar and love it here. We have very good access to the freeways and parts of PJ are only 5-10 mins from where I live (Pantai Hospital end). As the other posters have indicated you have a great range of restaurants, bars and cafe's as well as supermarkets. Very close also to Mid Valley Megamall if you need a better range of shops (although Bangsar Village does provide a lot). There are train stations here as well. Damansara Heights is definitely quieter - lots of families there. The only downside for us is the mosque noise - we are between Bangsar and Kerinchi mosques and cop both! Good Luck
Old May 30th 2011, 3:42 am
Forum Regular

joamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud of

Brickfields is very congested and the condos are really tightly packed in!
I've recently heard good things about Tropicana Golf resort out in PJ, something you might consider taking a look at, and Seputeh is also near the megamall and Bangsar and is a nice area to live in.
Good luck with the house hunting....when do you come out?
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

Hey bb, strider, ajw and joamelie, thank you for your replies, sorry I've taken a while to read them, been away for the week with my kids spending time with them before I leave to KL.

I've now booked my flight for 16th July and begin work on 18th, staying in PJ for the first week and then a temporary apartment until I find a place.

Looks like I should give PJ a shot too, maybe it's the next Bansar in the making? Plus it'll be very handy for work.

Cheers, please keep any more recommendations coming or if you find out anything else about PJ or other areas

Jim
Old Jun 6th 2011, 8:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Atilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really nice

I have a very good friend who has relatives in Bangsar and I was most impressed with the area when we visited on my recent trip. It had a distinct up-market feel to it and there was plenty going on there. Property prices seem quite reasonable too. Had i opted for KL I would have gone for Bangsar given what people were telling me about the various options for living in KL.

I visited several districts of KL when I was there to see friends of friends and have to say I did like Bangsar the most, maybe followed the area out by Subang Airport, esp nr the Saujana Golf Club (IIRC) but it is a nightmare to get to with traffic on the Federal Highway (esp if it's raining) and is quite a way out from KLCC, 40 mins easy, and that's if traffic is flowing.

Last edited by Atilla; Jun 6th 2011 at 8:35 am.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Atilla, much appreciated