Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Salaries...whats enough.

Salaries...whats enough.

Old Apr 19th 2015, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

Twixy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Salaries...whats enough.

If there is a difference in experience, education, or something else of value to a company, I think a pay difference is justified. But if you are trying to justify a significant skill difference based on citizenship alone with the presumption that Westerners are just more deserving, well your line of thought is borderline racist and probably not sustainable (hence the need to hound Westerners to hold out).

Anyways we are getting a bit off-topic. If locals are averaging 8,500 RM per month, almost double the median salary is a good place to start to say the least.
Old Apr 19th 2015, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

lacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond repute

Not all expats need rm25k + pm to live and work here.

I have been working and living in Malaysia for 3 yrs. Half of which was in KL. My salary is less than Haggis and I lived quite comfortably.
In KL I had rented a beautiful 3 bedroom 2 bathroom, 1500sqm condo. 15 min drive (of peak times) from city center.2 x car park bays. With a great view of Petronas towers.
My rent was rm1500pm.(I believe now it has gone up to rm2000)
water,electric, gas came to about rm300pm.
I had plenty of cash left over and even more so now since moving to Ipoh.
The above proves, you don't need a vast amount of money to live comfortably in Malaysia, it all depends on the individuals taste and lifestyle and I for one do not feel insulted by my salary.
Old Apr 20th 2015, 3:07 am
KK Resident - Retired

Hovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Re: Salaries...whats enough.

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
Hi Haggis68.

It seems your post has stepped on a landmine!

As KoLF and BB have said, RM15,500 gross pm is going to be more than enough to live well in Ipoh. In fact, you could start looking at some pretty nice holidays around SE Asia during the school holidays.

Now that would make for a fun thread, picking out some choice spots in Bali (hello Davita), Singapore (hello exreg) as well as Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam. Personally, I would like to check ouit Burma but BE doesn't seem to have anyone in place there as yet.
I make a pitch to include Sabah and Sarawak in the list of choice spots. Lots to do in Sabah and you won't have to worry about changing currency.
Old Apr 20th 2015, 4:51 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

I would of thought 15K a month would be plenty. I didn't think Malaysia was that expensive. Maybe cost are more in KL, but not that much more surely.
Old Apr 20th 2015, 6:38 am
Expat in Malaysia

kingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
I would of thought 15K a month would be plenty. I didn't think Malaysia was that expensive. Maybe cost are more in KL, but not that much more surely.
Agreed. I can only think that anyone who NEEDS more than that (as opposed to just greedy), needs to review their outgoings.
Old Apr 20th 2015, 7:26 am
KK Resident - Retired

Hovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of light

Interesting that the MM2H requirement is now a minimum of RM10K/month
Old Apr 20th 2015, 7:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

@lacmac post #32
Are you sure 1500sqm...that's huge. My apartment in Jakarta is 98sqm and it's 2 beds/2 baths and big enough.
Maybe you meant 1500 sq.ft.
and Rm 300pm for energy sounds cheap....
Can anyone advise the KWH rate for electricity in Malaysia? My rate here in Bali has been going up and up as they reduce subsidy...currently around Rm 0.5 per KWH.

Last edited by Davita; Apr 20th 2015 at 7:39 am.
Old Apr 20th 2015, 7:42 am
Forum Regular

lacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond repute

Your correct Davita , Sorry my mistake,predictive text again.

Rm300 is when I use just 2 aircon units,Bedroom and sitting room which was fine for me.

Originally Posted by Davita
@lacmac post #32
Are you sure 1500sqm...that's huge. My apartment in Jakrta is 98sqm and it's 2 beds/baths and big enough.
Maybe you meant 1500 sq.ft.
and Rm 300pm for energy sounds cheap....
Can anyone advise the KWH rate for electricity in Malaysia? My rate here in Bali has been going up and up as they reduce subsidy...currently around Rm 0.5 per KWH.
Old Apr 20th 2015, 8:08 am
Expat in Malaysia

kingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hovite
Interesting that the MM2H requirement is now a minimum of RM10K/month
Has been for several years as far as I recall.

Equally, there has been argument among MM2H'ers how excessive this is given cost of living in Malaysia (more so previously before the current bout of GST madness), but Tourism Malaysia based its decision not on actual costs, but on the sort of people they want to attract - so it is what it is.

Actually it is very difficult to pass the 10,000 MYR per month test due to the sort of documentation that they expect. Presumably this is why most MM2H'ers don't go down this route, but rather the FD route.
Old Apr 20th 2015, 10:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Gunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond repute

Here are the present electricity rates in Malaysia for domestic users:

kWh RM/kWh
</= 200 0.218
201-300 0.334
301-600 0.516
601-900 0.546
901 - 0.571

We rarely come over RM 100:- per month since we installed inverter type A/C's in our bedroom and in the guest room.
But we run A/C only at nights in the bedroom, set to 25 or 26C which we find is enough to keep the air dry.
The rest we manage with open windows and electric fans.
Other major electricity consumers are washing machine (water heating type), storage tank type water heater for showers (switched on 10-15 min per day) and an inverter type refrigerator.
Old Apr 20th 2015, 10:55 am
KK Resident - Retired

It looks like the min monthly increased in 2010 from 7k to 10k
Old Apr 20th 2015, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

Britmal is just really niceBritmal is just really niceBritmal is just really niceBritmal is just really niceBritmal is just really niceBritmal is just really niceBritmal is just really niceBritmal is just really niceBritmal is just really niceBritmal is just really niceBritmal is just really nice

@Twixy:
well your line of thought is borderline racist
I deeply resent that statement. I have been married to a Malaysian for 20 years and my daughter is of mixed race.

@lacmac:
In KL I had rented a beautiful 3 bedroom 2 bathroom, 1500sqm condo
Well you did extremely well then! A 1,400 square foot apartment in Ampang is going to cost you RM5k per month minimum.

We rarely come over RM 100:- per month since we installed inverter type A/C's in our bedroom and in the guest room.
How did you manage that then? My old (Malaysian) mother-in-law lives in a kampong house without any air-con or any other major power consuming appliances and her electricity bill averages RM150 per month! Plus water charges of around RM60 per month.

Are you or your condo manager fiddling the meters or what?!

Last edited by Britmal; Apr 20th 2015 at 12:03 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2015, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

Haggis68 has a reputation beyond reputeHaggis68 has a reputation beyond reputeHaggis68 has a reputation beyond reputeHaggis68 has a reputation beyond reputeHaggis68 has a reputation beyond reputeHaggis68 has a reputation beyond reputeHaggis68 has a reputation beyond reputeHaggis68 has a reputation beyond reputeHaggis68 has a reputation beyond reputeHaggis68 has a reputation beyond reputeHaggis68 has a reputation beyond repute

Bakedbean - you there?

i think this thread has served its purpose, i am happy with the discussion to date and have been well informed by all posters.

I think the slide into racial territory and other areas has fractured the thread and if could request it be deleted or in least stopped.

Lastly thanks to all who posted.

regards
Old Apr 20th 2015, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

I wasn't lucky, just researched the area.
My condo was right next to jalan kuching. It was 5min drive to Solaris dutamas and 15min to the Curve/Ikea.
By being 15 mins out of the centre, prices drop dramatically.

Before we had a baby my electric bill was about rm150 it has increased because the baby has several naps and we have the aircon in her room.

As gunnar45 does, we use our Inverter aircon only at night and fans during the day . likewise our fridge is an Inverter type.
Old Apr 20th 2015, 12:44 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Haggis68
Bakedbean - you there?

i think this thread has served its purpose, i am happy with the discussion to date and have been well informed by all posters.

I think the slide into racial territory and other areas has fractured the thread and if could request it be deleted or in least stopped.

Lastly thanks to all who posted.

regards
When I said that your tread had inadvertently trodden on a landmine it wasn't because of the questions you asked but because of a certain poster who started joining in! If you look at someone's post history before taking the trouble to answer them it can avoid a lot of trouble. Although they may eventually get banned they can always come back under another name so best just to take precautions.

I don't know if BB can delete a thread but there is nothing of great value here and it does give a bad image of BE, so let's hope she can.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.