Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Rodi's thread about the haze issue.

Rodi's thread about the haze issue.

Old Oct 20th 2015, 7:26 am
Forum Regular

meinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rodi's thread about the haze issue.

I see humour in everything... It's a prerequisite for MM2H approval. Would never have survived 20 years here without adding humour to dilute the frustration. Plus training for the even more ridiculous situations one comes across when dealing with the UK re pensions and visas.
What to do lah?
Old Oct 20th 2015, 3:04 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stuurman
I read this:

It is estimated that the extensive burning of peat and vegetation in the 1997 El Nino year released between 0.81 and 2.57 gigatons of carbon, then equivalent to a staggering 13 to 40 per cent of global carbon emissions from fossil fuels.

Source:
Instead of pointing fingers, start restoring peatlands, Opinion News & Top Stories - The Straits Times

This year seems even worse.

I'm surprised how little attention, for example compared to the Volkswagen scandal, this gets in the Western press, after all with these kind of extra emissions in the long term the haze is affecting the whole planet.
It' a very interesting article, Stuurman - there is certainly a lack of understanding about the problem and its solution.

Just to add a few more statistics, it would seem that man is responsible for about 8 gigatons of CO2 going into the atmosphere but nature is currently putting out 210 gigatons of CO2. This is apparently a result of the ocean surface being slightly warmer than usual and is likely to drop in the next cooler phase of the sun's cycle.

Anyone wanting to read more a rather technical article on this subject should go here:-

Most Of The Rise In CO2 Likely Comes From Natural Sources
Old Oct 21st 2015, 1:54 am
Forum Regular

Stuurman has a reputation beyond reputeStuurman has a reputation beyond reputeStuurman has a reputation beyond reputeStuurman has a reputation beyond reputeStuurman has a reputation beyond reputeStuurman has a reputation beyond reputeStuurman has a reputation beyond reputeStuurman has a reputation beyond reputeStuurman has a reputation beyond reputeStuurman has a reputation beyond reputeStuurman has a reputation beyond repute

Lies, damned lies and statistics.

I'm sure you can find proof on the internet that the earth flat and that Elvis is alive. Salby's findings have been debunked by other scientists and seem to be based on mathematical errors.

I stick with the scientific consensus that the Earth is warming, and that it is extremely likely (at least 95% probability) that humans are causing most of it.
Old Oct 21st 2015, 2:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Gunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond repute

Talking about greenhouse gases, have you seen the movie 'Cowspiracy'?
Claims that the methane emissions from cattle farts do more damage than the combined exhausts from transportation. Methane being more harmful than carbon dioxide.
So, become a vegetarian instead of getting your nutrition via a proxy :-).
Old Oct 21st 2015, 7:45 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stuurman
Lies, damned lies and statistics.

I'm sure you can find proof on the internet that the earth flat and that Elvis is alive. Salby's findings have been debunked by other scientists and seem to be based on mathematical errors.

I stick with the scientific consensus that the Earth is warming, and that it is extremely likely (at least 95% probability) that humans are causing most of it.
Last week I visited the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution (WHOI) on Rhode Island. They have the same statistics.

Where they disagree is on what is warming the oceans. Since a major part of WHOI's funding comes from the carbon-tax-financed research grants, they prefer the human carbon emissions theory whereas Salby's inconvenient view that it a mainly natural cycle actually lost him his job at Maquarie (who also rely on grants for their research).

What I would be interested to know is how much of the tax which is collected worldwide for carbon emissions is actually spent doing anything about it. The process is about as opaque as the Penang haze.

Another interesting read is Rupert Darwall's Age of Global Warming.
Old Oct 21st 2015, 9:30 am
Forum Regular

meinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond repute

Actually what worries me much more is the due date for Krakatau next eruption.. sometime in the next 15 years according to most reports, and it's only 1,111 kilometers from K.L.
"Krakatau eruption that happened in 1883 is considered to be the most dangerous natural disasters in human history. Giant waves up to 40 meters in height caused by the explosion rounded planet Earth four times. The volcano explosion could be heard at a distance of five thousand kilometers (considered to be the loudest sound that could ever be heard on Earth)
The resultant tsunami killed 36,000 people in 1883, but would likely to be over 1 million today. Plus the resultant ash fallout would fall over most of S.E.A. and circle the earth a few times."
Would make the current haze seem like a breath of fresh air.
At least we can (but don't) do something about the haze.
Old Oct 21st 2015, 9:38 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Being so cheerful keeps you going eh?
Old Oct 21st 2015, 11:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Gunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond repute

See it from the bright side.
Nothing says that Krakatau II will be as violent.
But there are a lot of more volcanoes out there....
Old Oct 21st 2015, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gunnar45
Co-incidentally this topic of volcanoes is being discussed on another forum I contribute.
The real topic is Indonesia's plan to start building a nuclear energy electrical plant...near to Jepara in North Central Java between Jakarta and Semarang.
Problem is it's only a few Kms from an extinct volcano....

"Gunung Muria, the volcano 30 kilometres from the proposed site, has been dormant for centuries, underpinning Indonesian confidence that the area is safe.
But a 2003 study by International Atomic Energy Agency researchers obtained by Professor Tanter painted a far bleaker picture. It concluded that the 1600-metre-high Gunung Muria was capable of erupting during the lifespan of any nuclear plant, showering debris, hot gases and rocks on to the facility from vents as close as 4.5 kilometres away."

Read more: Indonesia gets serious about nuclear energy

Although this report was written 2009 the VP of Indonesia (Kalla) recently declared the project was still ongoing.
Old Oct 21st 2015, 2:05 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gunnar45
Yes, if Toba blows, we shall all be playing our harps up on a cloud.
Old Oct 21st 2015, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Yes, if Toba blows, we shall all be playing our harps up on a cloud.
Aaghh but BB isn't it exciting to be living on the edge of the 'ring of fire'? Btw I never knew what that meant until recently...everytime I heard it mentioned I thought of a bad curry.
I was saddened to hear the Indonesians decided to cancel the Sunda bridge project. It not only would have connected Java with Sumatra but would also give a beautiful view of the smoke coming out of Anak Krakatau (Krakatau 2).
I spent Xmas a couple of years ago at Anyar with my in-laws and, sitting on the beach, contemplating a bridge nearby, brought shivers...
heres a link to a map....
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ait_map_v3.png
Old Oct 21st 2015, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Being so cheerful keeps you going eh?
Being resigned to the fact that nature is far more powerful than we are keeps me going... Que sera sera

Was just pointing out it could be a lot worse
I would fear the risks of living in California more.

Anak K. is a lovely sight at night, especially from a boat.
http://images.summitpost.org/original/691028.jpg

Last edited by meinkl; Oct 21st 2015 at 6:21 pm.
Old Oct 21st 2015, 8:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

NeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Davita

"Gunung Muria, the volcano 30 kilometres from the proposed site, has been dormant for centuries, underpinning Indonesian confidence that the area is safe.
But a 2003 study by International Atomic Energy Agency researchers obtained by Professor Tanter painted a far bleaker picture. It concluded that the 1600-metre-high Gunung Muria was capable of erupting during the lifespan of any nuclear plant, showering debris, hot gases and rocks on to the facility from vents as close as 4.5 kilometres away."
Interesting quote from the IAEA, I would like to see it in its full context. During its lifespan a nuclear reactor would go through 5 phases. In phase 1 ' 10 years construction' there is no nuclear material of any consequence on the site. Phase 2 'operation' for a modern presurised water reactor lasts around 60 years and this is the period when there is an awful lot of radioactive material present that would be a threat if the plant was damaged by an eruption. Phase 3 is defuelling, it only takes about a week to remove the core from the reactor to the storage ponds and around 100 days for the most biologically significant radioactive material ( I-131) to decay away. Although for the best outcome allow a few years to ship the fuel elements to a geologically safe storage location. Once the fuel has been removed the environmental affects from any natural disaster affecting the facility are greatly reduced. Phase 4 decommissioning may take a decade or two after which the plant would probably be placed in safe store which is phase 5 and will last for hundreds of years.

So yes I think the IAEA identified that there could be an eruption during the lifespan of the reactor but I doubt that they concluded that it was likely to occur during the 60 years of operation. I could wrap my car around a lampost but after 40 years of safe driving I think the probability is low enough that I am happy to keep on driving for another 10-20 years evenue around Penang with its kamikazi motorcyclists.
Old Oct 21st 2015, 9:00 pm
Hostage Negotiator

As regards the haze there are 19 products that is has been suggested should be boycotted by consumers. I think I've seen at least some of them on Tesco's shelves.

Living In The Heart Of The Deadly Haze
Old Oct 30th 2015, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

Well.. for 2 days now we in KL have been treated to a view of the Titiwangsa range and an unhindered view of KL skyline deprived from us for the last few months. I only hope the NE monsoon wind, which the papers are already complaining about, with it's effect on the East coast, stays and keeps the haze, which is STILL there, but not here, away from Malaysia.
Hope those of you in Penang can also now see the sea again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.