Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Rodi's thread about the haze issue.

Rodi's thread about the haze issue.

Old Oct 9th 2015, 8:50 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rodi's thread about the haze issue.

Some good news:-

Malaysia to help waterbomb Sumatra fires (Video) | New Straits Times | Malaysia General Business Sports and Lifestyle News
Old Oct 11th 2015, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

meinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond repute

I was out a sea today off Klang and visability was less than 1 km so i think they will need a lot of water!
Old Oct 11th 2015, 7:35 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Indonesia has now asked for international assistance - Australia is sending water-bombing aircraft and crews, and apparently other countries are getting involved as well.
Old Oct 13th 2015, 2:08 am
Forum Regular

Rodi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Indonesia has now asked for international assistance - Australia is sending water-bombing aircraft and crews, and apparently other countries are getting involved as well.
Way too late for help. Haze is permanent or at least a 6 out of 12 month occurrence as readings remain from 300 to 800 in the Indoensian hot spot areas. Seems imminent that Penang will enter the "dry season" with gray dead sky, tinges of hazy sunshine and limited visibility that will probably never return to normal since they will start next year's spring burning by the time nature extinguishes this year's mess. Really makes for a great tourist draw.

Hilarious article yesterday:

PM is in Indonesia to discuss "bilateral cooperation with Indonesia for the purposes of the palm oil industry." Their PM admits he's "a bit embarrassed" about this year's environmental disaster that continues to pound Malaysia's economy not to mention the health of everyone. As of today there are zero green readings anywhere in all of peninsular Malayisa.

Response to potentially preventing this from happening for 18 more years is comical: "it would cost 40 times more to clear the land without slash and burn".

Even funnier: Malaysia offers help to teach them the right way to do it since legal methods of clearing that don't ruin the nation's air quality are already being practiced in Malaysia's (much smaller) regions that are cleared for Palm production.

Their response: see the quote above and read between the lines.

Last edited by Rodi; Oct 13th 2015 at 2:10 am. Reason: Typo
Old Oct 13th 2015, 6:53 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rodi
Way too late for help. Haze is permanent or at least a 6 out of 12 month occurrence as readings remain from 300 to 800 in the Indoensian hot spot areas. Seems imminent that Penang will enter the "dry season" with gray dead sky, tinges of hazy sunshine and limited visibility that will probably never return to normal since they will start next year's spring burning by the time nature extinguishes this year's mess. Really makes for a great tourist draw.

Hilarious article yesterday:

PM is in Indonesia to discuss "bilateral cooperation with Indonesia for the purposes of the palm oil industry." Their PM admits he's "a bit embarrassed" about this year's environmental disaster that continues to pound Malaysia's economy not to mention the health of everyone. As of today there are zero green readings anywhere in all of peninsular Malayisa.

Response to potentially preventing this from happening for 18 more years is comical: "it would cost 40 times more to clear the land without slash and burn".

Even funnier: Malaysia offers help to teach them the right way to do it since legal methods of clearing that don't ruin the nation's air quality are already being practiced in Malaysia's (much smaller) regions that are cleared for Palm production.

Their response: see the quote above and read between the lines.
Ofher countries cannot send assistance until they are asked for it.

I know we have plenty of fires over here which would take tge aircraft back if you don't want them.
Old Oct 13th 2015, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

Ofher countries cannot send assistance until they are asked for it.

I know we have plenty of fires over here which would take tge aircraft back if you don't want them.
Not sure who this response is aimed at. It's not my country so I don't have any personal stake one way or the other.
Old Oct 13th 2015, 8:24 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Rodi
Not sure who this response is aimed at. It's not my country so I don't have any personal stake one way or the other.
You said it was too late for help, I was merely pointing out why the 'help' didn't arrive sooner.

For someone with no personal stake in the place you sure are getting touchy about it!
Old Oct 13th 2015, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

You said it was too late for help, I was merely pointing out why the 'help' didn't arrive sooner.

For someone with no personal stake in the place you sure are getting touchy about it!
Yes I agree. But there's no sense in rehashing what we know. They don't want help because they don't really care. Slash and burn generates billions for the elite few that run their economy and 80 million people are just collateral damage. It's the same as how the USA just murdered (oh sorry, accidentally killed) more than a dozen doctors from Doctors Without Borders when they "accidentally" missed their target in Afghanistan, only on a much larger scale
Old Oct 14th 2015, 9:57 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

For Rodi:-

Consumers can play a role to prevent haze from recurring - Views | The Star Online
Old Oct 14th 2015, 10:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

One of the problems with the remedy advised by the 'Star' reporter is that no-one seems to know which companies are applying good practice and which are not.
If consumers embargo products from the responsible companies they may be 'throwing the baby out with the bathwater'.
This Indonesian Gov't has only been in office about a year and are seriously attempting to find a solution. It just cannot be solved instantly...unless it rains.
Old Oct 14th 2015, 11:44 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

That is a very fair point Davita.

I do actually try my best to be mindful of what I buy with regards to palm oil products but I can quite see that by doing that I may also be putting responsible companies under stress, thereby allowing irresponsible companies more room in the consumer marketplace.
Old Oct 15th 2015, 12:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

It isn't only palm oil companies that slash and burn but also pulp and paper companies. You might be wiping your bum with a paper product from a slash/burn company...or a responsible company like SinerMas.
I can tell the difference...the former causes a burning sensation... or could that be the curry I'd eat the previous night.

The oversimplified report reminds me when Russia's Putin decided to deny gay parades during the winter Olympics. Gays in San Francisco embargo'd all Stolichnaya vodka...and they previously drank a lot..not knowing that USA imported Stolichnaya is made in Latvia...a reasonably friendly gay country....
from Wiki....'In 1992, soon after Latvia regained independence from the Soviet Union, homosexuality was decriminalised. The age of consent is 16 regardless of gender and/or sexuality.'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stolichnaya
Old Oct 15th 2015, 12:43 am
Hostage Negotiator

Originally Posted by Davita
It isn't only palm oil companies that slash and burn but also pulp and paper companies. You might be wiping your bum with a paper product from a slash/burn company...or a responsible company like SinerMas.
I can tell the difference...the former causes a burning sensation... or could that be the curry I'd eat the previous night.

The oversimplified report reminds me when Russia's Putin decided to deny gay parades during the winter Olympics. Gays in San Francisco embargo'd all Stolichnaya vodka...and they previously drank a lot..not knowing that USA imported Stolichnaya is made in Latvia...a reasonably friendly gay country....
from Wiki....'In 1992, soon after Latvia regained independence from the Soviet Union, homosexuality was decriminalised. The age of consent is 16 regardless of gender and/or sexuality.'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stolichnaya
Great post Davita, but I never know whether you're just making stuff up
Old Oct 15th 2015, 1:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
Great post Davita, but I never know whether you're just making stuff up
Glad my post found some enjoyment, glad you even read it.... but I confess...I'm not smart enough to make this stuff up..... not by half

Gay Bar Lifts Ban On Stoli Vodka, Boycott Ends / Queerty

If I were that clever I'd probably land a job as Donald Trump's speech writer...hmmm...there's a novel idea.
Old Oct 15th 2015, 1:14 am
Hostage Negotiator

Actually the more unbelievable something is, then the more likely it is to be true. On the other hand your sense of humour is....I can't find quite the right word.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.