Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Rodi's thread about the haze issue.

Rodi's thread about the haze issue.

Old Oct 6th 2015, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

meinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rodi's thread about the haze issue.

We... the readers and writers on this forum, by very definition, have the means to choose where to live (within reason and UKIV controls), so the concern should not be the criteria of the nomadic expat, but the plight of the millions of people in SEA that do not have a choice as to where they live and the conditions they endure. Their well being should be the principle focus of attention for their elected leaders. In an ideal world!
Old Oct 6th 2015, 10:17 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gunnar45
Yes, the haze is very bad this year, no doubt!
What I meant is that it (sadly) may be forgotten until the next season comes.

Regarding 'the troubadour's feeling that the forum promotes the 'glossing over' of negative comments, I believe this is a forum where participants can post their opinions about just any issue which they may find important.
We who reside here may however be reluctant with getting involved in discussions about local politics and may wish to stay out of such debates.
Same would go for opinions and generalizations on who is to blame for man-made or other natural disasters.

But I don't believe that the information itself, that there indeed are problems like the haze, landslides, flooding, dengue fever, etc in any way is 'not liked' or 'glossed over'.
Actually people who are on the MM2H program (which includes Rodi) freely accepted, as a condition for getting their 10-year visa, that they would not participate in activities that can be considered as sensitive to the local people.

Apart from Rodi, other MM2H'ers are simply respecting their undertaking.
Old Oct 6th 2015, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

meinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Those lazy, hazy days of Summer

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
I do understand the way the American tax system works. I was thinking you could work a little longer (15 years is not very long at all) and then you could afford to retire in the US. In the meantime the IRS could use you tax dollars to pay down the country's debt.
I have worked in both UK and Malaysia for 40 years before getting JUST enough to semi retire. I only wish I had the sense to get a job that paid well enough to retire after 15 years... must be building 787's.
Old Oct 6th 2015, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

Rodi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Those lazy, hazy days of Summer

I do understand the way the American tax system works. I was thinking you could work a little longer (15 years is not very long at all) and then you could afford to retire in the US. In the meantime the IRS could use you tax dollars to pay down the country's debt.
<br />
<br />
Haha<br />
Great post <br />
Not gonna happen but I love the comment on paying down the debt (also not gonna happen but who knows once Trump becomes president)<br />
<br />
Did my time in the cubicle for 30 years. That's all anyone should need to work unless they really love their job and consider it fun. (The lucky few) <br />
At age 50 I should have almost half a life left. Why would I waste another 15 doing brainless work that I hate ? The haze with hi job is still better than the job I hated
Old Oct 6th 2015, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

A good point Meinkl. I remember as a kid in London we had the smog most winters. It took a long time before we got the Clean Air Act and people stopped burning coal. Holland and Germany suffered from the consequences of UK industrial pollution for many more years after that. These things take time and there are many adjustments which affect the people. It may be tough for an asthmatic American looking for a cheap place to live to accept this state of affairs but it's the people who were born here and live here and vote here who have the right to shout and be heard. Anyone else should just move on.
<br /><br /><br /><br />
<br /><br /><br /><br />
I don't disagree (except that I'm not an asthmatic if you are referring to me). I've repeatedly said its up to the citizens of a supposedly democratic nation to change their situation as you mentioned. Things take time and legislation and education. When I grew up everyone smoked everywhere, air pollution was pretty bad and there was still a war in Vietnam. <br /><br />
<br /><br />
My only frustration and main point is the complacency I've witnessed from many people we've encountered here. It's hard for me to wrap my mind around how they love social media and even use it more than the USA, often discussing things other than chit chat yet they specifically stay silent on an issue so important to their future (and us if we stay here) But ultimately you are correct that is up to them not me. But silencing an opinion is not what I'm used to in a world of social media so I try to open dialogue that invokes thought but I suppose most people that can actively protest probably don't read this forum

Last edited by Rodi; Oct 6th 2015 at 11:01 am.
Old Oct 6th 2015, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by meinkl
We... the readers and writers on this forum, by very definition, have the means to choose where to live (within reason and UKIV controls), so the concern should not be the criteria of the nomadic expat, but the plight of the millions of people in SEA that do not have a choice as to where they live and the conditions they endure. Their well being should be the principle focus of attention for their elected leaders. In an ideal world!
<br />
Well spoken. I actually think that's my point. I am one expat that has the freedom to move. I simply doesn't get how 80 million people, most of which don't have the mobility I have, don't stand up and demand better. Closing schools and denying education doesn't sound like a good way to advance the cause for a better SE Asia. Nor is filling up hospitals with respiratory issues. They all deserve better. If anything it's a shame that after 18 years it drags on.
Old Oct 6th 2015, 11:07 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rodi
My only frustration and main point is the complacency I've witnessed from many people we've encountered here. It's hard for me to wrap my mind around how they love social media and even use it more than the USA, often discussing things other than chit chat yet they specifically stay silent on an issue so important to their future (and us if we stay here) But ultimately you are correct that is up to them not me. But silencing an opinion is not what I'm used to in a world of social media so I try to open dialogue that invokes thought but I suppose most people that can actively protest probably don't read this forum
I don't know how many Malaysians you know, Rodi, but the handful that I know have been pretty outspoken on this issue. Having said that, the Asian people generally will accept a lot more than Westerners would except, oddly, a disappearing plane.
Old Oct 6th 2015, 11:13 am
Forum Regular

Actually people who are on the MM2H program (which includes Rodi) freely accepted, as a condition for getting their 10-year visa, that they would not participate in activities that can be considered as sensitive to the local people.

Apart from Rodi, other MM2H'ers are simply respecting their undertaking.
Writing opinions on a forum about air pollution is not participating in activities. Examples would be attending political rallies, disrespecting the local religion and perhaps disrespecting dress codes in public.
Old Oct 6th 2015, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

I don't know how many Malaysians you know, Rodi, but the handful that I know have been pretty outspoken on this issue. Having said that, the Asian people generally will accept a lot more than Westerners would except, oddly, a disappearing plane.
<br />
<br />
Well in that case good for them. I hope they can someday attain a better quality of life through non violent active participation in their local affairs. And believe my you don't wanna get me going on the plane issue (that I suffered through 28 straight days of Anderson Cooper and CNN's panel of morons)
Old Oct 6th 2015, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

OMG... Trump president :-0 ... the haze will pale into insignificence if that happens. Why did you mention that?... now you've made me really depressed! And it had been such a nice, fairly clear, bright, day in KL thus far.
Old Oct 6th 2015, 11:19 am
Forum Regular

OMG... Trump president :-0 ... the haze will pale into insignificence if that happens. Why did you mention that?... now you've made me really depressed! And it had been such a nice, fairly clear, bright, day in KL thus far.
Hopefully the GOP will come to its senses before the first caucus in January. As for American voters, they have no senses. Just guns
Old Oct 6th 2015, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

Now... back to the haze... I heard there was a rally in KL to protest about it, but the haze was so bad nobody could find them.
Old Oct 6th 2015, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

Now... back to the haze... I heard there was a rally in KL to protest about it, but the haze was so bad nobody could find them.
Well it is drizzling at my house so maybe I'll get lucky and see the water form the balcony tomorrow
Old Oct 6th 2015, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

man from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond repute

We as a group of MM2H are never going to change this haze problem, it's totally out our hands, and having worked in Singapore also for many years it's something one has to accept, we are lucky we can travel away, or stay in doors, we are not forced to go to work or school each day, its great for politicians as it takes everyone's mind everything else that they should be worrying about.
Old Oct 6th 2015, 9:56 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Rodi
Writing opinions on a forum about air pollution is not participating in activities. Examples would be attending political rallies, disrespecting the local religion and perhaps disrespecting dress codes in public.
Umm. Not quite so for the MM2H's in Malaysia. BE is a selection of open chat forums and everyone is free to look in , including immigration and govt officials.

There is nothing to stop you debating this issue if you wish. Please note though that if posters in Malaysia do not wish to involve themselves ,it does not mean they do not care or are apathetic. Nor are they ostriches. It means they are being mindful of respecting the visa requirements of their host country.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.