Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Returned to Malaysia - things to do

Returned to Malaysia - things to do

Old Dec 7th 2021, 8:10 am
Just Joined

enjoythesun is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Returned to Malaysia - things to do

I'm about to finish home quarantine after returning to Malaysia. My absence from Malaysia due to border closures, and an expired passport which meant I had not transferred my MM2H visa to the new passport are now behind me. Some help from those with recent experience on the following would be much appreciated.

1. Both my car and scooter have lapsed road tax and insurance. When looking online it would appear I need to take both vehicles to a government inspection depot (after applying for temporary permit to drive there). Wondering whether this is correct or there are some relaxation in rules and can just go to Post Office and pay road tax and insurance there ?
2. Is the renewal section for MM2H still open in KL ? I've entered Malaysia on a tourist stamp in passport (90 days) with supporting approval from MyTRavelPass for MM2H pass holders stranded overseas. I'm in Penang so before heading down to KL would like to make sure it's open.

Any other suggestions or things to consider from those that have gone through what I am about to would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Dec 7th 2021, 12:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returned to Malaysia - things to do

About topic #1: there was a lot of leniency by the government about late renewals, caused by MCOs. However, lately JPJ started to "make noise" that they will become tougher from the end of this month onward. If you would like to renew the insurance at the existing insurance company you could call them and ask what procedure to follow to renew. Having the insurance renewed is a requirement before you can get the road tax renewed. Probably the insurance company can already advise you how to proceed. Otherwise I would just pretend to be the "ignorant foreigner" and show up at the local post office for renewing the road tax. There they can check online whether you have already bought insurance for your vehicle(s).

I can't comment on topic #2.
Old Dec 10th 2021, 5:29 am
BE Enthusiast

RedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond repute

Regarding topic #2 and personal experiences re. Topic #1 maybe post in the Facebook Group MM2H -Malysia My Second Home Programme group. Or the FB group MM2H Penang.
Old Dec 13th 2021, 12:10 pm
Just Joined

enjoythesun is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the suggestion. I went to via an insurance agent and they did insurance plus the road tax ..... locals to locals talking. Cost me a little bit extra but on the road with no hassles..