Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Retirement in Thailand or Malaysia

Retirement in Thailand or Malaysia

Old Sep 27th 2009, 7:31 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retirement in Thailand or Malaysia

Originally Posted by mrfaroukh
What does it mean that we have to report to the police every 90 days in Thailand?
So Aug 25th (posting #4) you don't have a thai visa and clueless about 90 days reporting.

Sep 23rd you have the thai visa. Bloody amazing.

But ho hum how to get a deposit on for 3 months in 1 month.... mmmmm..... g'wan how did you do it?
Old Sep 27th 2009, 1:26 pm
Just Joined

mrfaroukh is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Retirement in Thailand or Malaysia

Originally Posted by bakedbean
So Aug 25th (posting #4) you don't have a thai visa and clueless about 90 days reporting.

Sep 23rd you have the thai visa. Bloody amazing.

But ho hum how to get a deposit on for 3 months in 1 month.... mmmmm..... g'wan how did you do it?
Hello, I was quite clueless about the whole thing, but after some tips from people like you, reading the laws and regulation I got some idea what to do and how to get the visa. But I was still clueless about reporting every 90 days to the police. But I got to know about that too when I did get the visa for one year (one year retirement visa which can be extended every year and after 3 years by paying 190 000 Bath can be changed to resident visa, you must also show that you can speak little Thai at least). I was told by the immigration officer when exactly I have to report again after 3 months, and if we dont then we have to pay some fine. Of course I still do not know what will happen if I am not in Thailand that date???? Or what will happen if I have to leave Thailand for almost a year and come back again before my one year visa is expired.

To get a one year visa was quite easy, you just had to get a letter from Embassy to show that you earn minimum 65000 Bath a month in retirement and you are over 50 years of age. I had to wait in immigration office in Bangkok for almost 2 hours, gave the original letter from Embassy, copy the non immigration visa that I got earlier pluss a copy of passport. I also had to pay 1900 Bath for the visa and 1000 Bath for single re-entry visa. And now I do have a visa until september 2010.

I now have to learn more about how to live here safe and sound. Have to learn about:

1) Which insurance I should get, both health insurance, travel insurance, hous insurance etc.

2) Which bank is the best to use

3) Which credit card to use so you get the best benefits, both for travel insurance and other benefits.

4) How and where to get the best and cheapest house, flat to rent. Is it best to rent fully furnished, semi furnished etc.

5) Which hospital is best the best to use no matter if I live in Bangkok, Pattaya, Phukket or Chain Mai

6) How to find more expact like myself in a city that I am going to live.

7) Plus more

I have realized that the best way to live in a foreign country is to learn about the possibilities, laws and regulations, language. That way you are always prepared in bad times.
Old Sep 28th 2009, 4:48 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

But I got to know about that too when I did get the visa for one year (one year retirement visa which can be extended every year and after 3 years by paying 190 000 Bath can be changed to resident visa, you must also show that you can speak little Thai at least).
Do you want to post a link on the government website about this Mr F? Never heard of it.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 5:11 pm
Just Joined

Razlan is an unknown quantity at this point

Faroukh, good to know you got your one year visa. Maybe you can head down to Malaysia regularly and see for yourself. As for being afraid about "Islamic law" in Malaysia, believe me, there is none. Just go to the clubs here and you'll find out. The Singaporean girl who got busted for drinking alcohol is something we here still cannot understand. It is probably the work of an overzealous religious official. Trust me, if they were to do the same elsewhere in Malaysia, they would probably need to make a prison a hundred times the size of KLCC. So, don't be unduly worried. A lot of things reported in the press (almost all are bad about Malaysia) is overblown. Come over to Malaysia and you'll be fine.
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 1:48 am
Just Joined

Farang9 is an unknown quantity at this point

Did you get banned from ThaiVisa, Chris?
Thailand has no religious discrimination, though there is conflict in the south of the country between majority Muslims, and the Buddhists who are the majority in the rest of the country. Thailand puts more obstacles in teh way of foreigners who wish to retire here - you may not own land, except through a company with a majority of Thai shareholders, or a house or flat, unless in a condominium, with a majority of Thai owners. Also, you can only live here long term on a retirement visa, which must be renewed every year, and requires reporting to the immigration police every 90 days. You also need to show a minimum income or bank balanc in a Thai bank.
Having said all that, Thailand is still a good place to live - with one disadvantage it has in common with Malaysia - the lack of cost of living increments to the UK state pension.
I retired here to Thailand in 1998 for health reasons, and reached pensionable age in 2000, since when my pension has remained static. I paid the full NI contributions throughout my working life, and it seems very unfair that I, like the rest of us who choose not to live in specified countries, should not receive the appropriate benefits, paricularly as we make no demands on the NHS or social services.
The list of countries approved for annual cost of living increases in state pension makes very curious reading:
Barbados, Bermuda, Bosnia Herzegovina, Croatia, Guernsey, Israel, Jamaica, Jersey, Mauritius, Montenegro, Philippines, Serbia, Turkey, USA and the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, plus the EU.
If anyone can see any logic in the inclusion of this hodge-podge, and the exclusion of the rest of the world, I would be glad to know it.
Fingers crossed (without a lot of hope) thet the European court will make the right decision, and the UK DWP will accede to it.
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 5:33 am
Just Joined

Hello, I was quite clueless about the whole thing, but after some tips from people like you, reading the laws and regulation I got some idea what to do and how to get the visa. But I was still clueless about reporting every 90 days to the police. But I got to know about that too when I did get the visa for one year (one year retirement visa which can be extended every year and after 3 years by paying 190 000 Bath can be changed to resident visa, you must also show that you can speak little Thai at least). I was told by the immigration officer when exactly I have to report again after 3 months, and if we dont then we have to pay some fine. Of course I still do not know what will happen if I am not in Thailand that date???? Or what will happen if I have to leave Thailand for almost a year and come back again before my one year visa is expired.

To get a one year visa was quite easy, you just had to get a letter from Embassy to show that you earn minimum 65000 Bath a month in retirement and you are over 50 years of age. I had to wait in immigration office in Bangkok for almost 2 hours, gave the original letter from Embassy, copy the non immigration visa that I got earlier pluss a copy of passport. I also had to pay 1900 Bath for the visa and 1000 Bath for single re-entry visa. And now I do have a visa until september 2010.

I now have to learn more about how to live here safe and sound.
I have realized that the best way to live in a foreign country is to learn about the possibilities, laws and regulations, language. That way you are always prepared in bad times.
If the immigration officer told you that you can get a resident visa after 3 years, he was quoting the law as written. However, you will find that it does not work like that in practice. 20 years ago that was the situation, but now resident visas are extremely restricted, and, according to Phuket Immigration, are NEVER given to retirement visa holders, only to businessmen who have at least $1,000,000 to invest in Thai industry. The immigration officer told me to keep the (non-refundable) application fee which would be lost.
If you have to leave Thailand at any time, remember to get a re-entry permit before you go. When you come back, the 90 days starts to count from the date of re-entry. If you forget to get the re-entry permit, you will have enormous hassle trying to re-start your retirement visa.
Old Oct 4th 2009, 7:07 am
Forum Regular

Chris351 is an unknown quantity at this point

Did you get banned from ThaiVisa, Chris?
Oh Yes ,
I find myself in good company me and quite a few others, ( a thousand, more?) The admin won't answer the question as to how many " members" can actually still post.

Just remember, on TV no critisizing Thailand or any sponsors or more importantly NEVER espouse vehemently any kind of feminist viewpoint nor call any members on their rather apparent proclivities on hired sex.

(AND NO DISCUSSING OF PEDOPHILIA in any way..)

BTW the Bangkok Post has threatened Thai Visa with litigation of any more material is copied from the paper's web site .
Old Oct 4th 2009, 7:10 am
Forum Regular

Chris351 is an unknown quantity at this point

Right mate, so we'll be seeing you on Walking Street then ?
Old Oct 30th 2009, 10:53 am
Just Joined

Travel Ed is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everybody, first of all I am very new here and if I make some mistakes please bear it with me. I am 52 years old retired and planning to find a suitable place to live. I had been once to Bangkok and Pattaya and found the place nice with lovely people around. But I have also heard that Malaysia is also a good place to live in. I appreciate it if those who already been in these places give me some nice honest feed back. If you suggest any of these two countries please let me know why and where to live in that country.

I appreciate some information regarding the cost of living, cost of house or flat both for rent and purchase etc. How should I find the best suitable place to live, restaurant, gym etc. All information regarding driving license, medical insurance, other laws and regulations will be appreciated.

I love night life, am sporty, love good food, and like to live in a safe envirment, interested in good health care system, enjoy happy people around me.

I was also wondering if Malaysia is a strict Islamic country? How is the dress code, drinking, night life, etc for us foreigners? Is it less or more like Thailand or any other Islamic country??

Where in Thailand or Malaysia would be the best choice?

Please send some good links for all types of information.

Thanks in advance
Malaysia is comfortable probably safer but you are limited to area where most of the foreign apartments are etc.
If you like a little nightlife Thailand is your only choice. Beer in bars in Malaysia is expensive. Just dont buy property in Thailand. Keep your head down. Dont leave your brains behind.
I lived there until 2 years ago but going back to Far East next month
Old Nov 1st 2009, 3:20 am

Originally Posted by Travel Ed
Beer in bars in Malaysia is expensive.
We found the beer and wine prices in pubs and food courts in Penang pretty much the same prices as Phuket. Looking at prices of booze in supermarkets, it was a little more expensive in Penang (but better quality wines available - Oz and NZ wines ).
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 12:05 am
Just Joined

We found the beer and wine prices in pubs and food courts in Penang pretty much the same prices as Phuket. Looking at prices of booze in supermarkets, it was a little more expensive in Penang (but better quality wines available - Oz and NZ wines ).
A good range of Oz wines is available in Phuket - but the draconian Thai import tax makes them ridiculously expensive. Better to make a run to the Sadao duty free once a year!
Old Nov 4th 2009, 2:50 am

Bit of a long drive for a couple of bottles though and petrol to burn.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 4:23 am
Just Joined

Bit of a long drive for a couple of bottles though and petrol to burn.
Not if you load up with a few cases!
Old Nov 4th 2009, 4:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Travel Ed
Malaysia is comfortable probably safer but you are limited to area where most of the foreign apartments are etc.
If you like a little nightlife Thailand is your only choice. Beer in bars in Malaysia is expensive. Just dont buy property in Thailand. Keep your head down. Dont leave your brains behind.
I lived there until 2 years ago but going back to Far East next month
Expect you are returning to Thailand? Cambodia has a pretty hectic nightlife also..Found Malaysia the best by far on a people to people basis. Do wonder about Philippines as a country to stay awhile.
Rest of your advice sounds spot on.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 8:13 pm
Just Joined

mrfaroukh is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Farang9
If the immigration officer told you that you can get a resident visa after 3 years, he was quoting the law as written. However, you will find that it does not work like that in practice. 20 years ago that was the situation, but now resident visas are extremely restricted, and, according to Phuket Immigration, are NEVER given to retirement visa holders, only to businessmen who have at least $1,000,000 to invest in Thai industry. The immigration officer told me to keep the (non-refundable) application fee which would be lost.
If you have to leave Thailand at any time, remember to get a re-entry permit before you go. When you come back, the 90 days starts to count from the date of re-entry. If you forget to get the re-entry permit, you will have enormous hassle trying to re-start your retirement visa.
Thank you so much for your good advises. I keep in mind. I may also visit Malaysia to see for myself how it is. I guess the visa system is much better there. 10 years at a time sound great. Many told me that most people also speak English, so we have no hastle of not being understood. I will let you know once I made my enquiries. Thansk again

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.