Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Retirement - Malaysia, Thailand or Phillipines???

Retirement - Malaysia, Thailand or Phillipines???

Old Sep 27th 2005, 9:55 am
Just Joined

ifellfromthesky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Retirement - Malaysia, Thailand or Phillipines???

personnally, i would advise u to consider Singapore.
It may not be as cheap as Thailand, M'sia or Philippines, but it offers a safer environment, better health care facilities and educational environment.

Do check out this forum for more information
KnowingSingapore
Old Sep 30th 2005, 6:54 am
Forum Regular

VanTheMan is an unknown quantity at this point

Exactly. Go for Singapore! It's a nice place although its kinda congested. You will definitely love Singapore.

Originally Posted by ifellfromthesky
personnally, i would advise u to consider Singapore.
It may not be as cheap as Thailand, M'sia or Philippines, but it offers a safer environment, better health care facilities and educational environment.

Do check out this forum for more information
KnowingSingapore
Old Sep 30th 2005, 7:34 am
Just Joined

ifellfromthesky is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by VanTheMan
Exactly. Go for Singapore! It's a nice place although its kinda congested. You will definitely love Singapore.
Er.... Singapore is small and the population is slighlty over 4 million, but its not really congested...
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 5:23 am
Just Joined

prenders88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thailand by far, Easy for retirement visa, good medical facilities, good quality cheap food, excellent transport links, good road network. I'd rent first, you can get a three bedroom house in the North East for about £120 a month.

If you retire here your money will go a long way, no big heating bills, no rip off local tax. Lots of expats moving to Nong Khai, Udon Thani, and Khon Kaen.
Three cities in the North East part of the country, locally called "Issan". All three cities have plenty of nightlife esp: Udon Thani, also has Multiplex cinema, bowling alley, lots of places to eat, nightclubs, and disco's shopping mall, "Center Point" night market with lots of open air cafes.

For more info www.udonmap.com

p88
Old Nov 4th 2005, 3:11 am
Just Joined

Ed Farmer is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree it is Thailand for me. I have lived in the country for 10 years and just love every moment. I serious question. I am coming up to retirement and have had a problem with bank drafts sent direct to the bank taking an age to clear. Any advice on Banks and methods would be appreciated.
Ed

Originally Posted by Simbo
undefined

I live in Thailand, on my 3rd retirement visa now. It's not difficult to get a 12 month retirement visa. all you need is, Either a pension equivalent to 800.000 baht ( 11ooo pounds stirling ) or pension and money in bank to equal this.
Depending on where yo stay, Thailand has everything you could want.
Excellent hospitals at a price. Supermarkets as good as the west and very cheap. Schools are plentiful, run on western lines. It's hot, of course, but thats what we want.
I have a company pension, which fares me well here. In the uk, I would have to do some serious budgeting, but I have a better standard of life here than when I was working in the uk. There are many of us here, and we have a great ex-pats community, playing pool, darts, and generally doing what blokes do.
Hope this has been some help.
Old Nov 4th 2005, 11:36 am
BE Enthusiast

sunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud of

I love the different cultures in Malasia and Thailand and if we were younger and able to absorb a new language, we'd retire there. At our 60's age, learning is not that easy, maybe we've done too many courses along the way and our brains reached saturation! Its ok to say that English is understood in these countries, but the chatting all round you in public places is the local dialect and after a while it can leave you feeling isolated. We tried Spain and picked up a bit of the lingo but not enough, I was actually replying in German at times from my much earlier days living there before a family came along.
Moving to the Philippines is more like our natural culture if not a bit USA, English is widely spoken and living expenses are low. If you've paid into a UK state pension for all your working lives, it will be index linked, unlike living in Malasia or Thailand. Some pensioners have hard luck stories from countries such as Australia and New Zealand.
The middle and upper classe Philippine families live in secure subdevisions, some with swimming pools and sports clubs. Walking around at night poses no problem and much safer than walking round some of our UK places!
Old Nov 6th 2005, 5:10 pm
Just Joined

suziewong62 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Simbo
undefined

I live in Thailand, on my 3rd retirement visa now. It's not difficult to get a 12 month retirement visa. all you need is, Either a pension equivalent to 800.000 baht ( 11ooo pounds stirling ) or pension and money in bank to equal this.
Depending on where yo stay, Thailand has everything you could want.
Excellent hospitals at a price. Supermarkets as good as the west and very cheap. Schools are plentiful, run on western lines. It's hot, of course, but thats what we want.
I have a company pension, which fares me well here. In the uk, I would have to do some serious budgeting, but I have a better standard of life here than when I was working in the uk. There are many of us here, and we have a great ex-pats community, playing pool, darts, and generally doing what blokes do.
Hope this has been some help.

Hi,

could you tell me if the £11,000 is per person or for a married couple. I would like to retire to Thailand with my husband. I am 12 years younger than him and not of retirement age. Any ideas?
Old Jan 9th 2006, 1:32 am
Forum Regular

ejay1 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by sunnydays
I love the different cultures in Malasia and Thailand and if we were younger and able to absorb a new language, we'd retire there. At our 60's age, learning is not that easy, maybe we've done too many courses along the way and our brains reached saturation! Its ok to say that English is understood in these countries, but the chatting all round you in public places is the local dialect and after a while it can leave you feeling isolated. We tried Spain and picked up a bit of the lingo but not enough, I was actually replying in German at times from my much earlier days living there before a family came along.
Moving to the Philippines is more like our natural culture if not a bit USA, English is widely spoken and living expenses are low. If you've paid into a UK state pension for all your working lives, it will be index linked, unlike living in Malasia or Thailand. Some pensioners have hard luck stories from countries such as Australia and New Zealand.
The middle and upper classe Philippine families live in secure subdevisions, some with swimming pools and sports clubs. Walking around at night poses no problem and much safer than walking round some of our UK places!
LOL have you ever been called a kano?? LOL most filipinos who have never left the country would think anyone who is caucasian is kano, short for Amerikano.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 6:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

sunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ejay1
LOL have you ever been called a kano?? LOL most filipinos who have never left the country would think anyone who is caucasian is kano, short for Amerikano.
Yes, when I bussed it round South America and crossed many dried up river beds in rickety old busses. I would be asked to leave the bus at army checkpoints to sign their books,...it was always the "Americano"..somewhat irritating.
I made the mistake of jumping ahead of the n'th checkpoint to do the usual and the guy cocked his rifle at me....yuk, ...but I always had a cheery salute goodbye..
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 10:45 am
Just Joined

David_LivingInCebu has a brilliant futureDavid_LivingInCebu has a brilliant futureDavid_LivingInCebu has a brilliant futureDavid_LivingInCebu has a brilliant futureDavid_LivingInCebu has a brilliant futureDavid_LivingInCebu has a brilliant future
Default Re: Retirement - Malaysia, Thailand or Philippines???

Originally Posted by Mayahani
I would like an honest opinion between Malaysia, Thailand and Philippines which is a better place for retirement?? which country is offer better health treatments, education and etc.

Your suggestions is much appreciated.

Thanking you in advance.
I would suggest joining some Yahoo Groups or Forums dedicated to providing information to Foreigners in each of these countries.

Having said that I moved to Cebu in the Philippines in May 2001, and have been living here ever since. I had not done any research other than having made several business trips to Manila, Bangkok, and Kuala Lumpor. I have also had holidays several times in Malaysia and Holiday in Cebu.

In my opinion Malaysia - Kuala Lumpur is nicer than Manila or Bangkok. I also feel Malaysia is best geared up for Tourism followed by Thailand, then Philippines. Having said that there are nice beaches and accommodation in some parts of the Philippines, it's just not marketed and promoted that well by the Philippines Department of Tourism.

There are many British and other Foreigners who have decided to retire in Cebu, Philippines (and other places, but I do have nearly so much knowledge on them).

Cebu's weather is relatively moderate, having no distinct wet and dry season, the perfect vacation spot for seasons. One can bask under the sunshine the whole year through since Cebu is blessed with a tropical climate with a generally fair temperature range of between 23 –33°C (73-91°F). Coolest temperature can be felt in January and warmest in May. Cebu is also sufficiently far South to avoid most of the Storms/Typhoons experienced up North of the Philippines at certain times of the year.

Another consideration for Cebu is that it is in the Central Visayas - surrounded by other islands/land masses, so unlike to suffer any 'hits' from Tsunami!

The Filipinos, smiling and happy and very many speak English (American). The Filipinas in particular are very warm, loving, sexy brown beauties. I guess that is why I married one and have retired here in Cebu.

The other big factor is the low cost of living. It is a fraction the cost of living in the UK for example. I know because I retired at age 50 by cashing in my Private Pensions. I tool the maximum 25% Tax Free Cash Lump Sum Option from the non-protected elements part of these Private Pensions and converted the balance to Annuity paying only £3,000 a year! How far would that get you in the UK? Here in Cebu that converts to about Php22,000 a month, and a couple can easily live off that if you already have a house to live in.

I noticed someone saying the Philippines has crime and corruption! Tell me anywhere in the World that does not? The truth is there is some crime and corruption here. The corruption is reducing with the Philippine Government Departments introducing Computerised systems. In the nearly 5 years I have been living here in Cebu, not once robbed or attacked or swindled. Our house has never been broken into and things stolen either (we dont leave it empty though!).

Health care is good here, and many treatments can be significantly cheaper than Europe/UK etc.

For example my son visited us here in Cebu and lost his glasses (fell into lake at Kawasan Falls). Being short sited and unable to find them, he needed replacements. Spectacles are lot cheaper than UK but my son decided to try Lasik Laser eye surgery having spoken to some friends of mine who had such treatment here in Cebu. This cost just Php50,000 (managed to get additional discount of Php5,000 for members of my Yahoo Group - Cebu_BritClub, so only Php45,000). He is very well pleased with the results being able to see as soon as he wakes up and go swimming - without needing glasses. Dental Surgery is lot cheaper here also - many Australians come for that reason. The flights, the hotel, food, drinks and the treatment is less than back in Oz, so they get free holiday, teeth fixed up and a bit of spare change!

Having said that though my asawa's (wife) Mother was taken ill and rushed to Hospital. She was diagnosed as having Pneumonia and 50/50 chance of living. The Hospital, the doctors together with treatment and drugs saved her life. She was not covered by Phil Health (my wife is now applying as we learnt dependant parents can be covered on her membership - this could have covered 25-35% of the bill) and the total cost of her treatment was Php120,000! If you are not generally a healthy person, this needs to be taken into consideration and health insurance considered to help cover the costs - drugs mainly!

Education here in the Philippines seems no where near as good as say the UK. Then again one could say the standards of education in the UK has slipped over last 40 years? Private Schooling is available and 'resonable standard' but relatively expensive. Putting my step daughter through San Carlos University for example, was about Php30,00-Php40,000 a year!

Cebu, being second largest City in the Philippines (and once the capitol), has many of the modern day 'trappings' of Manilla/Makati, but perhaps on smaller scale. There are large air conditioned malls with all major shops, restaurants and bars/night clubs. There are Cinemas, Bowling, and other forms of recreation. Cost of eating and drinking out is very reasonable, as is the cost of Taxi transport - Php30min. Lots of things to see and do here in Cebu, as well as being able to buy just about everything you likely to need and want.

I hope this has given you some ideas and info releated to Cebu, Philippines.

As I said you can probably get more in-depth answers to specific questions related to living here (Cebu, Philippines) from the following websites:-

www.livinginthephilippines.com (Rose tinted persective - no crime or corruption here!).
www.cebuliving.com/forums (Very informative Furum with information grouped into different topics)

www.wayblima.com (informative portal for locals and foreighners alike).

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/liveincebu/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/livingincebu/ (Both these restarted after the original Yahoo Group 'LinC' got deleted - dont know which will survive and become best sourse of information yet - check membership numbers?).

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Philip...land_Paradise/ With over 3000 members - this group must be doing something right and also not specific to Cebu).

http://www.au.groups.yahoo.com/group...isephilippines (Non PC look at what it's really like to live in the Philippines - no rose tinted perspective here!)http://groups.yahoo.com/group/philippinedreams1 (Run by same guy Perry Gamsby, now back in Oz. Provides monthly e-zines and other books with useful, informative and enjoyable reading due Perry's humouristic writing style).

Finally if you hold a British passport (ths is not to be elitist or snobbish, it's just to keep the message post content on topic we can all relate to, some of the other Yahoo Groups are Phil-Am dominent most of the time!), you can join http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cebu_britclub

Hope this information helps - but nothing beats taking an extended holiday in each of these countiries to find out what it's really like.

Cheers

David
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

ejay1 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by David_LivingInCebu
I would suggest joining some Yahoo Groups or Forums dedicated to providing information to Foreigners in each of these countries.

Having said that I moved to Cebu in the Philippines in May 2001, and have been living here ever since. I had not done any research other than having made several business trips to Manila, Bangkok, and Kuala Lumpor. I have also had holidays several times in Malaysia and Holiday in Cebu.

In my opinion Malaysia - Kuala Lumpur is nicer than Manila or Bangkok. I also feel Malaysia is best geared up for Tourism followed by Thailand, then Philippines. Having said that there are nice beaches and accommodation in some parts of the Philippines, it's just not marketed and promoted that well by the Philippines Department of Tourism.

There are many British and other Foreigners who have decided to retire in Cebu, Philippines (and other places, but I do have nearly so much knowledge on them).

Cebu's weather is relatively moderate, having no distinct wet and dry season, the perfect vacation spot for seasons. One can bask under the sunshine the whole year through since Cebu is blessed with a tropical climate with a generally fair temperature range of between 23 –33°C (73-91°F). Coolest temperature can be felt in January and warmest in May. Cebu is also sufficiently far South to avoid most of the Storms/Typhoons experienced up North of the Philippines at certain times of the year.

Another consideration for Cebu is that it is in the Central Visayas - surrounded by other islands/land masses, so unlike to suffer any 'hits' from Tsunami!

The Filipinos, smiling and happy and very many speak English (American). The Filipinas in particular are very warm, loving, sexy brown beauties. I guess that is why I married one and have retired here in Cebu.

The other big factor is the low cost of living. It is a fraction the cost of living in the UK for example. I know because I retired at age 50 by cashing in my Private Pensions. I tool the maximum 25% Tax Free Cash Lump Sum Option from the non-protected elements part of these Private Pensions and converted the balance to Annuity paying only £3,000 a year! How far would that get you in the UK? Here in Cebu that converts to about Php22,000 a month, and a couple can easily live off that if you already have a house to live in.

I noticed someone saying the Philippines has crime and corruption! Tell me anywhere in the World that does not? The truth is there is some crime and corruption here. The corruption is reducing with the Philippine Government Departments introducing Computerised systems. In the nearly 5 years I have been living here in Cebu, not once robbed or attacked or swindled. Our house has never been broken into and things stolen either (we dont leave it empty though!).

Health care is good here, and many treatments can be significantly cheaper than Europe/UK etc.

For example my son visited us here in Cebu and lost his glasses (fell into lake at Kawasan Falls). Being short sited and unable to find them, he needed replacements. Spectacles are lot cheaper than UK but my son decided to try Lasik Laser eye surgery having spoken to some friends of mine who had such treatment here in Cebu. This cost just Php50,000 (managed to get additional discount of Php5,000 for members of my Yahoo Group - Cebu_BritClub, so only Php45,000). He is very well pleased with the results being able to see as soon as he wakes up and go swimming - without needing glasses. Dental Surgery is lot cheaper here also - many Australians come for that reason. The flights, the hotel, food, drinks and the treatment is less than back in Oz, so they get free holiday, teeth fixed up and a bit of spare change!

Having said that though my asawa's (wife) Mother was taken ill and rushed to Hospital. She was diagnosed as having Pneumonia and 50/50 chance of living. The Hospital, the doctors together with treatment and drugs saved her life. She was not covered by Phil Health (my wife is now applying as we learnt dependant parents can be covered on her membership - this could have covered 25-35% of the bill) and the total cost of her treatment was Php120,000! If you are not generally a healthy person, this needs to be taken into consideration and health insurance considered to help cover the costs - drugs mainly!

Education here in the Philippines seems no where near as good as say the UK. Then again one could say the standards of education in the UK has slipped over last 40 years? Private Schooling is available and 'resonable standard' but relatively expensive. Putting my step daughter through San Carlos University for example, was about Php30,00-Php40,000 a year!

Cebu, being second largest City in the Philippines (and once the capitol), has many of the modern day 'trappings' of Manilla/Makati, but perhaps on smaller scale. There are large air conditioned malls with all major shops, restaurants and bars/night clubs. There are Cinemas, Bowling, and other forms of recreation. Cost of eating and drinking out is very reasonable, as is the cost of Taxi transport - Php30min. Lots of things to see and do here in Cebu, as well as being able to buy just about everything you likely to need and want.

I hope this has given you some ideas and info releated to Cebu, Philippines.

As I said you can probably get more in-depth answers to specific questions related to living here (Cebu, Philippines) from the following websites:-

www.livinginthephilippines.com (Rose tinted persective - no crime or corruption here!).
www.cebuliving.com/forums (Very informative Furum with information grouped into different topics)

www.wayblima.com (informative portal for locals and foreighners alike).

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/liveincebu/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/livingincebu/ (Both these restarted after the original Yahoo Group 'LinC' got deleted - dont know which will survive and become best sourse of information yet - check membership numbers?).

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Philip...land_Paradise/ With over 3000 members - this group must be doing something right and also not specific to Cebu).

http://www.au.groups.yahoo.com/group...isephilippines (Non PC look at what it's really like to live in the Philippines - no rose tinted perspective here!)http://groups.yahoo.com/group/philippinedreams1 (Run by same guy Perry Gamsby, now back in Oz. Provides monthly e-zines and other books with useful, informative and enjoyable reading due Perry's humouristic writing style).

Finally if you hold a British passport (ths is not to be elitist or snobbish, it's just to keep the message post content on topic we can all relate to, some of the other Yahoo Groups are Phil-Am dominent most of the time!), you can join http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cebu_britclub

Hope this information helps - but nothing beats taking an extended holiday in each of these countiries to find out what it's really like.

Cheers

David
Nice sales pitch of the Philippines. LOL you should work for the DOT.
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 5:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nice sales pitch of the Philippines. LOL you should work for the DOT

What we need now is to get Easy Jet interested for cheap flights ??

...of course you'd need to bring a cushion to ease you through 15hrs hehe

Old Feb 22nd 2006, 11:41 pm
Just Joined

David_LivingInCebu has a brilliant futureDavid_LivingInCebu has a brilliant futureDavid_LivingInCebu has a brilliant futureDavid_LivingInCebu has a brilliant futureDavid_LivingInCebu has a brilliant futureDavid_LivingInCebu has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ejay1
Nice sales pitch of the Philippines. LOL you should work for the DOT.
I dont work for anyone - I'm retired at Age 50!

What are you doing?

David
Old Mar 5th 2006, 4:59 am
Just Joined

Jollytinker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Retirement - Singapore

Safe yes but very expensive in terms of housing, second only to Hong Kong which has gone stratospheric again.
Old Mar 5th 2006, 8:57 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Retirement - Singapore

Originally Posted by Jollytinker
Safe yes but very expensive in terms of housing, second only to Hong Kong which has gone stratospheric again.
I enjoyed visiting Singapore on my numerous business trips, and would have prefered being based in Singapore, rather than Hong Kong.

It seemed less crowded and cleaner than Hong Kong. I would not have thought it much cheaper if any to live, than Hong Kong, and certainly more than Malaysia, Thailand or Philippines.

Cost of drinks in Bars is certainly higher than in Hong Kong. If you are a 'smoker', you will find bars you can smoke at - but wont be serving food! Those serving food wont let you smoke!

What I liked about Singapore the most (especially compared to Hong Kong whwere I was based), was that English was the language in the office, in the bars, restaurants, trains, buses, taxis. The 'locals' only switched to their 'native tongue' when they got to their homes with their families. As a Brit in Singapore, you somehow felt like you fitted in, and were accepted (whereas in Hong Kong they would speak Cantonese, switching to English just to ask you a question!).

Here in the Philippines, they do speak Tagalog, or here in Cebu, Visayan in the main. But some words here and there are in English (because they dont have an equivalent word, or just because it fits better - some switch to English mid conversation as if it re-inforces status or something?

Living here I am picking up something of Visayan and can sometimes get the 'jist' of a conversation topic, if not the 'details'. They find it 'uncanny' that I join in their conversation (in English) adding my view on the 'topic', and they think I understood the lot as what I said was seemingly relevant?

For me, Singapore would be nice place to live if I was able to secure a good salary job there, It's also nice for a holiday (took my daughter there). Not sure I would want to retire there though - too expensive. Better to retire in Malasia, as cheaper, and visit?

Cheers,

David.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.