British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/)
-   -   Retain mobile phone Number when away. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/retain-mobile-phone-number-when-away-712653/)

Strider24 Apr 9th 2011 5:22 am

Retain mobile phone Number when away.

Keeping your Mobile phone number active while away can be an issue.

I have just found that DiGi have a special deal for prepaid customers called "super long life".

To get this either port your number to DiGi or convert DiGi postpaid to Prepaid, pay RM40 for which you get a new sim card, 365days active number and RM10 of credit. Also credits do not run out within that year, you are given an SMS reminder getting close to anniversary and I just need to top up when needed. For light users and those travelling overseas a good option.

In addition I now find that if I spend RM1 in any given day, then SMS to other DiGi mobiles cost only 0.01 sen and calls 0.12 sen/min to any mobile. Best of all, I don't have to worry about the crazy accounting system all telco's around the world have, which makes statements near impossible to read and logically understand.:thumbsup:

Atilla May 23rd 2011 9:48 pm

Re: Retain mobile phone Number when away.

Think this has dropped to RM30 now. Handy to guarantee keeping the number valid too.

Strider24 May 23rd 2011 10:52 pm

When I set up my super long life on Digi, I paid RM30 (min required credit) plus a one off per year RM10 for the long life service. I take ages to use RM30 of credit so works well for me.:thumbsup:

Atilla May 23rd 2011 10:59 pm

Bit confused now? What does the Super Long Life do that the Long Life doesn't? Does one prolong the SIM and one the credit?? Most of the credit I used in Penang went on the RM15 Internet Unlimited Weekly but I did also burn through hundreds of SMS.

They have a link here indicating it can be done remotely but I cant see anything about the extra RM 10 or what it does the SLL doesn't?

Strider24 May 23rd 2011 11:03 pm

Sorry thats me with terminology. Its all the same and I think the correct term is super long life, which retains unused credit for up to a year at a time and as a consequence retains the phone number

Atilla May 23rd 2011 11:08 pm

Ah fine, no probs. I can there is an RM30 charge and suppose you mean the RM was for calling credit. Will do a 'conversion' I think as it will be better than constantly dropping RM10 to keep it active and losing it if you don't use. That said I hope to be back ASAP :thumbsup:

Strider24 May 23rd 2011 11:13 pm

Its only RM10 per year to keep it active and I really like the unused credits not running out as I can get back to the country, put the DiGi SIM back in and start calling immediately...no matter if I have been away half a year.:thumbup:

Atilla May 23rd 2011 11:20 pm

:confused: Ah. I can see this:

http://www.digi.com.my/prepaid/reload.do

Which is RM30 to 'convert' to SLL but cant see anything else about needing to pay RM 10 for anything. It's late though and I may be missing something??

Strider24 May 23rd 2011 11:42 pm

Aha seems things have changed a bit. Still a good deal. Have you checked your balance afterwards to see if any other charge has been deducted? Service may now:fingerscrossed: be a freeby.

Atilla May 24th 2011 7:00 am

Thanks. Thought I was going a bit loopy, or more loopy :)

I'll try a top up in the next few days and see what I happens when I convert. Getting someone to pick up a few more vouchers for me as I burned through the ones I did get quicker than I thought!! It seems they charge RM2 for an overseas SMS when their site says 50 sen. I've dropped a service query to them to check.