Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Resident Pass - good idea?

Resident Pass - good idea?

Old Oct 19th 2021, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

ChrisC1955 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Resident Pass - good idea?

Hi everyone! Advise and experiences please. I’ve had my Long Term Social Visit Pass for 3 years (1 year at a time!) and I wonder whether applying for Resident status is a good move or not. One advantage would certainly be not having to drag ourselves down to Jalan Duta every 12 months but what other merits or demerits are there?
Is tax status affected? I’ve been working in Vietnam and my other income is in the form of various pensions paid into U.K. banks which I transfer as and when I need. Would these become taxable as a resident?
Any and all observations and advice will be gratefully received.
TIA
Chris
Old Oct 21st 2021, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

IanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really nice
Default Re: Resident Pass - good idea?

Not sure of the pros/cons of the residence pass but can you not get longer on LTSVP? I know it depends on the officer on the day, last 2x I got 2 years after asking for 5. This time the officer at the desk said cannot get 5 anymore and to ask for 3 which will be the plan next time.
Old Oct 21st 2021, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

Hi Ian, yes my plan is to ask for the maximum this time. I’d really like to know about residency. It’s all a bit opaque - like most things! I think if you’re not “earning” in Malaysia you still don’t pay income tax even though you’re resident for tax purposes.
Old Oct 21st 2021, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

IanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really nice

Originally Posted by ChrisC1955
Hi Ian, yes my plan is to ask for the maximum this time. I’d really like to know about residency. It’s all a bit opaque - like most things! I think if you’re not “earning” in Malaysia you still don’t pay income tax even though you’re resident for tax purposes.
You have to apply for an income tax number. I did that, then told HMRC I was not resident in UK gave them a copy of my Malaysian details and had to return a form from them signed by the Malaysian tax office. I fill in a return here every year.
Old Oct 21st 2021, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

Now that’s interesting! Do you pay income tax on income that comes from overseas?
Old Oct 21st 2021, 11:18 pm
Forum Regular

As far as I can recall there is not a place not the Malaysian tax from for overseas income so no. I am, however, retired so there is no employment income and pensions are specifically excluded from Malaysian tax.
Old Oct 22nd 2021, 2:54 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Ian. Good to know.