Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

recommendations short break destinations in Malaysia?

recommendations short break destinations in Malaysia?

Old Mar 2nd 2011, 3:12 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: recommendations short break destinations in Malaysia?

Just to add to strider.

I reckon a two man boat such as an enterprise or an albacore is ideal to learn on/in.
So sailing club rather than yacht club.
A bigger boat such as a yacht is fine once you have a feel for the rudiments, wind direction, tacking, whether to push or pull the tiller etc. Just remembering that I learned the basics of tacking on land with a broomstick tied to the top of a dust bin.
I found that even when I could sail then the first time on a yacht was a bit daunting, mind you we were in a RORC race and we did win our class, but luckily it was a sailing school yacht so not too much shouting and swearing.

Great fun and I wish I'd taken it up when I was younger and continued with it longer.
Just remembering again. Even though I only sailed for maybe 5 years off and on I have some great but boring memories of it and the people involved.

Last edited by ex reg; Mar 2nd 2011 at 3:16 am.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 3:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Strider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud of

I don't know the Albacore, but agree the Enterprise is a great boat to learn, race and just have fun in. (Actually having just Googled the Albacore, it looks a fun boat) http://www.albacore.org.uk/alb/
The reason I mentioned a Laser, is it only has a few stings to pull, but they are basic and all do something to make the boat go better. I apply the same principles of sail shape, mast rake, angle to wind, vang and outhaul tension etc to any boat I'm on.

Some Yacht Clubs also have dingy sailing as well and RSYC Pt Klang is one.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 7:40 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

New thread required?
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Strider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud of

Not really, unless you want Ex Reg and myself to do sailing lessons via correspondence!!!
Old Mar 4th 2011, 10:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Atilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really nice

@ Bakedbean: Totally OT - did you see the PM I sent?
Old Mar 5th 2011, 5:15 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hi atilla I'm on the road at moment on my teeny iPod . Will check pm when I can get back on a computer or if I can shrink my fingers
Old Jan 29th 2012, 10:07 am
Just Joined

bryannn is an unknown quantity at this point

Spotted that this thread veered into yachting. You all aware that Tioman is the scene for the inaugural Round Tioman Challenge? It's just a few short months away, in fact.

I haven't heard any new buzz for a while, but it looks like it's going ahead. I reckon it may well put Tioman on the map. Well, in any case, the yachting community's map.

I, for one, will be there. I hope the Southwest too.
Old Jan 29th 2012, 11:01 pm
ajw

Location: Melbourne - London - Bangkok - Melbourne - Kuala Lumpur - Melbourne
ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone else of the opinion that Langkawi is overpriced? I think it'd been setup as a destination for the wealthier overseas travellers. I think its a nice spot but you can get better value for money elsewhere
Old Jan 31st 2012, 12:18 pm

yes agree with that