British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/)
-   -   recommendations short break destinations in Malaysia? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/recommendations-short-break-destinations-malaysia-705890/)

joamelie Feb 18th 2011 6:48 am

recommendations short break destinations in Malaysia?

Well we have been in KL for a couple of months now and generally it has all been great. Now it's time to start thinking about a holiday! We want to stay in Malaysia this time as it will only be for 4 or 5 nights....but where to go:confused: It's not that i'm short of ideas, it's that everywhere looks so fantastic that we can't decide where to go first:o
My husband loves diving, i'm happy on a beach with a book but love the forests here too, and i have a 6 year old who is happy as long as they have a pool. Don't mind driving or a short flight.
Any ideas or recommendations?
Thanks

OzSheila Feb 18th 2011 7:11 am

Re: recommendations short break destinations in Malaysia?

Originally Posted by joamelie (Post 9184787)
Well we have been in KL for a couple of months now and generally it has all been great. Now it's time to start thinking about a holiday! We want to stay in Malaysia this time as it will only be for 4 or 5 nights....but where to go:confused: It's not that i'm short of ideas, it's that everywhere looks so fantastic that we can't decide where to go first:o
My husband loves diving, i'm happy on a beach with a book but love the forests here too, and i have a 6 year old who is happy as long as they have a pool. Don't mind driving or a short flight.
Any ideas or recommendations?
Thanks

Redang Island. Consistently rated as the best island in Malaysia. Visited a couple of years ago on a 5 day, 4 night package. Lovely beach, quiet, OH likes diving but this time we only snorkelled and it was great - altho a little crowded.

Place OH would really like to go to is Sipadan where the diving is supposed to be fab. I think I may get a little bored tho.

Off to Penang for the first time in 30 years in April so I will let you know.;)

OH grew up in Kuching altho we havent been back for about 20 odd years there are some nice beaches nearby.

Langkawi is nice for a few days.

No reason why you couldnt get to other Asian countries even if only for 4/5 days eg highly recommend Vietnam, Thailand, Singapore. Look at AirAsia website for suggestions.

HTH

bakedbean Feb 18th 2011 9:06 am

I think OzSheila has pretty much covered a lot of the best spots.

I guess the first question is. When are you planning to go? Generally speaking, and you prob already know this, East coast of mainland gets the north east monsoon big time. But that should be finishing soon? Or maybe it's already finished? So could be a great time to do the beaches down that side. Bear in mind that some of the north-east is "dry" (drinkwise) I have been told. Tioman is supposed to be lovely. I've not been over the East side yet.

Langkawi definitely do it. It can be a bit expensive accommodation wise, but gorgeous beaches and very laidback.

Penang is great. Of course I'm going to say that ;) But if you are set on Just Beaches, go to Langkawi. Penang great for Georgetown and all the history, some quite nice beaches along Tg Bungah but not on the same scale as Langkawi. Bt Ferringhi is not to everyone's taste - it depends what you're looking for - but they're trying to get it looking better I believe.

stranded traveller Feb 19th 2011 1:30 pm

Why don't you hit to Perhentian Island? they're pretty much nice to diving....

joamelie Feb 21st 2011 12:44 am

Thanks everyone for your suggestion. We are going in April so I think East coast this time and keep west coast for later in the year.
I'm off to have a look at Redang, and the perhertian islands. Fingers crossed I'm more decessive today!

stranded traveller Feb 21st 2011 7:43 am

Originally Posted by joamelie (Post 9190296)
Thanks everyone for your suggestion. We are going in April so I think East coast this time and keep west coast for later in the year.
I'm off to have a look at Redang, and the perhertian islands. Fingers crossed I'm more decessive today!

Thats awesome ! enjoying your holiday:)

joamelie Feb 21st 2011 11:45 pm

It's booked...Tioman Islands....they all looked lovely so we pulled a name out of the hat...literally!
Looking forward to 5 nights over easter of peace and quiet...oh, i forgot we are taking kids...no chance then!:rofl:

ex reg Feb 22nd 2011 1:11 am

Originally Posted by joamelie (Post 9192583)
It's booked...Tioman Islands....they all looked lovely so we pulled a name out of the hat...literally!
Looking forward to 5 nights over easter of peace and quiet...oh, i forgot we are taking kids...no chance then!:rofl:

Been 15 years or so since we've been there.
Peace and quiet were in plentiful supply then.

5 nights would have been a long time there back then.
Hope it's changed.

Best bit was the flight to Tioman from Seletar.

joamelie Feb 23rd 2011 12:13 am

5 nights peace and quiet sounds heavenly...must leave laptop and phone at home! A glass of wine, some diving and snorkeling and i'll be happy:thumbsup:
Thanks all for your suggestions!

stranded traveller Feb 23rd 2011 2:59 am

Joemaly,

Wish I could join you then...

Strider24 Mar 1st 2011 9:16 am

If you can wrangle your way onto a yacht, its some of the best yachting waters in the world, with islands everywhere you look. :thumbup:

joamelie Mar 2nd 2011 2:04 am

Originally Posted by Strider24 (Post 9209948)
If you can wrangle your way onto a yacht, its some of the best yachting waters in the world, with islands everywhere you look. :thumbup:

I've always wanted to learn to sail! Can you recommend a sailing school?

kayla_jai Mar 2nd 2011 2:09 am

Langkawi is Beautifull. perfect for a relaxing beach holiday. Lots of beach activities such as diving etc for hubby. We had the added bonus of our own personall tour guide (a friends partner who is Malaysian
This year we are off to Thailand 3 weeks to go :D our 1st family holiday with our 18 month old daughter.
Has anybody been to thailand or malaysia with young children before?

Strider24 Mar 2nd 2011 2:37 am

Originally Posted by joamelie (Post 9211831)
I've always wanted to learn to sail! Can you recommend a sailing school?

I believe Royal Selangor Yacht Club does some sail training, but really its more a case of simply getting on a boat with a competent sailor and learn the hard way.

The decision is what type of yacht. Dingy's are fun and wet. Again you can either opt for 1 man or 2+ men dingy's. I suggest that the later is better to learn rudimentary skills, but a single man teaches you to really sail. The "Laser" is probably the best of these.

Bigger boats are often easier to get onto, as they are often looking for crew and again a very good way to learn. While there are catamaran's or multihulls (which are very smooth and quite fast) the common type is monohull and these can be seriously exciting.

Find a member of a yacht club and get yourself invited for a sail. Even put your name on the notice board as beginner crew available.

You will either love it or hate it as there doesn't seem to be much middle ground. If you like it, 10:1 you will become a "regular" on a boat and your skills will improve with time and its a sport you can do from cradle to grave.

bakedbean Mar 2nd 2011 2:59 am

Originally Posted by kayla_jai (Post 9211839)
This year we are off to Thailand 3 weeks to go :D our 1st family holiday with our 18 month old daughter.

Which part of Thailand are you going to? We're off on a road trip very soon... Penang to Phuket via Trang :unsure: