Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Qeustions KL and Penang??

Qeustions KL and Penang??

Old May 19th 2011, 11:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Strider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Qeustions KL and Penang??

Hi Bakedbean,

Streamyx in KL, but I don't use the land line for calls and so only pay RM1 per month for line rental admin cost. Its a heavy deposit they demanded which is offputting, but I signed for 1000kps and usually get more with hardly a hiccup.

In Penang I'm using the free wireless Celcom in the complex which is as slow as Maxis although more reliable. Still don't like it and eventually I will get streamyx in Penang as well. The only good thing about Penang is to get a decent reception I can sit watching the gym and people flogging their heart out, which reinforces my belief that I'm sure the pain is not worth it

Currently in Brisbane using DoDo wireless broadband, which is akin to Maxis and Celcom. I saw the Australian PM open the first A$43b fibreoptic system on the mainland to all 7 people who had signed up for it. Good value. As good as paying A$122m to ship 800 unwanted illegal immigrats to Malaysia and take 4000 back in return. Someone has to show these idiots how to negotiate me thinks...sorry off subject.
Old May 19th 2011, 12:20 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks strider. Will prob go for streamyx. I know that penangfon is also highly rated but not available at some condos
Old May 23rd 2011, 8:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Atilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really nice

For pre-paid sim I used Digi in Penang. Their credits last quite a long time (I put full details on my blog). The RM 100 lasts 3-4 months IIRC, RM 50 maybe two months or so. They also do an excellent internet subscription if you use a smart phone which costs RM15 per week. Coverage was very good in KL and Penang and mobile internet very good.
Old May 23rd 2011, 10:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Strider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud of

...as I mentioned before, for an extra 1 off a year of RM10, DiGi prepaid unused credits will last a year. They don't advertise this, so need to ask, but its a great deal
Old May 24th 2011, 2:35 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atilla
For pre-paid sim I used Digi in Penang. Their credits last quite a long time (I put full details on my blog). The RM 100 lasts 3-4 months IIRC, RM 50 maybe two months or so. They also do an excellent internet subscription if you use a smart phone which costs RM15 per week. Coverage was very good in KL and Penang and mobile internet very good.
Be careful you pick the right provider for the area you're going to be in (in Penang). I have been told that by many people living here. In other words, ask around.

We're currently up Tg Bungah hillside renting and I use the free condo internet when working. When it's not, we have a Digi dongle, but coverage is pretty crappy. I heard from someone that Streamyx is pretty good coverage along the Tg Bungah-Tg Tokong main road stretch, so we'll probably go for that, and need a landline anyway.
Old May 24th 2011, 6:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Atilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really nice
Default Re: Questions KL and Penang??

Originally Posted by leavinggoa
I'll be in Malaysia for a month. I'll buy a SIM card at KLIA on arrival. I understand you can get a card valid for 1 month. Which provider is best?
Has anyone hired a scooter recently in KL and Penang? I need a rough idea on prices please. Cheers
The point I was making abou Digi was in relation to the OPs original question regarding a SIM to pick up at the airport. Clearly for protracted Internet service provision etc you woul need to take into account even more criteria. Several of the friends I have there have their own businesses and each of those carried two phones, Digi with a Maxis back-up, to ensure they were contactable as much as possible.