Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Properties - build quality in the Tropics

Properties - build quality in the Tropics

Old Apr 26th 2016, 11:22 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Properties - build quality in the Tropics

There used to be some great threads going in the old MM2H forum fuelled by some retired architects, retired electricians.

My viewpoint has changed a little bit over the years here.

There has always been, in Penang at least, a kind of perception that the older condos built 15 years ago are better quality. They were built in the days before they were throwing them up and cutting costs. What's your view?

I personally think you get problems all round for a variety of reasons. New buildings always seem to get a few teething problems, though usually covered by warranty.

Old buildings get other problems.... pipework, electrics. And there's the factor of the weather here...hot temperatures, continual high humidity that doesn't sit well with buildings.

I remember someone telling me that, in Singapore, they think to tear down any old buildings over 30 years old

I was discussing "leaky walls" with a local guy recently and he didn't bat an eyelid, seemed to think this was quite a normal problem in Penang due to the extreme humidity and that combined with monsoons.
Old Apr 27th 2016, 3:09 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Properties - build quality in the Tropics

Originally Posted by bakedbean
...There has always been, in Penang at least, a kind of perception that the older condos built 15 years ago are better quality. They were built in the days before they were throwing them up and cutting costs. What's your view?
I think it's probably true. But some Penang developers have a much better reputation for build quality than others.

I think some significant problems, especially if buying an older condo are:

Malaysians prefer to buy new. So re-selling your unit becomes increasingly difficult as it ages, particularly once it’s ten or more years old, and because there’s already a glut of newly built condos.

The Malaysian attitude towards renovation appears to be far more reactive than proactive, and the locals can be very reluctant to spend on anything that doesn’t directly affect them, such as a leaking condo roof, or water pipes. This short-sighted attitude is something I don’t understand. Spend money on renovation? No. Why lah?

Older properties deteriorate fast if not properly maintained. Once the developer hands over to the housing management committee (made up of Owner volunteers) and its Managing Agent the rot starts, that is unless you are very lucky.

There’s little to no long term planning for renovations, no proper budget planning, poor collection of Maintenance Charges / Sinking Fund contributions, no annual increase in Maintenance Charges in order to keep pace with inflation, and so on. The bottom line is that bad debts mount up, the condo running costs increase each year outpacing the actual income, and the necessary major renovations never actually get done. Or if they do, years late.

Look around. How many well maintained fifteen to twenty year old condos do you see?

Something to bear in mind is that even a poorly built condo with good management may be a better bet that a well built condo with bad management.

JC3

Last edited by JC3; Apr 27th 2016 at 3:39 am.
Old Apr 27th 2016, 3:31 am
KK Resident - Retired

Hovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of light

We were told never buy a property built before (I forget the year) when the building code was law. We did, and the concrete kept cracking as it was mixed using sea sand that was full of salt and rusted the reinforcement. We spent money having it derusted and using an epoxy based concrete. It was in pretty good shape when we sold it but it cost us a lot.
We bought one built 10 years ago designed by an Architect who did it as his first development and still lives in one of the houses on the estate. They are generally well built to a reasonable standard.
My sister-in-law has just bought off plan a new house completed a few months ago by a new developer who bought everything from China on price and the standard of materials and workmanship is absolutely appalling. It seems the approach should be to closely examine the track record/performance/philosophy of the developer, the specifications, the drawings and the subcontracting plan.
Old Apr 27th 2016, 8:21 am
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute

I recently vacated an apartment in a 20 year old condominium block in Penang. The big problem I found was the lack of sound proofing between the apartment upstairs and mine. For example, I could hear:
  • Lights being switched on and off
  • Dog scampering across the floor
  • Doors being closed
  • Door hinges squeaking
  • Vacuum cleaner being used
  • Chopping of vegetables etc.
I don't know if this is a problem common to older apartments in Malaysia, but I have lived in apartments all over the world and have never experienced such clear noise intrusion from neighbours.
Old Apr 27th 2016, 8:42 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with JC3 that maintenance is often lacking and that (longer term) planning for maintenance is not in place. Resulting in lack of funds if suddenly something breaks down. I notice it in the building where I live: they are refurbishing the lifts. This work is already ongoing for more than four months. The lifts that have been refurbished hardly look any better than the ones which have not been dealt with. Apparently they choose the cheapest of the price quotations....
But if the construction was not good from the starting point, then it is unrealistic to expect it to become any better through renovation.
Old Apr 27th 2016, 9:14 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SushiFan
Apparently they choose the cheapest of the price quotations....
They being locals? Which makes one wonder if it's better to find a condo where there is a high percentage of expats? Just a provocative thought.
Old Apr 27th 2016, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by teejaydee
[*]Doors being closed[*]Door hinges squeaking
Are you sure you weren't being haunted?
Old Apr 27th 2016, 1:51 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

They being locals? Which makes one wonder if it's better to find a condo where there is a high percentage of expats? Just a provocative thought.
Not from experience in Sarawak. Here anything sold to expats is made even cheaper and shoddily than for locals who are more able to effectively complain.
Old Apr 28th 2016, 12:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Gunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond repute

But for the quality of maintenance, it may be another ballgame....
Old Apr 28th 2016, 2:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

I can't comment as the decision was made by a general meeting of condo owners before I moved in. And being a renter I don't have any say in the topic anyhow.