Possible to work in KL?

Old Apr 11th 2007, 9:13 am
Account Closed

Tooterelli is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Possible to work in KL?

Hello
My husband who works for the oil industry has been offered a job in Kuala Lumpur. I'm very bad at being a "housewife" so really want to know what the chances are of myself obtaining employment. I'm an executive PA currently working in London. I'm Scottish...so I have a British passport.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Old Apr 11th 2007, 9:19 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possible to work in KL?

Originally Posted by Tooterelli
Hello
My husband who works for the oil industry has been offered a job in Kuala Lumpur. I'm very bad at being a "housewife" so really want to know what the chances are of myself obtaining employment. I'm an executive PA currently working in London. I'm Scottish...so I have a British passport.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Start looking through seek.com there are alot of international companies - but you may find yourself getting only a "local" package - however depending on employer you may find the ole scottish charm rubs off. Is it BP or Shell by chance your husband is going to work for?
Old Apr 16th 2007, 1:32 pm
Account Closed

Thanks Mr Geelong. Hubby is going to be working for a service company (the ones that do the hard work!)
Old Apr 19th 2007, 5:23 am
BE Enthusiast

galba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud of

Hi Tooterelli

My OH is in the oil industry and we've been in KL now for 16 months and we are from Aberdeen. I know of a couple of spouses that have found work here - usually contracting - so it is possible. I don't know all the ins and outs but your OHs personnel department should be able to help or at least point you in the right direction.

It's a fabulous city and just a short flight to many beautiful places in Malaysia and Asia.

Galba
Old Apr 19th 2007, 8:01 am
Account Closed

Fit like Galba!
I'm also Aberdonian (we get everywhere don't we!). That's good news about the work situation. (Hubby is contractor so doesn't have access to the HR dep). I do know KL from my back-packing days and I'm delighted that it's a real possibility that I will be able to find work myself. If you can pass on any other info ie ...did the other girls go to a specific agency or did they send in their CVs directly etc that would be much appreciated.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 9:15 am
BE Enthusiast

galba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud of

Nae bad!

Not sure what they did? Will ask around and see if I can get a bit more info. Who is you OH contracting for?

Galba
Old Apr 19th 2007, 9:53 am
Account Closed

He's working for EM just now but job is going to finish at end of year. Don't know the name of the other company that has approached him...just a contact he's made over the years (as they do!) Who does your partner work for?
Old Apr 26th 2007, 1:53 pm
Just Joined

KLtoon is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Also from Scotland and here with my other half! Wondered if you have come up with any answers on the job front? I have been here a year and going a wee bit crazy as I am also not the housewife type! My boyfriend is self employed here so no big org to help me out
Old May 2nd 2007, 12:04 pm
Account Closed

Hello KLtoon
I'm hoping to hear back from Galba as to how her contacts managed to get work. I've searched job websites with no luck for KL! Have you put a lot of effort into job searching...ie been round agencies etc? I'd been really interested to hear what your impression of the work situation is. I really don't think we'll go if the chances of getting work are extremely limited (been there, done that and didn't like it!)
Old May 7th 2007, 3:10 am
Just Joined

KLtoon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tooterelli
Hello KLtoon
I'm hoping to hear back from Galba as to how her contacts managed to get work. I've searched job websites with no luck for KL! Have you put a lot of effort into job searching...ie been round agencies etc? I'd been really interested to hear what your impression of the work situation is. I really don't think we'll go if the chances of getting work are extremely limited (been there, done that and didn't like it!)
Hi, I have searched sites and in the next few days I will be going to the agencies. I know it is not impossible as I have met a few people that have found work having arrived here and then looked. BUT (there are lots of if, buts and maybes!!) it really helps if you have good contacts within the big companies etc as networking and who you know really helps here. However I have been assured that it is possible so will keep on trying. I have had a few dead ends as some malay people that had all the enthusiasm and promises have let me down so I am going on the don't hold my breath track these days! will see what happens....
Old May 7th 2007, 7:18 am
Account Closed

Good luck. Would love to hear how you get on. I know it can be a hard slog and frustrating at this point.
Old Aug 12th 2007, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

amienleo is an unknown quantity at this point

there are a few job recruitement websites in malaysia... the most famous site will be www.jobstreet.com.my and you may try for www.jobsdb.com as well... hope it helps...
Old Aug 12th 2007, 3:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Amazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to burst your bubbles ladies. I lived in KL for five years and although there may be work out there for expats they are few and far between. You will be over there sponsored by your husband's company probably. In my experience if there are any jobs going it will go to the local population and rightly so as it is their bread and butter so to speak. The only difference will be if it something particularly that they do not have a not of experience of they might then turn to expats. Join the groups and associations around there will be something that might be up your street to pass time ie sports, music, and all of them do an awful lot of fundraising for the local charities and have fun at the same time. You will in turn also meet some lovely people who may become good lifelong friends. I wish you all well in your time there and I am very jealous as it is one of my favourite places to have lived in.
Old Oct 28th 2007, 6:01 am
Just Joined

Neva is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Tooterelli,

Did you make the decision to move to KL in the end?

Did you discover any work opportunities there?

We are investigating the possibility of moving over there if hubby gets a job offer. But, I hear that 'trailing spouses' may find it a tad difficult getting a job themselves.

I was interested to hear what Amazing Grace wrote - that there is charity work going. It would be good to hear what kind of volunteer opportunities with the charities there are. I am working in radio at the moment, but have a background in PR and marketing too...

It would be nice to hear what you decided to do in the end...

Neva
Old Oct 28th 2007, 1:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Amazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond repute

If you are looking for voluntary charity work Neva, it may have been filled by now but I know that the Association of British Women in Malaysia were looking for a PR Marketing person for the committee(this position is voluntary work only) so if you type in the association in a search engine it should come up with their website and what they do and contact details. There is always a good chance of finding work if you are a teacher. Another work possibility can be the High Commissions and Embassies but it isnt often when positions become available and then they are only paid local salary. It is unless you have a contract to go out there to work word of mouth but I wish you luck in your quest for work, it MIGHT happen

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.